Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

So Crytek pulled a Naughty Dog with the cutscenes. How disappointing.

Yeah...as I said when the trailer were shown: if they are indeed real-time, then Ryse is best looking game to me...well, I guess we have to wait for the next Crytek game on PC to get a new best graphics champion...for me, still Crysis3 @ultra it is atm.

I am curious if DF will investigate the differences of cutscene tec and real-time tec?

Then they are unintelligent to begin with.
I assume they made a high resolution model >a million polys, even for last gen.

There was a significant change in art direction when a new studio took over; and also a serious increase in detail level. The x360 assets would not have been able to stand up to the x1 version. It usually doesn't make sense to sculpt and paint detail into your highres model that will never be seen, it's a waste of artist time.

Are people actually surprised by the ass game play? Crytek are not game designers, they are technology people. If the game looks good, they've done about all they're capable of doing.

I'm guessing you don't like Crysis series at all, but Far Cry was pretty fun and original at the time.

If this game ever goes on sale, maybe I'll play it just to see the visuals, depending on how many other games are out that I want to play, and how much time I have. My gaming time is dwindling, so I tend to only have time for a couple really good games.

I mean, if you watched the video Sessler says that he was surprised at how fun it was. It turns out it isn't that fun, but this just gives me another reason not to ever believe the words of a journalist who played a game for about 5 minutes.

I always treat previews with suspicion for this reason. Previews can be a good indicator of the technical competence of the game at that stage of development but never for the prolonged gameplay or the story. There are lots of games that are fun for 10 minutes or an hour but lose their appeal soon after.

I will say after watching a few dev videos, they do love the combat system they have built. This game will sell just on graphics, but I am a bit curious as to why MS did not provide more assistance. Add in a Dead or Alive type combat system and it could have been interesting.

It makes sense, this is from the company that said that a game is like 60 percent graphics and gameplay comes later. It might as well be a Quantic Dream game(no offense David Cage!) I dunno. I've played Crysis 1 on 360, enjoyed it. But Crysis 2 and 3 didn't really have much going for them because the selling point of Crysis 1 was pretty much gone and the story was forgettable(although the basic gunplay was okay). I know most PC gamers didn't want corridor environments, but emergent gameplay based in a sandbox.

The crytek of today is far from the dev who made farcry. Ironic that out of Crytek's hands, the people who got the IP became a success simply by keeping what was good about that first attempt. Want to see what Farcry 4 can be like on Xbox1/PS4

It makes sense, this is from the company that said that a game is like 60 percent graphics and gameplay comes later.

No, they said that 60% of game is presentation. And presentation is not only graphics, but also art style, voice acting, physics and game direction. And when You look at games like any ND game or Bioshock Infinite, how cant You agree?

Considering how ham fisted and poorly executed their past few games have been, it seems even while saying that,they don't understand how to properly implement art direction, style, voice acting or game direction. Something Irrational and Naughty Dog seem to excel in while making some good gameplay.

And now for Crytek, even proper gameplay has fallen to the wayside when atleast with crysis 2 and 3 you could say shooting people in the face still felt satisfying while it looked pretty.

Beh, guerrila and crytek should team up to make a technical outhouse for various developers to farm their wares from. They'd make a killing.

Cause it seems they've both stopped making good games in the process of making everything shiny.

I understand, launch games and everything. But at the very least with Ryse, this game has been in dev hell for years and years.

I'm still excited about this game and can't wait to get to playing it. I've avoided many of the "walkthrough" spoilers so far in order to get that untainted first experience.:smile:

Sorry, but all this BS talk thst Crytek can't make good games...booo! Just not true. Crisis 3 has superb gameplay, especially for an FPS...best I've played since years.

Imo, the problem of Ryse is that it was originally a Kinect game...

Yeah I dont care about reviews. I am still getting Ryse at midnight cst. Journalists can only give you their opinion. They cant tell you if you personally will enjoy any game. Also crytek has always had decent gameplay. Crysis 2 is good , but I enjoy Crysis 3 the most out off all Crytek games so far.
I enjoy hack and slash gameplay and hopefully I will enjoy Ryse.

I think playing it on hard in small doses will be the key to enjoying it.

Agreed, when I was younger I could play through a whole game in one sitting but nowadays I only play about 2 hours at most in one sitting. I also try not to rush through a game and instead take my time and savor the scenery and environments.

Back