Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

When I see environments like these I dream of an RPG type game where you could buy/trade weapons, talk to people and go on quests etc.:smile:

The gameplay looked fine on Gamespot's play through of the first bit. There seems to be at least some depth to it. Hit the finishing move hues when they show up for exp and to make it look cool. You can also just keep hacking away instead.

It's a Very pretty game.

Is that so? Dead Rising review from kotaku is out today and someone had told me all X1 reviews were going live today 6am.

They staggered review embargoes according to IGN...

Monday @ 9am EST was...

• Dead Rising 3
  • Killer Instinct
  • LocoCycle
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Zoo Tycoon

Tonight @ 11:59pm EST is the Xbox One hardware/platform

Tomorrow morning @ 9am EST is Forza 5

Thursday morning @ 6am EST is Ryse.

Tommy McClain

They staggered review embargoes according to IGN...

Monday @ 9am EST was...

• Dead Rising 3
  • Killer Instinct
  • LocoCycle
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Zoo Tycoon

Tonight @ 11:59pm EST is the Xbox One hardware/platform

Tomorrow morning @ 9am EST is Forza 5

Thursday morning @ 6am EST is Ryse.

Tommy McClain

ok, so they are keeping news trickling in everyday, not all in one go. I am expecting "higher than I expect" reviews for Ryse. The game is not for me at all, but I love Crytek.

Good luck Crytek.

So Ryse reviews are revealed the day before XB1 is available?

That's not a loaded question, BTW. I'm curious why the trickle, but I don't want to enter that discussion. Just wanting to understand how the reviews stack up prior to hardware release.

So Ryse reviews are revealed the day before XB1 is available?

That's not a loaded question, BTW. I'm curious why the trickle, but I don't want to enter that discussion. Just wanting to understand how the reviews stack up prior to hardware release.

It's slightly strange to wait that long but I suppose it builds anticipation. Though according to GI.biz the first wave of XB1 games are, like the PS4, a little underwhelming.

It certainly looks the part.

If it's not the best launch title that won't down to lack of production values.

Gamespot preview, almost whole first two chapters.

Very Very pretty :cool: , but I feel Like I have seen every execution 20 times in those two chapters itself. If it was me , I wouldn't have an inclination to play it further. Feels like the same thing over n over n over. I know, it can be said for every game, but the point is to put it in a way the player won't notice and stay engaged. I don't think there's any change to the combat since they first showed it at E3.

Like I said , Good luck Crytek. Hope your first Non-Crysis game, after so many cancelled projects, does well and is received well, but this fan will wait for your next game. Please make it multiplatform. Also, looking for detailed tech pdfs next Siggraph.

Will also be looking forward to videos of cool areas from all you guys getting the X1 here :smile: ! We all want to see those pretty graphics.

@Shifty: I know people are being cautious in every thread, not to disturb anyone, but fear of bad reviews is a well justified reason for delayed embargoes too. EA did it for MOH Warfighter too, so that no one got time to cancel pre orders after the reviews. We literally could not ! We have already heard some bad previews, while some good ones too. Maybe, MS is just being cautious. No one wants bad press before launch. Maybe their fear is unjustified and Ryse gets good review everywhere. Though, if that was the case, MS would let the cat out before Forza's reviews, as Forza is a proven franchise. But even if most of the reviews are god, MS might just want that one or two bad reviews tucked in for as long as possible. Its a good move fro their side.

My prediction: it will get mixed reviews. Some will be bowled over, after all the presentation is impeccable ! Smoe will just not like the combat, like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're also having problems getting the games out to reviewers. Some not being able to try multiplayer/get the updates yet.

Forza 5 should review well enough, that's also embargoed.

The more I see of Ryse the more it feels dissimilar to God of War. The combat is a little more like the Batman Arkham series, but the brutality and the tone reminds of of Gears of War. Sort of Gears of Rome, or something. Obviously Gears was not a hack and slash game. Maybe Gears of Rome City.

I'm taking 16 vacation days before the end of the year. Maybe I'll end up playing more games than I thought. For now, unless reviews are very positive, I think I'm just sticking with BF4.

The more I see of Ryse the more it feels dissimilar to God of War. The combat is a little more like the Batman Arkham series, but the brutality and the tone reminds of of Gears of War. Sort of Gears of Rome, or something. Obviously Gears was not a hack and slash game. Maybe Gears of Rome City.

I'm taking 16 vacation days before the end of the year. Maybe I'll end up playing more games than I thought. For now, unless reviews are very positive, I think I'm just sticking with BF4.

If I were to say, the combat is more like Assasins Creed than Batman. Playing AC4 right now, it feels exactly like this or even more limiting than this. Press the button the game asks you to: thats all there is to AC4 fighting. Even the glowing enemy thing is there too. I have to keep looking to the top right of the screen for the button prompt or at the enemy, cos "break Defense" prompt comes up on the enemy. If you ignore it, you can keep bashing attack/block/breakdefence/counter button, but u r going to fail. Anoying as hell. Ryse seems forgiving in that regard.

Back