Rage (id Software)

Some new videos of Rage are coming, part 1 of 6, Legacy of Id

I've rode the roller coaster on this game back and forth a few times, at first I thought it looked great, then I thought Id had taken too long and other games had passed it by. As we near release though, I have settled into it being almost certainly a buy.

The graphics still look upper echelon imo after all this time, it has a unique look that I rather like, and it should look really nice at 60 FPS.

Edit: hmm, I did forget they use dynamic resolution though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Carmack dropped a couple tweets

ID_AA_Carmack John Carmack
The 360 cache partition performance is much worse than you would expect, due to the required filesystem overhead.

For Rage data streaming, PC HD full install > 360 HD full install > PS3 partial install > 360 HD cache > 360 DVD

Carmack dropped a couple tweets
Seems that I find more and more things I completely agree with him :)

It's good that Carmack is doing heavy stress testing and giving feedback for the console manufacturers about their file system performance. Hopefully the next generation console file systems will be designed for super streamlined random access performance. Every millisecond counts when you are doing virtual texturing.

Carmack is always looking for all the small little things that can in the end make the big thing run better. ;)
Example: his complaint about the lost in input latencies due to the interface of Software and Hardware, He indicated that only a company who hold the both can improve this, his talk what about PC and Window, and indicated that Apple can solve this if they really want. Console manufacturers are in the same position, hope they listen to Carmack.

that's sad for linux, where you have disparate and potentially harmful layers (X server, open source or lousy graphics drivers).
I've witnessed the worst case, getting mouse lag that makes the game unplayable.. on the quake 3 engine ;). but that's on a very old GPU with driver written by the community.

What he said two years ago (nvidia drivers replace parts of the X server by the way) :

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?18155-John-Carmack-on-Linux-ports
Wolfenstein is pretty unlikely, since it was developed at Raven, and published by Activision. There are no firm plans for linux ports of the idTech 5 titles, but it certainly isn’t off the table. I don’t think it will be very difficult to get them running on the binary nvidia drivers, but bringing them up to functionality and acceptable performance on other OpenGL drivers would probably be a more significant undertaking than we could afford.

The 360 cache partition performance is much worse than you would expect, due to the required filesystem overhead.

Would this overhead result from the thin D3D API MS uses on the 360? If so, I don't understand why they wouldn't do what they could to eliminate bottlenecks like this.

What does Direct3D have to do with the file system? :p

Have no idea which is why I'm asking lol...derr :p

Every time I see something about overhead on the 360, I always think it has something to do with the lack of flexibility in an API. Naive I know. :LOL:

I just think that this game is gonna sell bucket loads on both PS3 and XBx360.

I dunno why... i just think that if you look at all the post-apocalyptic games on the HD twins they've all done well:

Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Borderlands

Rage will continue the trend. It looks awesome to me, and the vids make me harken back to my feelings of playing old PC FPS and TPS games. I enjoy ID games design (never played Doom3 tho).

I like how they're letting people slowly learn about the game and story through the vidocs without revealing too much...keeps the anticipation level up while teasing us. The part where they showed the artists at work was pretty cool.

Another interesting one

@michael_mike1 we do adaptive resolution scaling, so it does shrink down under heavy load, but it holds 720p almost all the time

@dtraingames unfortunately, all 3 dvds need to be installed, so 21 GB. PS3 doesn't allow this much, so only partial is an option there.

If all 3 are installed and only the first 1 needs to be in the machine to eliminate disc swapping that would be nice (but I think we've had this discussion before and unclear if Microsoft allows this). I have I think 57GB left on my 120GB 360 so it could fit.

Anyone has any information about how many XBoxes are there with 20G or no HDD's? I smell a whole lot of returned games if installing on HDD is mandatory as I doubt people think about checking the requirements on a console game

Anyone has any information about how many XBoxes are there with 20G or no HDD's? I smell a whole lot of returned games if installing on HDD is mandatory as I doubt people think about checking the requirements on a console game
And the S-model with 4GB of internal memory has been really popular as well. As far as I remember, the Kinect bundle was selling really well.

Back