Rage (id Software)

I still think that the world's general richness is a good compromise, I don't give much about how a phone looks up close.
?

well...but this fundamentally breaks the illusion during gaming imo and cannot (and should not!!) be ignored for future evolutions of this tech..similar to other "artefacts as e.g. aliasing!

I'm not bothered by it that much and I got this one for my PC, where it runs in 1680x1050...

Interesting, are you sure there's absolutely no dynamic shading on the world surfaces, no speculars or anything?
In the city there is evidence of both normal maps and specular maps in the stores and such, specularity is kept quite low for most of the places.
Specular map is mostly used as a mask for cube maps.

Not sure if the big wasteland scene has all maps.

What I'm sure is that the tech would be incredible for adventure games and/or JRPGs, FF series springs to mind. ;)

The decision to make a world this big might have been a bad one, you see the wasteland imo is mostly boring and is only for driving around and destroying other cars. They could've gone for a smaller world with increased texel density as that is pretty much what's hurting Rage's look right now aside from the image quality and the static world (which I'm sure would've been taken care of it wasnt 60fps)

Bah... that's why I thought they will introduce long range weapons (with assorted scopes and radars) in the game. Long distance warfare can be interesting too (The distance has a natural fog-of-war effect).

How 'bout a weapons pack, Id ?

In the city there is evidence of both normal maps and specular maps in the stores and such, specularity is kept quite low for most of the places.

Not sure if the big wasteland scene has all maps.

That kinda makes sense as the wastelands have the largest surface area, whereas cities are very small and so it's not such a big cost to have multiple layers.

Then again the talk on virtual texturing always mentions a lot of data, 10 bytes or so... they also store other information AFAIK, related to the type of the surface and so on.

Been playing the game some more and I'm really liking id's approach to weapons and ammo upgrades. They've designed it in a way that makes even the "weaker" weapons like the pistol fun to use. My favorite ammo for the pistol has got to be the kill burst rounds. It just looks, sounds and feels badass even though it doesn't do a lot of damage to the stronger armored enemies but it's a challenge to use because you have to constantly reload it after each burst. It works quite nicely on mutants when used in conjunction with the wing sticks allowing you to reload and not be vulnerable.

The Authority bullpup is pretty cool too, though it's not very challenging to use which is expected given it's supposed to be a low recoil PDW. Pretty neat just watching and listening to the reload animation of having a huge capacity top load magazine like that of a FN P90.

As far as the double barrel shotgun...well I haven't used it much yet because it just wastes ammo but i'll start using it soon. I find that's it's more useful against slow mini bosses where constant reloading after each shot is not that critical.

BTW did I mention that the FOV is very annoying? Your peripherals are stretched just like when you use "smart stretch" to fill a 16:9 screen with 4:3 material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I'm really liking the shooting aspect of it. The way it's designed feels really good and makes the pretenders look bad. I haven't had this feeling in a long time. I would say probably since the original Halo. The enemy AI is also top notched, combine that with how the shooting feels, it's the best designed shooter I've played...well....since Halo Combat Evolved but I'm old-school like that so that's my bias.

Yea I'm really liking the shooting aspect of it. The way it's designed feels really good and makes the pretenders look bad. I haven't had this feeling in a long time. I would say probably since the original Halo. The enemy AI is also top notched, combine that with how the shooting feels, it's the best designed shooter I've played...well....since Halo Combat Evolved but I'm old-school like that so that's my bias.

It does feel very good as a shooter. But this is ID, and if there's one thing they really know how to do well, it's shooters. It's like the daddies back in town after a seven year absence. :D

Now all we need are the HD remakes of their back catalogue. I would kill for a bit of Wolfenstein or to wreak havoc in Quake 2 again!!

Poor Carmack, he is getting lynched on twitter from some of the craziest fanboys I have seen:???:
Just look at this...
@ID_AA_Carmack @karehaqt so you answer others but not me? lol I'm not the only one mad, grow up an answer us you coward.
:facepalming till kingdom come:

He still answers really politely.
@JeffHollingswor convince Sony to allow unbuffered hard drive IO and/or free up more OS mem and we can make it better.

This tweets stirred it all.
@Kiddodude we don't know of anything we can do to improve ps3 performance much, especially on wasteland. Tight memory, poor IO performance.

@peppefenix I can make benchmarks that will show either the PS3 or 360 to be superior, so they are close, but I prefer the trades on the 360

That guy acts like the game's totally broken due to pop in on PS3...is it really that much worse than other versions? Or worse than say Crysis 2/Crysis console? I thought it was maybe just a little worse than 360...

That guy acts like the game's totally broken due to pop in on PS3...is it really that much worse than other versions? Or worse than say Crysis 2/Crysis console? I thought it was maybe just a little worse than 360...

Maybe more in some area, but honestly I'm not found it so dramatically different to 360. There are a lot of video on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JeffHollingswor convince Sony to allow unbuffered hard drive IO

What does it mean?

It has worse pop in (than fully installed 360 version) and more resolution drops, other than that it's very good (it even has slighty better framerate). You can eliminate pop-in completly with SSD.

I think its incorrect to use the word pop up here, cause that's not the issue with RAGE. The issue is with delayed texture streaming, on PS3 apparently its a lot more noticeable when compared to the installed 360 ver. (and even here you get quite a lot of it)

Is the SSD HDD version the best then ? i.e., no pop in at all ? If the 360 full HDD install also has many pop ins, then perhaps the tech is too heavyweight at this point.

Using unbuffered IO means less time is wasted copying the read/write buffer in the kernel. But it also means that the app (usually) has to align the buffer to the sector boundary. It may prevent Sony from improving PS3 file system later (or create b/c issues in the future?)

And more memory is of course better ! ^_^

What does it mean?

It means there's a forced delay before the data is made available to the system.

It has worse pop in (than fully installed 360 version) and more resolution drops, other than that it's very good (it even has slighty better framerate). You can eliminate pop-in completly with SSD.

I haven't really noticed the pop in unless I've been looking for it and so far I haven't noticed any drop in frame rate.

Back