Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Armor for Space Marines was closer to medieval plate mail in that it basically just protects the user, granting no superhuman abilities above and beyond those already possessed. Thus Platemail would be a more apt description of the origin of Space Marine armor. :) Now Terminator armor on the other hand. That could potentially trace it's roots back to Starship Troopers armor. :) But again only superficially, as it still mostly was about even more protection for the wearer, but in so doing became so heavy that even genetically altered Space Marines required some help in making it move. Being so heavy however, also meant they were slow and cumbersome (compared to standard armor), and if it's going to be slow and cumbersome why not mount extra heavy weapons? :)

I believe that the bolded are not entirely accurate to a degree. Mk II (i.e. armour worn during the Horus Heresy) and upwards Space Marine Power Armour does indeed augment the Adeptus Astartes already super-human abilities to even more superhuman levels, not by much but they definitely do. It's the very reason that despite the bulk and weight of the Power Armour itself, an Astartes can move and react as quickly, if not quicker, than if he is completely without his armour. The Power Armour isn't just plate armour but is an effective mechanised battlesuit, similar in kind to the mechanised exsoskeletons being made today, only full body with vox commuicator, air filtration and re-circulation systems, temperature regulators and battle/field drug administration systems integrated.

Also, Terminator Armour also isn't anything remotley close to being "slow and cumbersome". An Adeptus Astartes could outrun a car at 40mph wearing terminator armour. The suits augment an astartes abilities even further. They are "slower" than standard power armour, but they certainly aren't "slow" in absolute terms... if they were then a Terminator Assault squad would be useless... without or without their personal teleportation devices ;-)

I believe that the bolded are not entirely accurate to a degree. Mk II (i.e. armour worn during the Horus Heresy)

Actually, Mk IV was the most common at the time. Mk V's were just starting to be mass produced when the Adeptus Mechanicus had their split on Mars (Mechanicum novel). Though of course, that didn't stop various legions/chapters from using older Mark armours out of preference for the look. :)

Actually, Mk IV was the most common at the time. Mk V's were just starting to be mass produced when the Adeptus Mechanicus had their split on Mars (Mechanicum novel). Though of course, that didn't stop various legions/chapters from using older Mark armours out of preference for the look. :)

Indeed you are correct... that was my typo ;-)

Edit: Also, the Mechanicum novel.... Sooooo AWESOME!!!!

Also, Terminator Armour also isn't anything remotley close to being "slow and cumbersome". An Adeptus Astartes could outrun a car at 40mph wearing terminator armour. The suits augment an astartes abilities even further. They are "slower" than standard power armour, but they certainly aren't "slow" in absolute terms... if they were then a Terminator Assault squad would be useless... without or without their personal teleportation devices ;-)

You'll note I did have..."(compared to standard armor)". :) Everything is relative.

As well I don't disagree with your armor comments, but when compared to the augmentation afforded to normal humans by Starship Troopers mobile suits, it's far closer to platmail than to those, IMO.

It's also to be noted that later versions of standard space marine armor weren't as effective as armor made prior to the Horus Heresy. Much knowledge and technology was lost, including those used in the making of space marine armor. While some of that has been re-discovered, pre-heresy armor is still superior I think. Then again I haven't really been as up on W40k the past couple years, so things may have progressed even farther since then.

But regardless of all this. The game can't launch soon enough for me. :)

Regards,
SB

Edit: Also, the Mechanicum novel.... Sooooo AWESOME!!!!

hehe. I've just finished A Thousand Sons. Bloody great novel. It's so sad reading how they fell from grace, and the same goes for Fulgrim (both Primarch and the novel). The Dark Angels schism isn't done yet, but again, pretty sad. :(

I'll probably pick up the next few Horus Heresy novels when I'm done with the Word Bearers trilogy of novels (Dark Apostle/Disciple/Creed). Figured I should take a break for the HH. Besides, a little current events on Word Bearers might make The First Heretic mean that much more.

So I'm really looking forward to The First Heretic, Prospero Burns, and Age of Darkness (2nd collection of short stories).

I might pick up a couple of the audio book exclusives, like Garro. His story was pretty interesting in the Flight of the Eisenstein.

