Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

You're assuming the higher resolution output would have equal fidelity as the lower resolution....where is that coming from?
thats how it generally works.
1. name one game on the PC where you change the resolution and the pixels become lower quality. true you have options to change resolution and often separate options to change graphics quality but not linked
2. youve got it backwards anyways, Ive shown the higher framerate & lower res example you used the GPU is working harder (also the CPU but we'll ignore that) so if Hypothetically your scenario exists then the only way is for the lower res example to have simplier quality shaders NOT higher quality like youre suggesting.

mate give it up, youve lost logically, change your sig to something that makes sense or else you'll just keep on looking foolish.

On fixed hardware they make trade offs.

For Ryse they went with 900p and more complex shaders instead of 1080p.

PC devs aren't going to write 12 different skin shaders for 12 different GPUs. So if your PC can't handle 1080p with current shader then you have to drop resolution, but get nothing back for that downgrade. Not true for console games.

thats how it generally works.
1. name one game on the PC where you change the resolution and the pixels become lower quality. true you have options to change resolution and often separate options to change graphics quality but not linked
2. youve got it backwards anyways, Ive shown the higher framerate & lower res example you used the GPU is working harder (also the CPU but we'll ignore that) so if Hypothetically your scenario exists then the only way is for the lower res example to have simplier quality shaders NOT higher quality like youre suggesting.

First of all my sig is describing the general idea of wanting higher frame rates at lower resolutions vs higher resolution at lower frame rates. It has nothing to do with a specific game running at 1080P vs 1050P and getting those exact frame rates. As far as the math goes sure it doesn't compute but guess what? The notion doesn't change if you run the game at 1080P at 40fps which of course is the mathematically correct frame rate when compared to the same game running at 1050P@48fps with a fixed fillrate budget. Are you happy now? :rolleyes: I'd still take the lower resolution and higher frame rate.

mate give it up, youve lost logically, change your sig to something that makes sense or else you'll just keep on looking foolish.

No I'm not going to change my sig because one weirdo figured out the math doesn't compute while totally missing the point. I think you're the one looking foolish. My sig makes sense...you're just not getting it and hung up on the math...case closed. Now if I said I'd rather have 1680x1050@56fps vs 1920x1080@48fps I'd be lying...because at that point the frame rate is high enough for my liking.

On fixed hardware they make trade offs.

For Ryse they went with 900p and more complex shaders instead of 1080p.

PC devs aren't going to write 12 different skin shaders for 12 different GPUs. So if your PC can't handle 1080p with current shader then you have to drop resolution, but get nothing back for that downgrade. Not true for console games.

Exactly...I think zed is incorrectly assuming that since the fill rate is there to output at 1080P you could simply lower the resolution on a PC game and magically get better shaders. Going by that logic we'd be able to get all kinds of neat shader FX by running PONG at 640x480 on the latest GPUs.:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the GIF that shows the gold chain moving:

http://i.minus.com/iXkF67ZQdSTZ4.gif

It is a lot more pronounced in the actual trailer.

The pendant moved slightly that's it. The golden chain is a texture mate.
15wksap.jpg

Most of it is supposed to look flat and the parts that aren't(pendants and show on) look pronounced.

The pendant moved slightly that's it. The golden chain is a texture mate.
15wksap.jpg

I'm sorry but that picture only proves that it's actually modeled and not just a texture.

Also if it's just a texture explain how the entire chain moves in the above GIF I posted.

They used some sort of parallax mapping on the chains just the same as Kratos' chain, the effect can look pronounced but it's not actual geometry.

You know this how? Do you have any confirmation of this or are you just guessing?
Someone needs to provide a close-up where the camera rotates around the character, changing the relative alignment of the links (although that could still be done with a lot of different chain textures). The concerns about the chain being a texture are numerous and compelling, such that it'd be a remarkable use of the graphics and processing budget to render and simulate a complex chain that makes up barely any part of the scene.

TBH I don't understand why people are fascinated with the chain and not the facial modelling and shading and animation. Chances are the chain is just a texture because the console is busy rendering everything else. Surely the line of discussion ought to be, "Yeah, the chain's a texture, like every other game. Look at the people though! They're awesome," rather than, "This game is awesome. It'll be awesome in every single way. Even the chain will be a dynamic mesh, such is Crytek's insane attention to detail here."

