Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Those shots are not compressed. Its upscaling and grain filter that unfortunately diminish some details and clarity.

Are you sure about that? I just checked and it's indeed .png, but I don't know how if they were converted from .jpg to .png.
The top one looks like it could be from a FMV, because a lot of detail seems lost. My only explanation is that the loss of detail is because of video compression.
Unless the game uses a Blur AA solution ?

I figured there was a lot of detail because I have seen a lot of high res screenshots, I'll try to find some for comparison

Is the first image from a cut scene and the second in game?
Both are real time. Surprisingly enough, the game looks better running in real time than in the FMV videos, by far.

Ryse to me is the most graphically advanced game that has ever graced a console. They nailed the art style too.

The generational leap is so huge. As I said, it could pass for CGI, 2D graphics quality images where aliasing is non-existent and artists can draw everything coherently without taxing the hardware.

It doesn't need to resort to the shiny-shiny textures that plagued games on the PS3 and X360 as a way to make a texture look more metallic or impressive. -they went as far as adding those plastic effects to the tarmac in racing games-

You could easily use the realtime graphics of Ryse for games which feature characters moving in pre-rendered scenarios, such as Resident Evil. They are that good.

From GAF ! Wow ! Wishing and hoping Witcher 3 brings such goodness with it.

11088721855_35237783a5_o.png

But I have to say the blur in all of Ryse spoils a lot.
And that's how you do godrays right: subtly. Not as if they were coming from a supernova.

I made some progress tonight and I couldn't believe I was playing a game at times. There are moments it feels like a Hollywood movie.

Besides that I have had a proper boss fight once and for all, it is something I don't remember happening frequently anymore. It was a challenging but not frustrating confrontation, very balanced, and the setting was ideal for that fight. It reminded me one of those 3D fighting games, like Soul Calibur.

I mean the fight with the girl....

The prettiness of that level was sublime. This game surprised me.

tried the multiplayer last night, that was pleasant surprise. had no idea what was going on most of the time but wow did it look good.

Are you sure about that?
There's no evidence of macroblocking, so no lossy compression in effect.

Unless the game uses a Blur AA solution ?
It's not a blur AA solution, but there is a uniform blur applied.

The shots are good, but the lack of some AO solution really hurts the 3 dimensionality. I hope high quality GI-style lighting becomes a standard this gen. Otherwise, this gen won't be as much of an advance as it could have done with being.

Todd Pappy has joined Crytek, they also have the Darksiders 2 devs on board: maybe the sequel will have more exciting gameplay now.

edit: Todd was the game director of GOW: Ascension.

The shots are good, but the lack of some AO solution really hurts the 3 dimensionality. I hope high quality GI-style lighting becomes a standard this gen. Otherwise, this gen won't be as much of an advance as it could have done with being.

They are using 3th generation of their SSDO tech in Ryse.

I think (((interference))) is not being literal about the two buttons combat.
Still you can't deny that Ryse move set is very limited compered to AC combat: no grab, no counter, no disarm, no reverse, no distracting moves (dirt in the eye), no ranged attacks mid combat.

It does have ranged attacks mid combat. Its triggered by LT+RT.

It also has two button heavy attack.

Todd Pappy has joined Crytek, they also have the Darksiders 2 devs on board: maybe the sequel will have more exciting gameplay now.

edit: Todd was the game director of GOW: Ascension.

That game was the very antithesis of excitement though. I don't think I've played another PS3 game from Sony that felt anywhere near as pointless and cynical.

They are using 3th generation of their SSDO tech in Ryse.
Well it's pretty hit and miss then. The second pic doesn't integrate the helmet at all well. In fact the lighting looks all wrong, looking at the cast shadows and comparing to the face, the illumination on the face should be coming from straight on whereas the sun is off to the right. :???:

Well it's pretty hit and miss then. The second pic doesn't integrate the helmet at all well. In fact the lighting looks all wrong, looking at the cast shadows and comparing to the face, the illumination on the face should be coming from straight on whereas the sun is off to the right. :???:

I can only speculate, because i'm not the one who was taking this shot, but normally You cant get as close to the face with camera, even when facing to the wall.
So maybe he's somehow in geometry or bugging in geometry to get camera as close.

Here is shot that one guy took from the skydrive video and it shows correct AO and shadows, even though image quality is awful ;)

ibt14ip4mr8iV6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I completed the game. I've never seen anything like this, even on PC. The forest level, the York level... I was awestruck while playing them. It's the perfect game to show to your friends on a well calibrated display.

I'd score it with a 7,5. The game is fun, it has a good gameplay and it gets a lot better after the second act. The final part of the game though kills all the mood from the previous, truly excellent acts.

There are many cinematics and the story -while it wasn't going to win any award- gets dumber then, especially disappointed by the fate of certain character which I admired (I was with the Britons, lol).

With this new guy on board and if they can manage to keep the gameplay and situations as good and original as they are in certain parts of the game, like in this wonderful stage....

.... then Ryse 2 can end up being something very unique.

I completed the game. I've never seen anything like this, even on PC. The forest level, the York level... I was awestruck while playing them. It's the perfect game to show to your friends on a well calibrated display.

I'd score it with a 7,5. The game is fun, it has a good gameplay and it gets a lot better after the second act. The final part of the game though kills all the mood from the previous, truly excellent acts.

There are many cinematics and the story -while it wasn't going to win any award- gets dumber then, especially disappointed by the fate of certain character which I admired (I was with the Britons, lol).

With this new guy on board and if they can manage to keep the gameplay and situations as good and original as they are in certain parts of the game, like in this wonderful stage....

.... then Ryse 2 can end up being something very unique.

I enjoyed everything in the Britain campaign. every level, the pace, everything. After the Britain levels not as much.

I hope the new guy doesn't make a God of War clone for Crytek because that would be a game I would not buy. I want an RPG from Crytek....not some soulless wannabe Devil May Cry...ugh.

Back