Journey, new game from thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower)

Yeah, it must be depressing for people who are over 35. I don't really see why they need to specify the upper bound unless many gamers fall into that category.

[chuckle] It reminds me of some celebs who are 35 every year.

You know you're old, when you're too old for Journey
next.jpg

looking forward to this game, hurry up and get it out, March 2012 I will be to old. :-/

This one has more info… behind the scene interview:

[gt]708508[/gt]

(I have not watched it yet, but GAF seems to like it ^_^)

Co-op impressions:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventu...d=6297312&part=rss&subj=6297312&mode=previews

While you find yourself lost in a vast desert at the beginning of the game, if you're online, you'll soon find other passersby with whom you can interact. You'll be able to partner with one of them simply by approaching, at which point you'll be able to share resources and solve puzzles together. If either of the pair decides he or she wants to go it alone, that player can simply move away from the other player at any time. What you won't be able to do is communicate verbally. Chen claims that it was given a trial, but it detrimentally affected the game. That means that you could end up playing the game with an 80-year-old woman or a 16-year-old boy and never know it, but thatgamecompany claims that mystery actually aids the overall experience.

Each player's avatar features different symbols on his or her chest, so that you can differentiate between people as you meet them. The game's resource takes the form of ribbons, which are collected around the world and then displayed on your character's scarf. When you use powers, such as the ability to fly, these ribbons are used up and drift away into the air. If you're playing cooperatively, they can be collected by the other player, effectively allowing you to share resources between each other. You'll also need to work together to solve cooperative puzzles. We saw an instance where both players had to stand on platforms simultaneously to continue.

Journey is a beautiful-looking game, particularly thanks to the sand effects. At one point, the wind caused the ground to ripple like a vast lake. Thankfully, we're also promised environments such as mountains as you progress. Chen also promises some conflict in the game, although he wouldn't draw on the enemies you might come across.

YES ! One of my 3 most anticipated items for this E3.... :)

Jevona Chen, would you please make this into an AR game ? Like transforming my office and Bay Area buildings into desert with "sand waterfall" and flower bed ? And allow us to piece all together in a global virtual world ? :devilish:

Joystiq preview of the game

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/03/journey-preview-a-million-little-fibers/#continued

The game opens with the fading of a white-hot sun, the dimming light revealing vast sand dunes. A beacon of light, emitting from a far-off mountain barely visible in the distance instilled in me a sense of urgency. Silently I stood for a while, ignoring my instincts in an attempt to soak it all in. There we were, the sand and I, alone. It was an almost comforting bleakness.

As I took my first steps forward, pushing the sand out in front of me like a sheet with a pocket of air trapped under it, I made it my goal to reach the light. Walking up and down dunes small and large, I eventually stumbled upon what I could only describe as a shrine. Suddenly, my character was surrounded with an aura that highlighted the folds of my clothes and gave me a the tiniest bit of a scarf

My brief play session was one full of emotion -- I marveled at the environments and beauty of it all; I questioned myself, my motives and what it was all for; and, most importantly, I persevered. It was empowering in a way no racing game or shooting game could ever replicate.

I imagined the feelings I had playing Journey are the same Jacques Cousteau might have felt as he explored the seas. There's a certain magic in discovery and figuring things out for ourselves, putting the puzzle together without a hand to hold us. I may have questioned the point of my own journey while I was there, but I can't wait to pick it back up again

Edit : little awesome gif
http://i53.tinypic.com/9ljwpw.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not gonna read more, will wait until game is released to know more. Flower was incredible, I belive this will be as well.

The concept behind the game is just really interesting. Don't know if it'll be fun as much as it'll be an experience but I'm looking forward to that the most.

They've nailed it twice now, I think I'll be okay in saying even now that I'll be picking this up when it's released. Even if I don't know any more about it than I do now.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/27/journey’s-first-steps-post-e3/

To test Journey’s innovative and unusual multiplayer functionality, we are conducting a small, invite-only beta that will run tomorrow, June 28 and will run through July 12. If you were one of the very earliest adopters of Flower, and you are a PS Plus subscriber as well, watch your XMB inbox for your invitation and entry into the beta. Additionally, we’ve been able to free up a limited number of additional spots for the beta. Please check thatgamecompany’s Facebook page, here on the PlayStation Blog, or our media partners and their sites for code give-aways.

I fit the bill, but I definitely don't want to participate in the beta to avoid spoiling the game for myself. :p

I just hope it'll be more than just pointlessly faffing about in pretty environments. Flower was a very laid back and relaxing experience, with plenty of opportunities to enjoy oneself just for heck of it. However at the end it still had basic video game goals. In order to keep things fresh, every level put some fresh and essentially rather traditional obstacles between you and said goals. There was a clear sense of progression to motivate you ever further. If Journey really is just about wandering from start to finish, with a little singing and dune surfing in between, that bold experiment may very well end up a rather boring one that gets old very fast. I think Noby Noby boy is a good example of how novelty alone isn't enough to carry a game. If a game that lets you eat a woman and a cow and then poop out a woman with a cow-head gets boring after a couple of hours, how long is a game where you trek across some dunes gonna last?

Anyway, I'm still excited and I will most likely still buy it day one. I'm just not sold a 100% on it yet.

However at the end it still had basic video game goals. In order to keep things fresh, every level put some fresh and essentially rather traditional obstacles between you and said goals. There was a clear sense of progression to motivate you ever further. If Journey really is just about wandering from start to finish, with a little singing and dune surfing in between, that bold experiment may very well end up a rather boring one that gets old very fast.

The game has some collection element (collecting fragments of cloth), which gives you different abilities to solve puzzles together. I think the articles mentioned the players have to find the end goal or goals.

I agree with what you said about Noby Noby Boy though.

EDIT:
http://www.el33tonline.com/past_article/2011/2/7/journey_preview/

Your little humanoid will soon be bestowed with a scarf. Basically this is an energy meter and you’ll need to collect resources to be able to fly. As these resources are spent they will be released and return to the land. As you progress in the game you’ll discover pieces of hanging cloth that you can harmonise with because you’re also made of cloth. You’ll also happen upon non-playable characters who will give you clues about what might have happened in this place. They will be visual clues, not based on dialogue, memories from the past that will help to create your own storyline of what may have happened.

Players will be able to find another player by singing. You’ll be able to touch to harmonise and even use the resources that the other player has used and discarded to draw strength and fly. You can, however, also choose to play as a single player in the multiplayer. Or you could leave the second player in search of another player who may better suit your play style in a scenario that Chen describes as being reminiscent of speed dating. The gameplay is very co-operative with conventional elements of players being able to discover hidden secrets. These may be paintings that give hints about the story or white pieces of cloth that players can collect to extend the maximum length of their scarf so they can fly further.

I remember one of the trailers showed a flying craft for the player to interact with.

Thanks for shedding some light onto the situation. I just watched the Gametrailers interview and when it was over I was pretty much none the wiser for it, hence my concern that there may be not a whole lot to the game afterall.

At this point, I hope someone makes a Patapon + Journey game. Engaging hordes of Patapons in an unknown world, disrupting their beats, sizzling their army under the hot desert Sun while they summon their Rain juju should be devilishly fun (for me at least. :cool:).

Back