Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Is it not the nature of this kind of job?

Well lets change the math so that would make it 38 days if they have 300 members on the team.

If they provide well for their employees, like Kojima sent everyone on paid leave for months n vacation after crunching to finish MGs4, then it makes it a bit better. But having gone through it multiple times and lost quite a bit of my health due to it, my views are pretty clear about it. When I was the lead for a DVD version of The Jungle Book, my first priority was : no overtime for my team! I managed it such that we finished it in time and except for me n one compositor no one in the texturing, lighting or compositing team had to work overtime. Its do-able. Of course, the management did not think I achieved anything special. Their project got done, one way or the other.

Crunch times are part of this industry, but displaying them as badges : it was okay when teams were smaller, comprising of self driven core creators. But now studios are big establishments and it doesn't take long to turn into a sweat shop.

Hence, my views about the overtime. We did have that ugly R* episode too when wives had to put an open letter on the internet to bring the injustice to the fore as artists kept slogging fearing loSing their job.

If over two years everyone worked an extra one hour a day, would that eliminate crunch time?

Unlikely... Crunch usually starts when all the requirements for mass producing content are there.

Now these requirements in game development are usually the responsibility of a small group of people: core function and tool programmers, lead level designers, writers, conceptual artists. So there could be an argument to make just these people work more, but in my experience these guys tend to be leads and they usually do work more than the others.
Also, a lot of their work depends on communication and decision making and these are processes which usually don't benefit from longer work days.

900p FTW! ;)

Not to gush, but this is amazing. I think for my opinion, we finally have a console generation where you can tell a great story and have a great looking game. Truly can't wait to see what others give us down the road.

As to the crunch time comments - it is so easy to start coding at 8am and look up and see that it is 3am. I have to set alarms on my phone to remind me that time moves. I am sure everyone is treated fairly and over-time is completely in tune with work/life balances. I just don't see this as slave labor (not saying B3D here).

I think the lighting looks fantastic in this game.
It certainly does, and when the roman noble appears it just goes to show how good the lighting is in this game. It looks real, or CGI like real even.

:oops:

r4.jpg

This one is so good I can't believe it is from the game. :oops:

r5.jpg

A couple of gifs: :)

http://i.minus.com/ibwKAtLBIiLev3.gif

http://i.minus.com/iui8T1nh7rdjf.gif

A new Damocles trailer shows that there are going to be some supernatural elements in the game.

To see the improvements in how the game looks now vs E3, pay attention to the scene where he was making a speech with his back to his squad. The detail in their amour looks vastly improved. Ditto the lighting and post-process fx. The game is looking phenomenal. I have had it on preorder since the MS E3 press conference.

Back