Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

What's revealed so far doesn't do it for me either. Some talk about mystical elements may cause me to change my mind, but so far, I am underwhelmed.

I don't particularly care if it goes realistic, or fantasy. All I care about is if the gameplay is good, but so far the combat they've shown looks pretty boring to play.

They say there's more to it and the gameplay demo was very simple.

It looks more interesting than Crysis at least.

Yeah, pretty to look at but the lack of depth really doesn't make me want to buy this.

I mean, looking at Xbox One launch titles, this is launching side-by-side with Dead Rising 3. From what I've seen of both, that's a no-contest decision.

For a game like this to work, unless you're just button mashing through hordes of enemies, you need to have some pretty tight combat controls with a variety of attack options and moves to make this interesting. It looks like a very slow and simple game, with basic block and simple light/heavy swings. Haven't seen anything about evading, parry, riposte or different sword combat moves you can do.

I mean, looking at Xbox One launch titles, this is launching side-by-side with Dead Rising 3. From what I've seen of both, that's a no-contest decision.

For a game like this to work, unless you're just button mashing through hordes of enemies, you need to have some pretty tight combat controls with a variety of attack options and moves to make this interesting. It looks like a very slow and simple game, with basic block and simple light/heavy swings. Haven't seen anything about evading, parry, riposte or different sword combat moves you can do.

DR3 looks pretty boring just like the previous two DR games and the graphics are weak to boot. Sure you could use different weapons to beat up hordes of zombies but it's still the same boring stupid defenseless slow roaming weaponless zombies with stupid AI controlling them.:???:

Boring pretty game > Boring ugly game

I just played Ryse at a product fair. You can tell that this game is a 360 port at times. The lack of global HDR is a relic of the past generation. With it, Ryse will easily pass for true next generation title.
Any specifics on this? CryEngine uses HDR lighting since version 2.

The problem in CryEngine is that all the values are arbitrary, it's not a physically-correct renderer so all the values have to be eye-balled.

It looks more interesting than Crysis at least.

Not really.

It's the setting and character stuff they show something of the video above. Gameplay shown has be slow and simple, but there's promise of more.

If their HDR is anything like Crysis 2's and 3's, than what you noticed is the lack of eye-adaptation/variable-exposure. That's what was lacking on those games, but the renderer actually was in HDR still.

Coool gfx ! Love the concept of changing arenas in the same colosseum, gives it that gamey oomph :D ! I am guessing all thw slo mo moves are qte moves with prompts removed.

Looking at it, it reminds me more of Batman's free flow combat where well timed hits automatically slow down combat as well as giving some visual flair to give you visual feedback.

Or, like Batman's combat again, when you down the last guy it REALLY slows down the game.

Either way lots of ways to do it without requiring it to be QTE based.

Regards,
SB

But we have seen how it works in this one.

So, MS has given no release date, yet this trailer clearly says November. So, XbOne and PS4 head on in November :D ! I want to be in a store with salesmen trying to convince me to their respective side :D

Dang if it is only humans based enemies in coop then it will be fun for like 2~3 rounds.
So much they could show too hype it up more.

I hope at least it will have pvp. Im done with the horde mode coop gameplay for atleast a long time.
Unless they can surprise me with like lift in an elephant or lion inside the map :p

Back