Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

The Revgamers guy is very surprised with Ryse, in a good way. :smile2:

In fact he expected it to be generic but he defined it as the most surprising launch game of the console, and a lot of fun.

Things look promising for this game!! An IGN editor just confirmed to me that the game is indeed a lot of fun. He told me that the most common criticism Ryse is receiving is related to the duration of the game.

He also told me that he prefers a game you can beat in 8 hours but it's fun than a game you can beat in 40 hours and it isn't.

Like I said , Good luck Crytek. Hope your first Non-Crysis game, after so many cancelled projects, does well and is received well, but this fan will wait for your next game. Please make it multiplatform. Also, looking for detailed tech pdfs next Siggraph.

Will also be looking forward to videos of cool areas from all you guys getting the X1 here :smile: ! We all want to see those pretty graphics.

I think the game will be a solid launch game with a 74ish meta. Also, I would like to see Crytek make a trilogy exclusive on one platform. Just to see what they try. Watching ND progress was impressive last gen.

Gameplay looked solid enough in the gamespot stream. I'd say it's definitly the prettiest game so far, or at least looks like it's doing the most next-gen stuff/effects we haven't seen on console before.

Which are also quite polished.

It's so strange, noone ever argues with me when I write good things about Naughty Dog's stuff.

Yeah its weird how people's acceptance of information can change when the game being discussed is an exclusive to a console they dont particularly care for.

I imagine they threw out all the assets as well as they were made with X360 poly and texture budgets (that's 2005 hardware, FYI)
Then they are unintelligent to begin with.
I assume they made a high resolution model >a million polys, even for last gen. The reason being even if the final model is only 10k polys you generate a normalmap from the high res model.
Same with textures it costs practically nothing to downscale eg 2048x2048 -> 512x512, yet you can't go 512x512 -> 2048x2048 without loosing details (contrary to what gets posted here about 'magical scalers' ;) )
In your art pipeline you should always work with the highest resolution assests, its only at the final stage 'for production' should you downscale them.
Now I dont think crytek are honestly that dumb

I agree its one of the best looking next gen titles made so far

Then they are unintelligent to begin with.
I assume they made a high resolution model >a million polys, even for last gen. The reason being even if the final model is only 10k polys you generate a normalmap from the high res model.
Same with textures it costs practically nothing to downscale eg 2048x2048 -> 512x512, yet you can't go 512x512 -> 2048x2048 without loosing details (contrary to what gets posted here about 'magical scalers' ;) )
In your art pipeline you should always work with the highest resolution assests, its only at the final stage 'for production' should you downscale them.
Now I dont think crytek are honestly that dumb

I agree its one of the best looking next gen titles made so far

The only thing they might have had to make again would be characters. I am guessing all environment art carried over from the previous version. Even if it was Kinect title, it was still set in Rome. I think thats the very reason why this game is so graphically polished compared to other launch titles, as half of the art was already done. They must have focussed mainly on characters and all the tech effects they can manage in the new hardware.

Its not as if Crysis 2 and 3 were not "lookers" on ps360.

The Revgamers guy is very surprised with Ryse, in a good way. :smile2:

In fact he expected it to be generic but he defined it as the most surprising launch game of the console, and a lot of fun.

yt]MwPB_AvO5aY[/yt
http://revision3.com/host/adam-sessler

They didn't seem to like it very much.

edit: that seems to be a generic link... now points to Forza 5 as of now. Anyway... they gave it a 2/5. Will be posted when the embargo is lifted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eurogamer 5/10

Joystiq 5/10

Pretty but boring was their opinion.

There's no brains, no muscle, no fibre beneath Ryse's extravagantly engineered good looks - this game rings loud but hollow. Crytek likes to contrast Marius' moral strength with the vanity and cruelty of Nero and his made-up sons, but Ryse feels like a product of their dying empire. It's just empty decadence.

The closing wordsa re very harsh.

The closing wordsa re very harsh.
Indeed they are, and I didn't like it. The score might be okay, not going to argue that.

But there are journalists who believe they are beyond good and evil.

They think that they can write off a company because of a game/series of games. Crytek are very talented people, they still have to find that gameplay touch to make their games better.

I kinda expected the scores but I want to play this game badly because of the Hollywood like technologies they used to create it.

http://revision3.com/host/adam-sessler

They didn't seem to like it very much.

edit: that seems to be a generic link... now points to Forza 5 as of now. Anyway... they gave it a 2/5. Will be posted when the embargo is lifted.
I haven't found the review anywhere, but I expected a better score from them.

I mean, if you watched the video Sessler says that he was surprised at how fun it was. It turns out it isn't that fun, but this just gives me another reason not to ever believe the words of a journalist who played a game for about 5 minutes.

He scored Forza 5 well though.

As I said in another thread...who the hell cares for reviews and scores? I remember back then, Heavenly Sword didn't have good scores either...but it was a blast to play and absolutely gorgeous for me...and not only it was so good to look at.

Ryse looks so good to me graphically, that I want to experience it just because of this alone and suck in all the details and the tec goodness! Gameplay to me looks good as well, so again...ban all gaming reviews...naooo!!!
:)

Metacritic sits at 61% currently - 4 positive review 24 - mixed to negative (2) reviews.

I guess we now know why MS embargoed the reviews of Ryse until the 11th hour. And, not to gloat or anything, I did call this earlier in the thread. Looks amazing buts it's going to be a boring button masher.

Still, I'd like to see some user reviews on Metacritic, see how much of the shiny rubs off in the gameplay.

actually thought Crytek pull some kind of magic with the cut scenes, since they look so much better than the game now that I have found out that they are FMV, graphics is not so impressive anymore. Shame that I though by this gen, everything can be done in real time now. I know KZ has some scene rendered in FMV but most real time.

As I said in another thread...who the hell cares for reviews and scores? I remember back then, Heavenly Sword didn't have good scores either...but it was a blast to play and absolutely gorgeous for me...and not only it was so good to look at.

Totally agree about Heavenly Sword. Such a gem which was hated so much and called a 5 hour game when it wasn't. Even the Main Menu was so awesome. Nariko i still my most favourite female protagonist ! And the music was sublime too. Andy is still the best Villain :yep2: !

Hey Billy, do provide us with lotsa screens when u get ur copy of Ryse. :smile: The 2nd chapter had so beautiful sunlight in the GS preview.

EDIT:
DF analysis of framerate, it dips, in fact stays around 28-26 fps, looks beautiful though :

Last edited by a moderator:
Are people actually surprised by the ass game play? Crytek are not game designers, they are technology people. If the game looks good, they've done about all they're capable of doing.

actually thought Crytek pull some kind of magic with the cut scenes, since they look so much better than the game now that I have found out that they are FMV, graphics is not so impressive anymore. Shame that I though by this gen, everything can be done in real time now. I know KZ has some scene rendered in FMV but most real time.

Yeah, those story trailers with the gifs flying around of it were definitely too good to be true. Tbh I think we'll be able to achieve quality similar to it in real time a little later in the gen.

Back