Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

This is definitely a game that shows what a true next generation title should look like and cast all concern about console specs out the window...
Really? It looks like God of War with a grittier and more realistic edge. Not bad, but not exactly envelope-pushing stuff either.

Graphics look really great, actually. The gameplay however, looks ... quite bad. :(

It does have an air of a tech demo, very glossy graphics but really simple gameplay. I think it would be fun for a while but once you've got used to the gloss its going to get boring pretty quickly.

Really? It looks like God of War with a grittier and more realistic edge. Not bad, but not exactly envelope-pushing stuff either.

God of War is way overrated and looks like a current gen game...sorry doesn't even compute...

It does have an air of a tech demo, very glossy graphics but really simple gameplay. I think it would be fun for a while but once you've got used to the gloss its going to get boring pretty quickly.

At least it's not another FPS with the same formulaic military theme that looks current gen uprezzed..:LOL:

At least it's not another FPS with the same formulaic military theme that looks current gen uprezzed..:LOL:

I guess if you like men in skirts it might entertain for a bit longer. It just looks like a shiny God of War, with Heavy Rain game mechanics, and a dodgy framerate.

This is definitely a game that shows what a true next generation title should look like and cast all concern about console specs out the window...

Agreed.

It is getting a bad rap from the bad e3 demo but I for one am glad to see crytek taking some chances and yes the graphics are pretty spectacular for a launch title already

God of War is way overrated and looks like a current gen game...sorry doesn't even compute...

GOW is a current gen game.

And, BTW, I am sure buzzwords like POM, HDR, high res textures,more polygons,etc have no part in making Ryse look good. and it could be done on an X360 if it was running at 720p, isn't it? Do bring in Crysis 3 screens of X360 and show us how it looks just the same !

;)

No, please do not turn any threads on B3D into game versus especially when it's from a subjective point of view.

Looks alright, can't say it's blowing my mind like some other titles but it's not bad for a launch game. Really don't care about the MP for this game, wanna see more SP with a brighter environment.

Please don't wink at me, i'm happily married.

Move on... we don't want to get modded out of the discussion...

I do rather like the idea of Ryse, it has the potential for a good game. However given the current videos from both E3 and hands-on videos from gamescon they still have a lot to do gameplay wise. I can't really see the depth of the combat system yet and changing from buttons to colored outlines doesn't free them of being accused of QTEs if that's what they plan on doing.

Agreed.

It is getting a bad rap from the bad e3 demo but I for one am glad to see crytek taking some chances and yes the graphics are pretty spectacular for a launch title already

Also watching the behind the scenes stuff and presentations of the tech etc from Crytek and MGS you know there's a lot of production value going into this game. I was very surprised they stated that development began on this game over two years ago. Definitely a preorder for me even at this point.

Move on... we don't want to get modded out of the discussion...

I do rather like the idea of Ryse, it has the potential for a good game. However given the current videos from both E3 and hands-on videos from gamescon they still have a lot to do gameplay wise. I can't really see the depth of the combat system yet and changing from buttons to colored outlines doesn't free them of being accused of QTEs if that's what they plan on doing.

In which case almost all consoles games are QTE games. As that prompt is no different than prompts to open a door, or initiate a stealth attack, or an icon to pick up something off the ground, or grabbing someone like in a recent game that many people on this forum really like.

At least it isn't something like certain platformers where you cannot kill bosses or just tough normal mobs without running through a string of QTE prompts.

Regards,
SB

In which case almost all consoles games are QTE games. As that prompt is no different than prompts to open a door, or initiate a stealth attack, or an icon to pick up something off the ground, or grabbing someone like in a recent game that many people on this forum really like.

At least it isn't something like certain platformers where you cannot kill bosses or just tough normal mobs without running through a string of QTE prompts.

Regards,
SB

...Are we seriously equating QTEs to prompts opening doors, picking up items and stealth killing enemies...? :no:

They could just have a hardcore mode where nothing is shown and you do it Dark Souls style.

(that'll shut them up...)

...Are we seriously equating QTEs to prompts opening doors, picking up items and stealth killing enemies...? :no:

I also mentioned how some games like TLOU use your definition of QTEs quite liberally. Every single grab and takedown of an enemy is a QTE in TLOU by your definition. By my definition both TLOU and Ryse aren't QTEs as they are not [Q]uick [T]ime [E]vents that must be timed and executed in order (like GOW for example) otherwise you can't take down certain enemies. They are just prompts notifying you that you can do a certain ability now if you want, but you don't have to. In other words, just like prompts to open a door, open a drawer, search a chest, etc.

Regards,
SB

I also mentioned how some games like TLOU use your definition of QTEs quite liberally. Every single grab and takedown of an enemy is a QTE in TLOU by your definition. By my definition both TLOU and Ryse aren't QTEs as they are not [Q]uick [T]ime [E]vents that must be timed and executed in order (like GOW for example) otherwise you can't take down certain enemies. They are just prompts notifying you that you can do a certain ability now if you want, but you don't have to. In other words, just like prompts to open a door, open a drawer, search a chest, etc.

Regards,
SB

Please don't reinvent a definition and then take it into a argument.

From wiki

In video games, a quick time event (QTE) is a method of context-sensitive gameplay in which the player performs actions on the control device shortly after the appearance of an on-screen prompt. It allows for limited control of the game character during cut scenes or cinematic sequences in the game. Performing the prompted action improperly or not at all results in the character's failure at their task and often in an immediate game over.
Grab and Takedowns, and opening doors, drawers, chests, you can do whenever you like.
These are not time sensitive, instead, they are completely context sensitive. If you can stand behind a guy for 10 minutes without him noticing you in TLOS, you can take him down ANYTIME.
The fact that something on the screen tells you "you're targeting this object and voila, you can use this move" doesn't make it a QTE.
On the other hand, the "glow" execution "event" in Ryse (that occurs AFTER you initiate the execution), in fact, ARE time sensitive, and the failure to do that will result you not being able to do it again.
Again, we're not talking the "skeleton head" above the enemies once their HP have reached a threshold. Instead we're talking about the "glows".

http://youtu.be/U2Wgd8gZA9o?t=8m10s
8:10, is precisely what we're talking about.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/the-brutal-proactive-combat-of-ryse-son-of-rome/

Executions are short quick-time events that let you finish off enemies in bloody, brutal ways.
That's good, because the prompts come and go very quickly, and it's easy to fail an execution (I failed nearly all of mine during my brief session). Even if you do fail, however, your character will still perform an execution. It just won't be as impressive and won't give you the related reward.
You don't have to take down a lot of the enemies by QTE in GOW either, many of them go down after a lot more hits. Bosses excluded. And we haven't seen any real bosses in Ryse yet I believe.

Context sensitive actions are not quick time events. Context sensitive does not have the "limited time interval" suggested by the absence of the words "quick time" in them. And even if "quick time" is not specific enough... in the "context" of what we are talking about (videogames), that is just what the term quick time events mean.

If context sensitive actions were quick time events, then every click of the mouse would technically be a QTE... and that's just wrong... TLOU is not Ryse, and Ryse is not TLOU, and Ryse is not RE4 either, because press "X" to open the door is not a QTE in RE4, though RE4 does have QTEs otherwise.

If context sensitive actions were QTE, then every single game would be a QTE since you need to hit Start to begin.

People at the conference apparently are saying it is overall fun to play, just from reading around and videos anyway.

Back