Rage (id Software)

I guess some people are looking at the game from the PC perspective, where it may not hold up as well as on consoles. Primarily because on PC the '60fps game' advantage is not there. Personaly i think even the 30fps videos hold up well to other highly regarded console games. Problem for me is it doesnt look that fun gameplay wise. Never have liked the iD run and gun style gameplay much outside of multiplayer.

I guess some people are looking at the game from the PC perspective, where it may not hold up as well as on consoles. Primarily because on PC the '60fps game' advantage is not there. Personaly i think even the 30fps videos hold up well to other highly regarded console games. Problem for me is it doesnt look that fun gameplay wise. Never have liked the iD run and gun style gameplay much outside of multiplayer.

Rage is 60fps on consoles and PC.

Rage is 60fps on consoles and PC.

It can't be "60 fps on PC", because there's no such thing as a "PC".

There's a wide range of PCs on which they might run if they relax the requirement, and I doubt they'll refuse running only because they can't achieve 60 fps. There's more to "PC" than your watercooled, overclocked SLI monster towers.

I doubt they'll maintain 60 fps on low-bandwidth budget parts like the 7200/7300 or GT102 notebook GPUs; on singlecore or slow dualcore machines; on 3-4 year old-but-still respectable cards (8800/9800/GTS250 anyone?) coupled with 2560x1440 monitors.

And there's nothing wrong if they allow it to run at 20 fps; it widens the audience, it's normal on PC.

It can't be "60 fps on PC", because there's no such thing as a "PC".

There's a wide range of PCs on which they might run if they relax the requirement, and I doubt they'll refuse running only because they can't achieve 60 fps. There's more to "PC" than your watercooled, overclocked SLI monster towers.

I doubt they'll maintain 60 fps on low-bandwidth budget parts like the 7200/7300 or GT102 notebook GPUs; on singlecore or slow dualcore machines; on 3-4 year old-but-still respectable cards (8800/9800/GTS250 anyone?) coupled with 2560x1440 monitors.

And there's nothing wrong if they allow it to run at 20 fps; it widens the audience, it's normal on PC.

yeah, you're right about the PC, but I think it might be frame limited to 60fps light Doom3 was. Or am I wrong about Doom3?

Pretty sure Doom3 was capped at 30 or 60 (some reason I think it's 30, but might have been 60), but you could uncap it through ini file or console.

Regards,
SB

Doom 3 was surely not capped at 30 (by default) I remember playing the game at 60FPS without doing an ini modifications.

hehe Well, I mean, granted, there are indoor sections, but thus far I get the impression that most of the game takes place outside in broad daylight and the number of small lights is not what they're trying to do with Megatexture. :)
I "think" the desert area is mainly fr driving sections while most of the shooting gameplay would take place in indoor areas.

Silent Buddha,
If you play Rage with us on Live, you'll have one of those boomerang thingies stuck in your head! :LOL:

Silent Buddha,
If you play Rage with us on Live, you'll have one of those boomerang thingies stuck in your head! :LOL:

Bah you'll have to peel yourself off my car grill first. :p

Heh, and with there being a 75% chance I'll get Live Gold just for Reach, I may just have a chance to try running you over. :D

Although now I'm faced with a conundrum. Get the PC version for better graphics and a mouse and keyboard. Or the console version to try running NRP over? Hmmmmm...

Regards,
SB

Sounds great. Can't wait. Mouse/keyboard isn't an issue on 360. Josh uses one, so he can set you up. Don't think it'll help you drive though.

Definitely join us for Reach though.

So what GPU do you think we need to get a decent FPS on at-least mid to high settings im thinking of upgrading again since its almost an annual thing nowadays

So what GPU do you think we need to get a decent FPS on at-least mid to high settings im thinking of upgrading again since its almost an annual thing nowadays

Some medium end GPU from 2005/2006. But just go for something of the GTS250 class at around 80$ and it is equivalent to (9800GTX+). No doubt it will do it max with 1080p unless game is badly optimised which I highly doubt when it comes to Carmack stuff. Feel free to move my post.

New info coming in playstation magazine.
The blog post has 4 different enemies in it.
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/07/23/first-rage-hands-on-preview-gets-quad-cover/

The magazine had a nice multipage exclusive cover story (still wish Demon's Souls would have gotten such coverage) and a fairly ok one page review with John Carmack as a way to re-introduce him and Id and his games to a current generation of console players.

One thing I noticed is that they used the words "Rage being built from scratch on PS3" from what I understand I am still not sure if JC/IdSoft is using LibCGM and CellBE SPU management or what the details are, probably that they are using something close, I gotta finish reading the magazine, and evaluating if I should subscribe to it (their editorial does not seem to cover games properly imo)

The magazine had a nice multipage exclusive cover story (still wish Demon's Souls would have gotten such coverage) and a fairly ok one page review with John Carmack as a way to re-introduce him and Id and his games to a current generation of console players.

One thing I noticed is that they used the words "Rage being built from scratch on PS3" from what I understand I am still not sure if JC/IdSoft is using LibCGM and CellBE SPU management or what the details are, probably that they are using something close, I gotta finish reading the magazine, and evaluating if I should subscribe to it (their editorial does not seem to cover games properly imo)

Yeah, bought the magazine today at the airport in San Francisco...is kind of nice article but not so much new stuff:
-best PS3 FPS graphics to date
-world detail is insane and never seen before
-mentioned the buttery smooth framerate
-nothing mind blowing new or innovative with respect to game design (which is not needed as stated by the journo)
-great driving section (the only comparison which may fit he could bring up is in fact Motorstorm...which is kind of surprise for me, and fortunately good news).
-shooting controlls great (in fact they are quite similar to COD controller setup on purpose, id even stated...when a games sells 20 Mio. the controlls must be right)
-FPS section in general very good
-Carmack in interview to PS folks: don't judge us on our past achievement (because they are basically all PC and mostly unknown to PS only people...but he is quite confident that PS3 gamers should) judge id as a dev when playing RAGE on PS3!

this is the stuff I can remember....

We have this saying in dutch"Beter goed gejat, dan slecht bedacht".
It means something like Its better to steal ideas then to think up a bad idea.

So yeah i welcome cod style controls and other stolen gameplay mechanics.

30hsd2a.jpg

2hxty4o.jpg

9/13/11. I don't think id's ever committed to a date this early.

Back