Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

It's not going to help much with anything that's interactive. Games tend to be very interactive...

The demo they showed (On that presentation right after E3 when they said Marius had 150k polys) they said the tech could also be used to speed up real time interactions... They even showed an example where they could break some wood buildings in real time.

The game looks great I am sure it will sell a bunch but there is that weird uncanny valley thing with the attacks and finishing moves. It's worse now that you can see the results of limb being chopped off because you have a well rendered barbarian, after losing a leg, now has a cartoon version of a ham where his stump would be.

I understand why you would not want too much gore and blood and such but I think that they should have rethought the value of dismemberment if they aren't able to render it with the same alacrity as the rest of the character. An odd point but one that may affect other titles from both consoles. Maybe they should have thrown in a bunch of leggings or arm leathers or something to tatter and obscure some of the ham boney nature of the "clean cut" of the sword.

I had the same thoughts. That cartoon hambone looks frankly awful.

Just watched the 601mb footage and it seems very soft/blurred. Are they using the same AA method as Crysis 2 which used to blur the whole image in the process? Or is it due to upscaling? Or is it intentional to glue the whole image together.

Reflections look cool, looks like all next gen games will be using them a lot.
Waiting for Crysis 4.

Just watched the 601mb footage and it seems very soft/blurred. Are they using the same AA method as Crysis 2 which used to blur the whole image in the process? Or is it due to upscaling? Or is it intentional to glue the whole image together.

Reflections look cool, looks like all next gen games will be using them a lot.
Waiting for Crysis 4.

IMO the other two videos are better.

EDIT: I guess not the same AA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AA they used provided the film like quality they're trying to achieve.

Cevat Yerli: MSAA is quickly getting bandwidth-bound and thus expensive. With a deferred shading based renderer the bandwidth consumption is getting prohibitively high. For Ryse we developed our custom SMAA 1TX, in essence it is a combo of morphological AA with smarter temporal anti-aliasing. It's a new robust and fairly efficient technique which we shared some details about at Siggraph this year. It's a solution which deals with any signal input changes in order to smooth out potential shimmering during movement, while masking out any potential ghosting, and together with shading aliasing solutions it provides a more filmic image quality overall.

Holy sh!! This looks amazing to me!

Looks like an architectural walkthrough , doesn't it. How times have changed, rendering such stuff for clients used to be fun but very very time consuming as render times were sky high. Now we are getting similar quality lighting in realtime in Ryse n KZ. :smile:

Floating

Blurry face melt

Floating

Ground textures are blurry - shadowing seems wrong

Whole image has grain - similar to RLE artifacts in GIFs.

It just seems that the image quality is very variable and the latest shots, whilst they still look great, seem to have lost a lot of definition the earlier shots had and seem very grainy\blurry.

How are they floating when You dont even see ground on those shots?
How are shadows wrong? And You hardly can see details on the ground because of contrast here, so how did You determined its low res?
And is it first time You've seen grain filter used in game?

You're so reaching.

The animations for the QTEs look very good. The QTEs involving multiple enemies look like they're staged very well. It looks like the combat has sped up, and the enemy counts have increased since the first reveal. I still feel like there is not enough to it, to make me want to get it. Batman just seems to be a lot faster, because you can't block, so you always have to keep moving, and with so many enemies there is always timing counters and evades to worry about. On top of that you have a multitude of gadgets to add variety, as well as all the unlock attacks and takedowns. Ryse just looks like the same sword and shield the whole way through. That could be ok if they had a lot of special moves you could do, but it doesn't seem like there are any. It's just straight two buttons for attacks with nothing else.

I actually hope it succeeds, because there is a lot of potential where a sequel could be very good.

Back