Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater 3D Or first 3DS graphical hint.

Zed

I don't really see much in the way of higher polygon counts, especially in your second shot, look at the guys knees and feet in the PS2 pic. There are absolutely no shadows so I don't know what you're seeing their.

PS2 does render at a higher resolution then 3DS of course, though the second pic you've posted is not true PS2 resolution, its far higher then the real resolution of the game.

Look at the texture detail, normal mapping and lighting in the 3DS version. The PS2 version looks plain by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it looks about the same apart from the obvious addition of normal mapping and better quality textures :)

By the way Zed, this is what you think the game looks the same or worse than?:

mgs-peace-walker-tgs.jpg

metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-20090716113124948_640w.jpg

I think there's a bit more detail to the textures in the 3DS version, though even without that the bump mapping makes a big difference. They also have a better colour pallete, Snake Eater on PS2 looks to have mostly 8bit textures, the 3DS version looks more colourful, probably due to proper texture compression.

One thing that was really cool about Snake Eater on the PS2 was the shadows that the tree tops cast onto the surface and the characters below. Never seen something like that on the PS2 before (and sadly never again afterwards)
Other standout moments were the fight against the weird cosmonaut (fantastic fire effects - the PS2 probably made good use of its ample bandwidth here), Volgin (particle overkill when he gets struck by lightning and all the bullets go off) and of course The Boss. The game also sported some very good looking water and fantastic atmospheric effects (fight against The Sorrow)

I sure as hell know that that PS2/PSP can't do normal mapping (tree bark, shoulder gear). PS2 can do some lighting effects, but nothing to the extent that something with dedicated hardware could in terms of dynamic lighting (the subtle highlights on Snake's face to our left).

Also, Snake Eater for PS2 relies a lot on filters and abusing hues to hide/blend the low resolution textures and make it appear as something out of focus via depth of field. Peace Walker doesn't use it as much, but then again it does suffer from many instances of dithering.

I think Kojima Production's artists are just that talented to make do even with some limited hardware. It reminds me of Team Silent's effort in many ways.

One thing that was really cool about Snake Eater on the PS2 was the shadows that the tree tops cast onto the surface and the characters below. Never seen something like that on the PS2 before (and sadly never again afterwards)
I was particularly impressed by that as well, but later I realized that the shadows weren't actually shadows but just a sort of moving textures on Snake's character model (since I saw repetitions in patterns & also didn't noticed any real shadows on ground) which would appear & disappear depending on the area you are in.

but nothing to the extent that something with dedicated hardware could in terms of dynamic lighting (the subtle highlights on Snake's face to our left).
I assume by subtle u mean the blueish light on the left. hmmm the ps2 can do point/spotlights? :) hell even the ps1 can do them ( I assume ), thus what are u talking about.
Im still not seeing the 3ds version being hugely superior to the ps2(*) Im seeing some things better with the ps2, which ive listed already. some better with the 3ds (mainly lighting(**), but + thats a huge ...but... cause, MGS has always had this issue with a limited palette) case in point -> bugger the ps2 heres the ps3 with mgs4,
mgs4_snake.jpg
ust like the ps2 version of mgs theres the limited color range + also normalized colors. now with the ps3 theres no technical reason to do this, so whys it happening? its an artistic choice. now in 2010 the makers have decided to expand the color range

(*)
Developers with Nintendo 3DS hands-on experience claim it has the processing power close to what's seen with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
:LOL:

(**)but even this is open to discussion, check out the lack of shadows in the 3ds shot, look at the flat lighting etc. it just seems all thats happened is theyve turned up the contrast.

Yould think if the 3ds had close to the power of the ps360 they'ld let it do better than 0xAA at that tiny resolution since judging by the above shots its sorely needed

Im still not seeing the 3ds version being hugely superior to the ps2(*) Im seeing some things better with the ps2, which ive listed already.
As someone said earlier, the screen you posted isn't standard PS2 resolution, so your point really isn't valid with regards to resolution.

