Kinect Games

Here's a great video that was posted on the Kinect for Xbox 360 Facebook page where Rare's web producer asks developers at Rare questions about Kinect Sports and Kinect. Evidently the questions are sent in by Facebook users. The last question asks Nick Burton about using Kinect for FPS games. There's also mention in the video about the KinectShare.com site where you'll be sharing photos & videos from some of the Kinect games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/rare-avatar-gives-kinect-sports-advice?size=hd

Tommy McClain

I have no idea, and probably couldn't say even if I did.

I'll be interested to see projector setups too. I'm guessing placing the sensor close to the ground would be the best bet there, but it all depends on the playspace dimensions. This kind of system does not seem ideally suited to a projector based setup to start with unless your projector is ceiling mounted high enough to not be occluded by people jumping around.

I'm going ceiling mounted but my ceiling is only 9 feet high and the screen will be between 100-120 inches. As far as occlusion, hmmmm, Kinect may actually be a non-starter for me even though judging by Neo-GAF comments I have one of those mythical living rooms 19x16 that should be perfect for it.

I'm going ceiling mounted but my ceiling is only 9 feet high and the screen will be between 100-120 inches. As far as occlusion, hmmmm, Kinect may actually be a non-starter for me even though judging by Neo-GAF comments I have one of those mythical living rooms 19x16 that should be perfect for it.

If its a help I've used kincect in a room that is 10 feet wide. So we were within 7 feet or so of the kinect while playing.

And several other previews came away quite impressed. Most saying the preferred way to play is via Kinect.

It seems like could be something special.

I didn't realize the game wasnt launch though (Spring 2011), sucks.

Did you even watch the vid? Verbatim: "It's mind bending and immersive, and one of the most unique experiences I've felt in gaming in a long time. Everyone who has played Child of Eden at IGN came away impressed, gushing about how great the experience was" And "This is easily one of our most anticipated games of early 2011, and an early justification that this whole Kinect controller free gaming console isn't just for non-gamers".

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to read genuinely positive impressions. So far it's between bearable and unplayable.

And several other previews came away quite impressed. Most saying the preferred way to play is via Kinect.

It seems like could be something special.

I didn't realize the game wasnt launch though (Spring 2011), sucks.

I haven't seen anyone say the preferred way to play is kinect. The consensus I've seen is that playing with Kinect is different (some saying considerably more difficult). Matt Leone of 1up even went as far to say that it's a "game you should play on easy" if you're using Kinect. That doesn't sound too flattering, and judging from the vids I've seen, it's not something that's really accurate enough to get the most out of the title.

Edit: I also think it's important to note that no one, at least to the best of my knowledge, has played Child of Eden with a controller yet. Or any other input devices, for that matter (i.e. Move). I think I'll wait to see all 3 options working before I jump on the excitement train.

Like blim blim?
I walked away from the demo wanting to play it more, (I played it 9 times during the press event) as it was like no other game I've ever played before. In fact, it's not a game in my eyes, it's an experience, an experience I've never had the pleasure of experiencing up until now. Kinect gave me a new experience of controller free gaming, something I didn't think was possible given today's technology. Even at this early stage of development, I feel that Mizuguchi has delivered on Microsoft's promise of controller free gaming. I felt like a conductor conducting and electronic light show. After the press event had finished, all I could think about for the next few days was Child of Eden. Tetsuya Mizuguchi has sold me on the technology I didn't think I wanted. Suffice to say, Child of Eden blew me away with its stunning visuals and perfectly paced music. Child of Eden was definitely my game of TGS.

And also from IGN vid:

"Without a controller between you and the sites and sounds assaulting your senses, you're free to lose yourself in Eden"

I'm sure I recall somebody in the many previews said Kinect was the best way to play, I just need to find it.

Here it is more or less I think, from Joystiq

And yet, I preferred playing another level, "Matrix," on Kinect. With an open palm guiding the auto-locking reticle and a quick swipe initiating an attack, you're shrugging off any feeling of rote input. I won't always be in the mood to play like this, I know it, but in a game that hopes to overwhelm and engage the senses, I'm more receptive without a chunk of plastic in my hands. As Mizuguchi puts it, you feel like the "conductor" in an abstract orchestra.

Oh and Kotaku

There was noticeable lag while playing Child of Eden with Kinect, most likely a product of the hardware, not the software. I lost sight of my targets more than once and likely would have failed an attempt or two if "game over" conditions were built into the TGS demo. But playing the game with Kinect was my preferred method, if only for the sensation that it brought me closer to the game, making me feel like an interactive part of the experience.

I'm intrigued anyway, I guess I didn't expect positive impressions. And I think any positive Kinect impressions basically count double because the hardcore games media seems to really dislike Kinect to start with.

The IGN vid showed they didn't have that large of TV's at the event either. I would think Journos could be wowed by you know, playing on some giant screen in a dark theater that real people wont be able to experience. But the IGN vid shows them playing on medium size displays in a bright, noisy room, and they still seemed impressed.

