Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

I don't think it's an accusation, but I don't want to go much further with it - we just have to wait and see how it plays out. For now, there's not even an announcement for any multiplatform titles, but I expect that to change quite soon after the release of Ryse.

As for UE4 based stuff, well, the two engines are actually very close in technical ability, so the decisive factor will be the content and the artwork. The Infiltrator techdemo looked really good, but it was also free of realistic faces, which Epic hasn't really done too much of in the past.

I don't think it's an accusation, but I don't want to go much further with it - we just have to wait and see how it plays out. For now, there's not even an announcement for any multiplatform titles...
If CryEngine isn't being used for any multiplatform titles, CryTek has basically failed as a business. ;)

Well, it looks like MS wants to keep Ryse as an exclusive exclusive for a while, as in the only nextgen Crytek game. They might have even payed for that, we'll have to wait and see how many months it takes for an announcement.

OT but I read that Arkane Austin will use CryEngine.

Edit
Isn't' Homefront 2 multi-platform?

Last edited by a moderator:
We're stuck with violence as the main interaction in video games until there's more to it than pointing and clicking/pressing. Bring on voice and those fairground rigs out of The Lawnmower Man.

Well, it looks like MS wants to keep Ryse as an exclusive exclusive for a while, as in the only nextgen Crytek game. They might have even payed for that, we'll have to wait and see how many months it takes for an announcement.
But CryEngine 3 is being licensed, presumably.

CryEngine trailer showing 14 licensees including PS4's "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture." I guess that one's not multiplat, but something on those 14 titles might be. Of course, budget is going to have a huge impact on results, so it's not as if a CryEngine 3 title on all platforms would automatically be a suitable comparison with Ryse, which, I guess, won't make CryTek money (given its 7 years development, costs must be massive). Few games will be afforded the luxury to really push the art and design like Ryse has - it's a flagship title for MS's launch.

Yes of course, I'm only talking about the suspicious lack of announcements. There has to be a LOT of titles well ahead in development and ready for a showing. It's just that MS probably arranged to have all the publicity for the first nextgen Cryengine game at least until its release.

As for costs and profits, the original project was a much smaller scale production, the Budapest branch was little more than 100 people and the asset production did not involve scanning or p-cap at all. The entire game was scrapped as far as I know, but I doubt it'll amount to more than 20% of the final costs.
So Ryse is basically an ordinary AA+ launch game, but with a previous life as an unfinished generic A title.

Graphics are very impressive, but gameplay just looks boring. I really appreciate what they've done visually, but the combat just looks way too simple.

Previews are generally much more positive than reviews. Publishers controls what is previewed and show the best of the game. I would expect some Lair like reviews in the future.

We halso have a brutal beatdown of Ryse by Game Informer
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ryse_son_of_rome/b/xboxone/archive/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-is-as-fun-as-dialing-phone-numbers.aspx

Joystiq was also unhappy with the game.
edit - also Shacknews and Destructoid [Dale North had to ragequit the game at the preview event]

Are people actually surprised by these responses? It always looked liked like a tech demo that played like Viking: Battle for Asgard. All style, zero substance.

It's ms shouting out 'look our console can do pretty graphics too' at launch.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

Gamespot preview

So closely does the camera focus on the violence (and Marius' back) that I was frequently attacked by enemies I couldn't see, making it all but impossible to counter their blades. Outside of combat, moving around as Marius wasn't very satisfying. The levels I played were as linear as they come, and every time I tried to move outside Ryse's limited corridors, I jittered and bumped against the geometry and invisible barriers. Marius can leap and climb when the game wants you to, but he can't step over a single fallen beam if it isn't what developer Crytek had in mind.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ryse-are-you-not-entertained/1100-6415901/

Back