I assume by subtle u mean the blueish light on the left. hmmm the ps2 can do point/spotlights? :) hell even the ps1 can do them ( I assume ), thus what are u talking about.
Im still not seeing the 3ds version being hugely superior to the ps2(*) Im seeing some things better with the ps2, which ive listed already. some better with the 3ds (mainly lighting(**), but + thats a huge ...but... cause, MGS has always had this issue with a limited palette) case in point -> bugger the ps2 heres the ps3 with mgs4,
mgs4_snake.jpg
ust like the ps2 version of mgs theres the limited color range + also normalized colors. now with the ps3 theres no technical reason to do this, so whys it happening? its an artistic choice. now in 2010 the makers have decided to expand the color range

(*) :LOL:

(**)but even this is open to discussion, check out the lack of shadows in the 3ds shot, look at the flat lighting etc. it just seems all thats happened is theyve turned up the contrast.

Yould think if the 3ds had close to the power of the ps360 they'ld let it do better than 0xAA at that tiny resolution since judging by the above shots its sorely needed

So you agree that the 3DS version looks superior to the PS2 version of MGS?

Nobody said the 3DS was as powerful as the 360 by the way, that would be impossible for a handheld.

Kojima discussing the 3DS demo with 1UP:-

1UP - How did the MGS3-inspired "NAKED Sample" 3DS demo at E3 come to fruition?

Kojima - "It was a top-secret project -- I had a non-disclosure agreement signed with Nintendo, so I couldn't even tell you [Hamamura] about it. The demo was produced by the Peace Walker team, but outside of the group that developed it, nobody at Kojima Productions even knew about it. I got that group together and said 'Okay, we have to build this thing for E3' -- they work on a different floor from the rest of the studio, so most people thought they were on vacation after shipping off Peace Walker, I suppose."

"The thing is that it's hard to get a lot of feedback from players, because only so many of them could physically play the title at the event. I was hoping to shape our future direction for the game based on more of their opinions. Also, the maps and character models were all remade with a higher polygon count than before. The models are about the same quality as what we made for the PlayStation 3, but you really can't tell within the game. We could've made it look better if we had a little more time."

1UP - Now that E3 is over, where is the 3DS MGS project headed?

Kojima - "I did handle direction work on the E3 demo, but where I go from here hasn't been decided yet. For now, what we wanted to do was advertise the fact that we are producing a 3DS game in the MGS franchise. Largely it was just a demonstration of what we're capable of with the 3DS. For a full-size game, just having things pop out at the player all the time will get old fast, so I think the emphasis will be on visual depth instead. We haven't settled on the details yet, but I'd like to get CO-OPS and some of the other things we did in Peace Walker into this game as well. We can't change MGS3's story, but we are thinking about CO-OPS and other things we can use the 3D technology for."

1UP - So when'll it come out?

Kojima - "Nothing's been decided at all yet. I don't think we'll be able to make it a launch title, but if we don't at least stick close to launch, we'll lose a lot of product value."

1UP - So within a year or so of launch, then?

Kojima - "Yeah, I think we need to get it out by then. That's why I want to get more people to try it out. Showing a trailer really just isn't enough -- it'd be nice if Nintendo organizes some kind of public demo event."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3180278

I don't think we can judge the graphics of the 3ds with 2d images. since ive been watching videos of the 3ds the common statement is you have to be holding it to see the graphics its not the same on camera

The resolution is somewhat jarring to the eyes, but you can really see the graphical improvements.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nc-10-metal-gear/705396 <= Better quality
[YT] <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddIR9xlXDew?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddIR9xlXDew?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object> [/YT]
The geometry and texture resolution increase from the original PS2 title looks fantastic. The addition of what looks to be bump mapping looks awesome too.

That's a developer issue, not hardware.

Also I really don't see how this is much of a comparison, the 3DS version looks far and away more detailed. Especially with textures and character models.

I'm just happy to see a GPU in a Nintendo system that readily supports graphics techniques like normal mapping, self-shadowing and HDR. It's about fucking time. LOL The Conduit 3 should just be on the 3DS. I would like to see some more shadowing in that MGS3 demo, but the use of shadow blobs under the characters gives it a better "approximation" especially as it more or less matches the environment since there is no direct sunlight (it looks cloudy).

Back