Rage (id Software)

Rage is all about making that perfect headshot. Even the guys in the demo can be taken down by a single shotgun blast to the face. It's tricky with them jumping about all over the place, but get it right and the game feels just awesome.

And Wingsticks. Decapatation usually gets the job done. Or the Spider Bot against groups of enemies. There is something for every situation, and it's always available to fall back upon.

More gushing about how much I like Rage. It's RPG elements aren't of the "get X amount of XP for the next level" grind. Instead you get quest preparation. You have to stock up on the right types of ammo before heading out. Do it right, and you'll have a much easier time with some of the encounters. Don't, and you'll be stuck with whatever you find during that mission. And the game is fully willing to let you fail if you can't make it. It'll rarely drop you the specific type of ammo best suited for the next encounter. Making the game less predictable, and adding weight to your choice in how you prepare.

This is probably also why the save system works the way it does. Saving only at the start of mission areas, so you can always return to that point where you can still go back and to make better preparations for that mission. And letting you make your own separate saves during missions.

I'm about halfway through Nightmare now. The final mission before heading out of Wellspring. So far it's been a really nice challenge.

Rage is all about making that perfect headshot. Even the guys in the demo can be taken down by a single shotgun blast to the face. It's tricky with them jumping about all over the place, but get it right and the game feels just awesome.

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned a shotgun blast at point blank distance should down enemies regardless of where it hits (not talking about stray shots of course), especially when your enemies are half-naked humanoids. I guess I just expected an ID-designed shotgun to vaporize stuff like in the good old Quake 3 Arena days. It's a traditionally powerful weapon, especially in ID games, and it just feels weak in Rage. I mean why even bother with a shotgun if I have to score headshots at point blank range anyway.

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned a shotgun blast at point blank distance should down enemies regardless of where it hits (not talking about stray shots of course), especially when your enemies are half-naked humanoids. I guess I just expected an ID-designed shotgun to vaporize stuff like in the good old Quake 3 Arena days. It's a traditionally powerful weapon, especially in ID games, and it just feels weak in Rage. I mean why even bother with a shotgun if I have to score headshots at point blank range anyway.

I haven't played any ID games other then Rage for a long time. So I don't know how the shotgun compares. The enemies in the demo take about the least amount of shots to kill of all the enemies in Rage. There are standard enemies in the game that require multiple headshots, although those won't charge at you as fast. To me the guns still feel powerful because of how well the enemy animations adept to your shots. Grabbing wounded limbs, falling over, losing control of where they are going. Vaporizing enemies only happens with explosives, which there weren't many in the demo. I don't remember if it would let you make pop rockets (basically a grenadelauncher round fire from the shotgun), but those are more expensive to make. So I'll only use them sparingly.

I used the pop rocket stuff all the time. Single shot kills most humanoid enemies, except the armored ones and the oversized mutants. It's also cheap enough to make IMHO.

Armor piercing rounds are more expensive and rare. And you can also waste a lot more of those bullets...

Beat Rage on Nightmare. It wasn't really that difficult, and would have easier still if I wasn't so conservative with the better ammo types. Still excellent game.

Rage is a great game with great graphics...but then there is the ending...which is not even a joke anymore...puts the whole game experience from great down to average for me! Wonder how such an experienced game developer fails like this?!?!?

Rage is a great game with great graphics...but then there is the ending...which is not even a joke anymore...puts the whole game experience from great down to average for me! Wonder how such an experienced game developer fails like this?!?!?

That's how I felt, you get to the end and it's like 'Where's the other half of the game gone...?', maybe we'll get the rest as DLC or they'll release a Real Game (tm) edition? Now with extra gameplay...

Bought it in bargain bin, was very satisfied with graphics at 60 fps and overall feel of the game, but as other said, the end was joke ... looked like they run out of money or time

New DLC pack coming next week, sweet.:smile:

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/12/14/rage-dlc-arrives-tuesday-on-ps3-360-and-pc/

Return to the Wasteland in The Scorchers, an all-new RAGE add-on from id Software – arriving on 360, PC, and PS3 next week for $4.99 (or 400 Microsoft Points).

In this brand-new adventure spanning six all-new areas, you will fight alongside new allies to defend the Hager Settlment from a maniacal bandit clan known as The Scorchers. Along the way, you’ll participate in a new season of Mutant Bash TV, encounter new mini-games, and wield the overpowering and brutal Nailgun.

In addition to the new content, this DLC includes ‘Ultra-Nightmare’, a new high difficulty mode, as well as an ‘Extended Play’ option that allows you to play past the original ending of the game – giving you the opportunity to finish collecting items and achievements.

http://bethsoft.com/en-us/games/scorchers

That's interesting! Maybe I could be bothered to finish this game then, I reached the point where you HAVE to participate in racing and just couldn't bring myself to continue. The driving bits were easily the weakest part of Rage by far IMO; vehicle control using a PC keyboard is just teh suck, probably as bad as controlling aiming in a first-person shooter is with a joypad...

Also, I got this on PC, and it's a decent game. I'd say it's not as good as some more open FPS games I've played, but it's still pretty nice. I should pick it back up, I quit for some reason or another, I don't remember why...

Played through the Scorchers. If you like the main game, you'll like this. There are 5 new levels to play through, and you get a new gun. 3-4 hours of gameplay for a small price is a pretty good deal. I'd like to more of this, though I doubt that will happen at this point.

About the DLC ending.
Did they really just put that girl in a room with all your (other) trophies?

Back