Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Graphics in that stonehenge area look really good. The executions look great. The gameplay ... I don't know. The way he moves just seems so slow and herky jerky. It's hard to play "brawler" style games after Arkham City and not see the same kind of smoothness and flow to the movement.

The Stonehenge lighting is phenomenal and probably the most natural I've ever seen. The water in the water based level is similarly excellent but incomplete. Moving through water looks great. When objects splash in the water, the effect is HORRIBLE. Almost Sega Saturn transparency horrible. Definitely needs work.

In terms of gameplay, I think they took the always-in-the-arena style fighting mechanic to the extreme which I don't think was necessary. I have seen enough executions in slow mo to be satisfied. Ok we get it. LOL. Clearly a single, fully encumbered legionnaire is superior to a horde of axe wielding barbarians wearing fur pelts and leather. /s

I would prefer a focus on conquest management, career growth in the roman legions, troop logistics and Roman technology development.

The Stonehenge lighting is phenomenal and probably the most natural I've ever seen. The water in the water based level is similarly excellent but incomplete. Moving through water looks great. When objects splash in the water, the effect is HORRIBLE. Almost Sega Saturn transparency horrible. Definitely needs work.

In terms of gameplay, I think they took the always-in-the-arena style fighting mechanic to the extreme which I don't think was necessary. I have seen enough executions in slow mo to be satisfied. Ok we get it. LOL. Clearly a single, fully encumbered legionnaire is superior to a horde of axe wielding barbarians wearing fur pelts and leather. /s

I would prefer a focus on conquest management, career growth in the roman legions, troop logistics and Roman technology development.

Go play Rome Total War 2 :LOL:.

In my opinion It's the grass that's pretty good.

Yes that grass makes me itch when I see it! Makes me excited to see what open world rpgs can do.

Go play Rome Total War 2 :LOL:.

In my opinion It's the grass that's pretty good.

:LOL:

I know I know.

Open world rpgs this time around will be great. I also really like the character models. I still think its more of a tech demo than game. I'm waiting to understand the game goals at this point. Visually its a very good start for xb1

Are there even ranged weapons? Two-handed weapons? Gameplay just looks sadly lacking. :???: I enjoyed the Mass Effect 3 MP a lot, but there was at least some semblance of variety to the gameplay. Even enemy variety...

Why would you ever need anything but a Gladius? Oh, I think I remember in the E3 demo you got to point at stuff you wanted your men to fire a catapult at, or yell for your men to throw spears.

Why would you ever need anything but a Gladius?

XD

Oh, I think I remember in the E3 demo you got to point at stuff you wanted your men to fire a catapult at, or yell for your men to throw spears.
Suddenly it feels like a poor man's Kingdom Under Fire. :/ Can't help but feel an MP-only design would have helped focus them... maybe. *shrug* (Gladiator Imperius!) Throw in some [strike]kinectimals[/strike] lions. American Gladiator-like obstacle/mini-games *ahem* :p

Are there even ranged weapons? Two-handed weapons? Gameplay just looks sadly lacking. :???: I enjoyed the Mass Effect 3 MP a lot, but there was at least some semblance of variety to the gameplay. Even enemy variety...

In some of the Arena gameplay video's they showed the player being able to pick up Pilums from a rack and then throw them at enemies, mostly to remove shields (what they were used for in real life). AFAIK, those are the only ranged weapons Roman Legionnaires (heavy infantry) used. Archers were all in the Auxiliaries (light infantry, skirmishers and calvary).

Regards,
SB

Well, I was thinking there ought to be more weapons of opportunity in the gladiatorial arena. :p (The only reason I mentioned ranged was because of that one fight in Gladiator where one or two folks had cross-bows, not exactly practical under normal circumstances, but this is supposed to be a big arena). There are lots of different CQB weapons.

Well, I was thinking there'd be more weapons of opportunity in the gladiatorial arena. :p

If they were gladiators then I'd imagine they'd have access to nets and bolas.

Also one section showed the player as manning what looked like a mini-ballista.

Guess we'll have to see where they draw the line between being historically correct and having a fantasy game (1 man killing hundreds of barbarians :)). Although personally it would be a bit jarring if the storyline had the player playing as a Legionnaire and then giving him a bow. Unless there was some kind of plot twist midway, like he defects to one of the barbarian tribes or something.

Regards,
SB

So, has Crytek confirmed the native resolution of Ryse yet? I know DF has claimed 1080p but will there be fishy stories just like the ones from Killer Instinct?

So, has Crytek confirmed the native resolution of Ryse yet? I know DF has claimed 1080p but will there be fishy stories just like the ones from Killer Instinct?

Devs said to DF that its native 1080p, also no one who played GC/PAX demo said that it looks upscaled. At least i havent seen any similar claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the outline effect. I'd rather have the icons above the enemies heads. Somehow the outline is more distracting to the presentation.

Devs said to DF that its native 1080p, also no one who played GC/PAX demo said that it looks upscaled. At least i havent seen any similar claim.

By that I hope it's 1920 x 1080 not some 1280 x 1080, Crytek tricked us this gen with suedo 720p on consoles so I hope it's not suedo 1080p this time around.

Well, I was thinking there ought to be more weapons of opportunity in the gladiatorial arena. :p (The only reason I mentioned ranged was because of that one fight in Gladiator where one or two folks had cross-bows, not exactly practical under normal circumstances, but this is supposed to be a big arena). There are lots of different CQB weapons.

Same here i think if they keep it with only sword and shield as weapons in coop mode.
It will get boring fast.

They are using mystical powers in co op mode, I am sure they won't be worrying about historical accuracy. From the history I read Romans could not call lightening from the sky ;) ! My guess is, we will have more weapons for variety. Atleast , we should.

Back