Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Ok, so I stuck with it and played a bit more, opened up two new strong attack moves, which doesn't sound much , but added a much welcome change of pace. Also done a few more missions (think I'm on the 4th one now) and I must admit to being even more impressed with the graphics now that I'm out of Rome. The arrival near Dover and the trip up to York ( though as someone born near there I have to question the amount of sunshine.....) looks fantastic. Few new enemy types make things a bit more interesting as well.
Definitely worth a look if you want to a game to show off 'next-gen'

That is very interesting indeed. Would be nice to find out what the reason was. If it was for a better user experience I'm all for it.
Yes, loading, but also production time constraints. I felt that it should have been more realtime, but day 1 was brutal.

It's all recorded from in game though, there were only minor changes in post.

this review is fairly spot on. it wasn't as boring and mindless as some of the reviews say. the storyline is similar to the movie gladiator in that its somewhat of a revenge/homecoming story. the visuals are lush and quite spectacular in some places. there were only two scenes that I remember clear fmv being used... the rest was in game.

the execution driven kills weren't tedious and dud not feel like QTE. they are totally optional but satisfying because they grant you the power of charms (xp, focus, health etc.) which you really need in order to make it through some combat experiences.

Because of "realism" of course the attack mechanisms can get repetitive. how many types of punches can you throw in real life? jab, straight, cross, uppercut and roundhouse. imagine wielding a shield and sword and how many effective attacks you actually have. outside of swimming with armor, there aren't too many supernatural or augmented aspects to gameplay.

Sword, shield, plays, stationary crossbow and catapult... at least so far are what you have access to.

I just finished the landing campaign, achieved my centurion and an heading battle at York
the landing level was the first level that really went deep in terms of battle scale, phalanx types techniques and visuals. its a moody dark scene throughout. the contrast between water and fire as is the reflect off of sand and wood is pleasant and realistic.

theres no judder, tearing or dropped frames noticeable in play and the main character beautifully rendered and visible at all times. I still need ginger ale to play this sadly... maybe I'm getting too old for videogames. I can't do marathon sessions anymore.

this review is fairly spot on. it wasn't as boring and mindless as some of the reviews say. the storyline is similar to the movie gladiator in that its somewhat of a revenge/homecoming story. the visuals are lush and quite spectacular in some places. there were only two scenes that I remember clear fmv being used... the rest was in game.

the execution driven kills weren't tedious and dud not feel like QTE. they are totally optional but satisfying because they grant you the power of charms (xp, focus, health etc.) which you really need in order to make it through some combat experiences.

Because of "realism" of course the attack mechanisms can get repetitive. how many types of punches can you throw in real life? jab, straight, cross, uppercut and roundhouse. imagine wielding a shield and sword and how many effective attacks you actually have. outside of swimming with armor, there aren't too many supernatural or augmented aspects to gameplay.

Sword, shield, plays, stationary crossbow and catapult... at least so far are what you have access to.

I just finished the landing campaign, achieved my centurion and an heading battle at York
the landing level was the first level that really went deep in terms of battle scale, phalanx types techniques and visuals. its a moody dark scene throughout. the contrast between water and fire as is the reflect off of sand and wood is pleasant and realistic.

theres no judder, tearing or dropped frames noticeable in play and the main character beautifully rendered and visible at all times. I still need ginger ale to play this sadly... maybe I'm getting too old for videogames. I can't do marathon sessions anymore.

Ha, don't worry, I am still at 66% of level one, so I should get at least a few months out of this game. ;)

Yes, loading, but also production time constraints. I felt that it should have been more realtime, but day 1 was brutal.

It's all recorded from in game though, there were only minor changes in post.

Are all cutscenes without hud FMV?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all cutscenes without hud FMV?

So far yes.

I just had my second next Gen moment: In the fight to capture Oswald in the caves of York two men came out to fight me with dual flaming swords... Wow. I'll see if I can capture that for SkyDrive sharing.

Haha,I died to them last night and called it a night in disgust! :) . They do so much damage but look **** excellent :)

A lot of depth of field used in the nighttime scenes on the "edge of the world" level. The play though is a lot more varied than the reviews say. The story although not deep is sufficient. This isn't one of those games with multiple quests and side quests and so many attacks that you have to re train yourself if you step away from it for a week. Its a focused and tight linear story that makes sense ultimately. Along with gorgeous visuals along the way. Its a fun play so far and I'm on noob. I couldn't imagine this on hard actually.

I'm not sure the reviewers got past level 2 of this game.

A lot of depth of field used in the nighttime scenes on the "edge of the world" level. The play though is a lot more varied than the reviews say. The story although not deep is sufficient. This isn't one of those games with multiple quests and side quests and so many attacks that you have to re train yourself if you step away from it for a week. Its a focused and tight linear story that makes sense ultimately. Along with gorgeous visuals along the way. Its a fun play so far and I'm on noob. I couldn't imagine this on hard actually.

Nice!!!

Thats news ! I did watch another playthrough yesterday but it was the usual, the youtuber lpaying it was sick of the same attacks and kept praising the visuals but laughing at the game itself. The IGN guy who said the game is fine also said that if u have to pay for it then he won't recommend it, but since he got it for free,he found it good enough. He put it above KZSF for him. So that would mean KZSF is also not worth paying $60, for him.

I guess the trick for such games is what I did with AC, short sessions spaced out between days. That really keeps theh game fresh and interesting. And people love AC combat, so there is no reason to like. Ryse's combat. I don't see much difference.

Thanx for the impressions, it doesn't sound like a per se bad game from what u say.

Keep them coming till the end. :) and yes the skydrive videos of thebest Vistas please :cool: ! MS should add a screenshot function soon.

Played through the first chapter. Yeah, the game is stupidly nice looking.

Combat on hardest difficulty reminds me of batman and AC games, in a good way.

I'm loving the executions .

I think there will be a rendering talk at GDC. I hope I can get sth. submitted for Siggraph about the geometry caches. There is already a writeup about the shading here: http://www.makinggames.de/index.php/magazin/2391_ryse__the_transition_to_physically_based_shading

Not in the office currently and I can't remember each of them. But for example the cinematic after entering the palace for the first time and with the burning ball thing on the bridge are realtime.

Funny enough even I sometimes had a hard time telling it apart without debug overlay. But if you look close you can spot block artefacts on the FMVs.

Digital Found Vs Ryse article is up here

Summary (parts of)

Crytek has faced a long and difficult road in the development of Ryse. As a game that began life on Xbox 360 as a Kinect-exclusive title, we imagine that the final product seen here today shares very little in common with the original design. And yet, despite the challenge this must have represented, Ryse stands as the first real technical showpiece on the Xbox One that delivers visuals that exceed anything we could have experienced on a last-generation console. It also serves as proof positive that a lower-resolution output can still deliver excellent, clean results. When it comes to delivering attractive results, image treatment is a critical part of the equation that a higher resolution alone will not solve.

However, despite all the technological finery on offer, the limited and repetitive gameplay make Ryse difficult to actually recommend as a prospective purchase.

And has been posted many people on this very forum who've played the game are fine with the gameplay. Your constant posting of mediocre web reviews is getting very old.

Back