It's also to be noted that later versions of standard space marine armor weren't as effective as armor made prior to the Horus Heresy. Much knowledge and technology was lost, including those used in the making of space marine armor. While some of that has been re-discovered, pre-heresy armor is still superior I think. Then again I haven't really been as up on W40k the past couple years, so things may have progressed even farther since then.

Well it's odd. I've read the Lexicanum on up-to-date iterations of the armours, but they haven't really mentioned anything beyond Mark V in the novels. There was a passing mention of a Word Bearer using pieces of a Mark VII in Dark Apostle, but nothing detailed about being special. So all I know is that they've tried to make the armour less prone to being penetrated at weak joint spots using larger plates for cover or adding a neck shield of sorts.

Bah, looks like a TPS. Was hoping it'd be a top down RPG/action game. Sort of like Diablo or the console version of Baldur's Gate.

Still, I'll be pre-ordering it. :D

Can't call myself a fan if I don't buy and play every single Warhammer (Fantasy and W40K) game. :p

Regards,
SB

While I would agree that the space marine look in particular, and the art of WH40k in general, have been influential in video games, I'd say it's a pretty wild leap to suggest that the writing has been anywhere near as influential as the work of Heinlein (or even Hubbard or countless others) before it. The writing and thematic concepts of WH40k are slapdash and slapstick, and very unique. It would be shockingly obvious were it to be copied. I used to enjoy the art and concepts but man that game design was awful, perhaps the worst ever, for a popular game...

Slightly more on topic, tho... you know what I'm dying for? A sequel to Space Hulk. That was a great video game.

Demo is out. Tried it yesterday. It seemed ok, but I don't know. As far as I could tell, there was no cover mechanic. You're kind of slow moving, and there isn't a lot of cover, so there's not much you can do to defend yourself. You have to stun guys and execute them to regain health. The guns really aren't powerful enough to keep the swarms of enemies off you, so you will find yourself using the melee attacks a lot. It wasn't bad, but with the huge swath of games coming out, I just can't see myself buying it over some of the other action and shooter games. They give you a pretty good chunk of the game to play. Seemed like it might get too repetitive.

Very very fun and satisfying gameplay once you get the hang of it, but hands down the worst graphics on the ps3! Muddy, jaggied and no textures to speak of.
But the gameplay is really fun. Will chk out the PC demo. If the graphics are bearable there, then this seems to be a sure buy(if and when I have monies that is :oops:) !

Bought the game today and have to say that after playing the campaign for a couple of hours, this game is surprising, in a good way :)
The gameplay is fun and challenging (medium difficulty), and the framerate look rock solid. The graphic is not going to win any best looking game of the year award, but it's more then good enough. Think the look of the game fits perfectly with the Warhammer 40k universe (atleaste how I imagine it would look)
The voice acting I think is very good, one of the strong points IMO

Anyone else picked this up? And what's your impressions?

I had a ton of fun with the demo. I'm just afraid that what I'm doing in the demo is gonna be everything I'm every going to do over the course of the whole campaign. I like mindless fun, but unless it's in combination with some light rpg hooks I'm afraid it's going to get old really fast for me.

I enjoyed the demo. Keyboard and mouse felt kind of awkward to me though. I didn't get the impression that the PC version was a significant jump over the 360 version, but maybe that's just because it was a demo. *shrug* I thought they were fine any how. Clearly the focus is on the space marine details..

Can't say I'll pick it up for full price though. The lack of campaign co-op is just baffling, not only considering it's W40K, but also because of the history of Relic & the W40K RTS games...

Finished the the campaign over the weekend, have to say this is one of the most enjoyable games i have played this year. The share awesomeness of storming in to a horde of green skins in fury mode with a Thunder Hammer and seeing ork parts fly all over the screen was just incredibly satisfying :)
Going to try and complete the game on hard now.

So if you like a sci-fi themed action-RPG you should give this game a chance :) (and I hope it sells well enough to get a sequel)

This game and Too Human are my 2 favorite action-RPG games this gen. And yes I'm aware that Too Human is generally considered to be one of the bigger flops on the 360, but it will always have a special place in my gaming heart. I think its because of the setting, mixing sic-fi with norse mythology is just pure genius in my book :)

PS: One can loose many hours reading through the various WarHammer 40k wikis :( ;-)

Back