Rage (id Software)

I was a true believer of Carmack when Doom 3 was released, every frame of that game sends chills and awe into my vein in the wake of its unified lighting and shadows. Nowadays not so much though especially with Rage, I just hate it when they are forced to bake everything, mediocre particle and low poly characters just to maintain the 60fps. JC would be redeemed when Doom4 comes, I'm sure of it.

The new Kane & Lynch game is a drop dead gorgeous game to look at and its technically impressive as well, its 60FPS & uses stuff like advanced lens effects & SSAO (a first for a 60FPS game). Its actually pretty amazing to see what they've accomplished...too bad that its actually a bit too smooth. Its one of those games which would rather benefit from the extra oomph of 30FPS than the extra smoothness of 60FPS. They did cut some corners by having pasted textures for reflections & its good looking but can get a bit stupid when you see the reflection of a building only to notice that there's a ceiling on top.

Also its the first subHD game I've ever experienced that didn't actually looked subHD to me. Imo this is gonna be the new technical juggernauts among 60FPS console games.

Any time I watch Rage I see a game that looks gorgeous, but it seems to be failing the "checklist test" with many gamers online. I'll be interested to see how the average gamer responds. So far the game press guys are loving it.

I was a true believer of Carmack when Doom 3 was released, every frame of that game sends chills and awe into my vein in the wake of its unified lighting and shadows. Nowadays not so much though especially with Rage, I just hate it when they are forced to bake everything, mediocre particle and low poly characters just to maintain the 60fps. JC would be redeemed when Doom4 comes, I'm sure of it.

For me, they are fair trade-offs to get 60 FPS on the 360/PS3...Apart from some horror games, I don't know any games from the top of my head where I really care/notice if the lighting is pre-baked or not(were all lights in KZ2 real-time??)...
And it honestly feels as if many games this generation are struggling keeping even 30 FPS

Even though I don't know tech, I know that 30 FPS allows for much more horsepower to be spent on graphics than 60 FPS can...That's partly why I am looking forward to DOOM 4, because if RAGE looks this good now, DOOM 4 must look fricking EPIC

After seeing those vids i must ask... What is the fuss all about??

Fantastic, really never seen before environments. And a fairly standard shooter + below average driving set in them.

I'm buying it to wander through the levels, mouth agape. If something jumps at me, I'll shoot it.

The texture artwork is fantastic, especially in the outdoor environment. I'm looking forward to the destroyed city that was shown in previews but wasn't allowed to be photographed. Everyone that saw it said it was amazing. Hopefully the world is reasonably big. I'm not expecting Fallout or anything, but Borderlands size or a little bigger would be nice.

Are you talking about the console or PC versions?

Pick one. The console version came out first (and obviously didn't have the kind of high resolution you were used to on a PC), with its souped-up PC port arriving slightly later than the PC version of Doom 3. Then, much later, Doom 3 came out on the Xbox as well.

Point is: by the time Doom 3 arrived, the normal mapped stencil shadowed tech-wizardry wasn't big news anymore, not to mention it was achieved on a much weaker hardware and backed by impressive game design that still holds up very well.

Pick one. The console version came out first (and obviously didn't have the kind of high resolution you were used to on a PC), with its souped-up PC port arriving slightly later than the PC version of Doom 3. Then, much later, Doom 3 came out on the Xbox as well.

Point is: by the time Doom 3 arrived, the normal mapped stencil shadowed tech-wizardry wasn't big news anymore, not to mention it was achieved on a much weaker hardware and backed by impressive game design that still holds up very well.

I disagree, Riddick was atleast on the Xbox much worse looking than either other version. The worst part was in the parts like the underground facility cave where framebuffer res was greatly reduced. That was the point the I quit the game swearing over the super low-resolution, pixelation, tremednous jaggies and a framerate averaging around 15-20fps.

DOOMIII on the Xbox was a much better experience and looked quite good inc omparision to PC version.

Yeah, the "check box test" mentality makes me laugh. Somehow it's not enough to just look good anymore.

If you're standing around looking at textures up close, trying to find compression artifacts, or just generally gawking, I'm gonna run your ass over. :LOL:

Back