Clothing still looks flat with zero detail.
What are you expecting on a 1.2 TF console? Multi layered cloth simulation with rendered-mesh level collisions? The material may well look far from real, but I think you're being unnecessarily critical with regards expectations. Unless complex, accurate fabric simulations are commonplace, there's not really need to point it out. We can point a lot of real-world features this game hasn't got but that'd serve no useful purpose. Our discussion should focus around realistic targets and features for next-gen.

Someone needs to provide a close-up where the camera rotates around the character, changing the relative alignment of the links (although that could still be done with a lot of different chain textures). The concerns about the chain being a texture are numerous and compelling, such that it'd be a remarkable use of the graphics and processing budget to render and simulate a complex chain that makes up barely any part of the scene.

TBH I don't understand why people are fascinated with the chain and not the facial modelling and shading and animation. Chances are the chain is just a texture because the console is busy rendering everything else. Surely the line of discussion ought to be, "Yeah, the chain's a texture, like every other game. Look at the people though! They're awesome," rather than, "This game is awesome. It'll be awesome in every single way. Even the chain will be a dynamic mesh, such is Crytek's insane attention to detail here."

Well it's mostly people looking for things to complain about and make the game look bad. The GAF thread about the story trailer had a 10 page argument about elbows and how they were "too bulky" and flat looking.

People are free to mention anything that interests them, and people are free to ignore people they think are contributing nothing of worth. I don't understand the obsession lots of folk have with trying to argue with someone considered to be trolling. If the starting point of the discussion was just to make trouble, why enter into a discussion with the troll? :???:

Only discuss with people if you think they have a point worth talking about.

People are free to mention anything that interests them, and people are free to ignore people they think are contributing nothing of worth. I don't understand the obsession lots of folk have with trying to argue with someone considered to be trolling. If the starting point of the discussion was just to make trouble, why enter into a discussion with the troll? :???:

Only discuss with people if you think they have a point worth talking about.

Well personally I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that some people are generally asking honest questions that they don't know the answers to or having a hard time understanding. However you're right within 2-3 posts you should know for sure if someone is trolling or not and ignore them.

So this is my launch game for the XBOX1?

How does this work, what is the gameplay, the only video i saw was "Arena" fighting, is it a bunch of fights in different settings or is there more?

From my understanding the arena is like a coop sandbox type obstacle course fighting area which is a separate mode of the game? The main single player game is a linear story driven 3rd person sword based fighter. Think Gears of War with swords and shields.

From my understanding the arena is like a coop sandbox type obstacle course fighting area which is a separate mode of the game? The main single player game is a linear story driven 3rd person sword based fighter. Think Gears of War with swords and shields.

Nice :)

No I'm not going to change my sig because one weirdo figured out the math doesn't compute while totally missing the point. I think you're the one looking foolish. My sig makes sense...
Sure It makes sense ............ if you ignore the fact the maths doesnt add up

So you would have no probs with me using approx the same maths in a sig like
I'd rather have 1280x720 at 48fps than 1920x1080 at 30fps (sig approved by RudeCurve)

or since maths doesnt really matter, its just the idea that counts perhaps
I'd rather have 320x240 at 48fps than 1920x1080 at 30fps ... (sig approved by RudeCurve)

.I think zed is incorrectly assuming that since the fill rate is there to output at 1080P you could simply lower the resolution on a PC game and magically get better shaders. Going by that logic we'd be able to get all kinds of neat shader FX by running PONG at 640x480 on the latest GPUs.
mate it was you that brought up the different shaders argument, which you had backwards as well (but yes if you run at 640x480 Im sure you could make a nice looking pong, the shaders etc wont magically appear you will have to create them )

If people want to nitpick its easy to do it with every game no natter how good it looks. Until consoles become powerful enough to render Beowulf in real time its pointless and silly to nitpick why some stuff arent looking 100% like the "real thing". I still cant believe this game is nitpicked for the visuals they showed in the latest trailer. Even at 900p what this game does isnt just a testament of the console's capabilities. It also shows painstaking attention to detail and work from the artists and the developers to get so many subtle details right that many other games have failed to do so in the past. Show some respect.

edit: Oh and btw. This is a launch title and looks way beyond anything we have seen

Back