Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Here is shot that one guy took from the skydrive video and it shows correct AO and shadows, even though image quality is awful ;)
That's much better. Probably a bug in that other pic then.

Of course there is SSDO in Ryse. And yes, it makes a huge difference.
Well I can only go via the images I've seen, and someone posted a shot lacking in that which was my point of reference.

What happened to Crytek not being happy that the new consoles don't have 12 gb of RAM ;) ? Cevat was dissappointed at the 8gb announcements. He was expecting min 12 gb and wanted 32 gb last year :D

I've always assumed statements like "OMG we need 12GB of RAM!!1!!11" was little more than political campaigning. I'm sure they want as much as they can get, but they are probably happy with what they got.

Just got a chance to play it again. Got to the forest in Britain. My god is the game even more gorgeous now.

Also, found what I think is an easter egg.

At the start of the level (The King) in the forest after you kill the first 2 barbarians, there's a path that splits off to the left of the main path. Following it down takes you to a green collectible by some wrecked boats in the stream. If you just idle there for a while, eventually the camera will focus onto a skeletal arm holding a sword rising out of the water.

I'm guessing this is an easter egg, as I haven't figured out a way to get the sword or interact with it in any way as it's in the stream and you can't reach it.

Regards,
SB

Just got a chance to play it again. Got to the forest in Britain. My god is the game even more gorgeous now.

At the start of the level (The King) in the forest after you kill the first 2 barbarians, there's a path that splits off to the left of the main path. Following it down takes you to a green collectible by some wrecked boats in the stream. If you just idle there for a while, eventually the camera will focus onto a skeletal arm holding a sword rising out of the water.

I'm guessing this is an easter egg, as I haven't figured out a way to get the sword or interact with it in any way as it's in the stream and you can't reach it.

Regards,
SB

Excalibur? It is Britain, so I guess that would make some sense. Lady in the lake died holding it up so long?

Arthur and the KotRT came well after the Roman invasion. And, as you say, she was in a lake, not a stream.

Actually, that movie starring Clive Owen and Keira Knightly implied the legend of Arthur and KothRT might have been based on stories/personalities from a period of time closer to the Roman occupation of Britain.

Could just be movie BS though.

I actually had a chance to play this at my brother-in-law's house last week. Graphically speaking, its pure graphics sex (err, eye candy). The only negatives, is the repetitive gameplay and moves… half of the time, the combos seem to activate themselves with little effort – in an odd pre-canned nature. The framerate isn’t that bad, but some abnormal screen tearing brakes up the beauty. Anyhow, I give it an A- for graphical presentation and a C- for gameplay mechanics.

Side Note: It’s not really a negative, but more of a weird observation. Sometimes, the scenery has this odd feel/look of a miniature green-screen movie set… like the character is disjointed at times from the actual scenery. Not a biggie, just odd at times…

Arthur and the KotRT came well after the Roman invasion. And, as you say, she was in a lake, not a stream.

That's the commonly accepted version that Arthur was a Britton or a Celt. But more recent studies have been linking him to being from the Roman Empire. Of course, no one has any definitive proof, so we'll never really know.

Not like Ryse isn't taking some liberties with historical truth anyway. :) Multiple appearances from what may be godlike beings. In one case, one saves him from drowning in the invasion of Britainnia, which explains how he can swim in armor.

Regards,
SB

I actually had a chance to play this at my brother-in-law's house last week. Graphically speaking, its pure graphics sex (err, eye candy). The only negatives, is the repetitive gameplay and moves… half of the time, the combos seem to activate themselves with little effort – in an odd pre-canned nature. The framerate isn’t that bad, but some abnormal screen tearing brakes up the beauty. Anyhow, I give it an A- for graphical presentation and a C- for gameplay mechanics.

Side Note: It’s not really a negative, but more of a weird observation. Sometimes, the scenery has this odd feel/look of a miniature green-screen movie set… like the character is disjointed at times from the actual scenery. Not a biggie, just odd at times…

As you play more and unlock moves, you will find that the mechanics improve... you are very limited to start... like any other game. Also you have to remember that in terms of realism you are only dealing with a sword for pretty the bulk of the game. There is also a stun/slo-mo trigger when you slam your shield into the ground.

If you mean the execution QTE combo's, those will finish regardless of whether you do them correctly or not. Thus, unlike some games in the past, it doesn't punish you for not doing the QTE correctly. But you won't get bonus XP by using the correct button presses. So, you'll get "recruit" hits during the combo instead of Centurion -> Legendary -> Perfect.

As to the combat. In Britannia now it's getting a bit more varied.

So far up to where I've gotten. Don't read spoiler if you don't want to know what type of enemies you'll encounter.

Basic Guys - attacks can be blocked or dodged. And you have to Sword - Sword - Shield Bash - Sword - Sword to get them into execution range.
Shield Guys - attacks can be blocked or dodged. And you have deal with the shield before you can damage them. Either with shield bash (throw them off balance), Pilum throw (removes shield), heavy attack (can break through shield block) and then you can Sword attack them.
Heavy attack guys - attacks can only be dodged - otherwise same as basic.
Archers - same as Basic Guys but instead of rushing you, will stay at range shooting arrows at you.
Dual Wield guys - have to dodge or block 3 attacks in a row. Have to use heavy shield bash or heavy sword attack before you can go into normal attacks. Although 3 perfect blocks will also open them up for 2 normal attacks before you have to use heavy.

Hopefully more unit types unlock as I get further in the game. From the progression menu, I'm guessing I'm about halfway through.

And at one point I had 10-15 guys attacking me at once with a varied mix of unit types. Hectic.

If you want a challenge, don't use healing executions.

IMO, the combat still seems varied enough that I'm not groaning to myself about any repetition. So far, if you like Batman style combat, then the combat here is similar enough (want to keep a high combo going for XP bonus) that it should remain engaging.

Regards,
SB

Regards,
SB
Those levels are drop dead gorgeous! :oops:

I am replaying the game now on Legendary after I completed it once. I kiiiiinda like this game. Thing is... I have 10 Xbox One games already and I play very little, but I am progressing calmly.

Soooo. essentially if i want to do well on the gladiator multiplayer "solo" I have to buy combo packs? Thoses levels are so difficult with minimal healing that its a travesty. This microtransaction thing for an already fully priced game is truly out of control.

Yeah, I guess the best way to voice your opinion about microtransaction content is with your wallet.

I haven't bought Ryse yet, because I'm still afraid the game play is too ass for me.

Yeah, I guess the best way to voice your opinion about microtransaction content is with your wallet.

I haven't bought Ryse yet, because I'm still afraid the game play is too ass for me.

Its great fun actually. But im now peeved with this microtransactions stuff...

This game is actually pretty fantastic if you play it on the higher difficulty setting.

The graphics are unbelievably good. The best ever in any game. Period.

The story cinematics are great.

Reviewers were wrong.

Back