But again, this not being available to Spring 11 is a downer. So basically there's nothing exciting coming at launch for Kinect for me. Although I am interested in many of the side benefits, voice control, being able to talk on Live with no mic, etc.

I meant positive impressions about the technology. Even the otherwise very positive IGN video mentions concerns about controller lag. I have no doubt it can still be an enjoyable and immersive (and new) experience for the first few hours, until you become annoyed by the inaccuracy and pick up a controller.

I haven't seen anyone say the preferred way to play is kinect. The consensus I've seen is that playing with Kinect is different (some saying considerably more difficult).

See, you read a sentence like that and think, "hmmm, the guy has obviously looked into this. He uses words like "consensus", implying some level of investigation, though it's obvious that investigation didn't go quite as far as viewing the video linked a couple of posts above his own. It's not until the edit that it all becomes clear:

Edit: I also think it's important to note that no one, at least to the best of my knowledge, has played Child of Eden with a controller yet.

Pretty much every site also has impressions of the game being played with a normal controller. And that includes 2 sites mentioned 3 posts above his own. Strangely, even Matt Leone of 1up mentioned having played the game with a controller and gave his impressions on it.... in the very same piece where he used words "easy" and "kinect".

And then it becomes apparent that the poster has done little to no reading on Child of Eden and Kinect, and is basically recycling a quote that he's read on another forum, from a peer who is speaking with equal authority of the uninformed.

Look if you don't like Kinect or you don't want to play Child of Eden with Kinect, you really don't have to. Its as simple as that.

Like blim blim?

And also from IGN vid:

"Without a controller between you and the sites and sounds assaulting your senses, you're free to lose yourself in Eden"

I'm sure I recall somebody in the many previews said Kinect was the best way to play, I just need to find it.

Here it is more or less I think, from Joystiq

Oh and Kotaku

I'm intrigued anyway, I guess I didn't expect positive impressions. And I think any positive Kinect impressions basically count double because the hardcore games media seems to really dislike Kinect to start with.

The IGN vid showed they didn't have that large of TV's at the event either. I would think Journos could be wowed by you know, playing on some giant screen in a dark theater that real people wont be able to experience. But the IGN vid shows them playing on medium size displays in a bright, noisy room, and they still seemed impressed.

But again, this not being available to Spring 11 is a downer. So basically there's nothing exciting coming at launch for Kinect for me. Although I am interested in many of the side benefits, voice control, being able to talk on Live with no mic, etc.

Could you post the link to blim's preview.Edith found it.

And yet, I preferred playing another level, "Matrix," on Kinect. With an open palm guiding the auto-locking reticle and a quick swipe initiating an attack, you're shrugging off any feeling of rote input. I won't always be in the mood to play like this, I know it, but in a game that hopes to overwhelm and engage the senses, I'm more receptive without a chunk of plastic in my hands. As Mizuguchi puts it, you feel like the "conductor" in an abstract orchestra. Oh and Kotaku
There was noticeable lag while playing Child of Eden with Kinect, most likely a product of the hardware, not the software. I lost sight of my targets more than once and likely would have failed an attempt or two if "game over" conditions were built into the TGS demo. But playing the game with Kinect was my preferred method, if only for the sensation that it brought me closer to the game, making me feel like an interactive part of the experience.
I'm a bit puzzled as the previews of Kinect are often conflicting.
Sure, in a game like Child of Eden you'd likely feel a bit more connected with the game without a controller, but if there's noticeable lag that breaks the game, wouldn't that break the illusion.
Have gamers forgotten how it feels to be in the "zone", truly be one to one with the game's controls and lose the surrounding world. I know in games like WipEout that have very little input lag, I'm very close to the game, I can't imagine how I could really feel like being part of the experience if input is laggy and inprecise.

I'm a bit puzzled as the previews of Kinect are often conflicting.

It may be because the experience is new, and people are setting their own expectations.

Sure, in a game like Child of Eden you'd likely feel a bit more connected with the game without a controller, but if there's noticeable lag that breaks the game, wouldn't that break the illusion.

I believe it depends on the pace of the game, and the mechanics. e.g., If a game is non-competitive, a tight response may not be critical. People can take their time to experiment with the new experience. One of the reviewers mentioned that there is no game over for the build.

I meant positive impressions about the technology.
These are reviews of the game. In a game thread, talking about the games and not the technology! So irrespective of the tech, Kinect is described as their preferred way of playing, warts and all, because it feels better.

At this point I think, certainly in the early days of Kinect, we have enough info to know it's not pin-sharp input. That's not what it's about. It's time to let that discussion go (certainly in this thread) and instead look at what experiences Kinect actually provides and whether it's actually fun or not. This game seems to be resonating and leaving very positive impression with those whom it clicks with, which bodes well.

These are reviews of the game. In a game thread, talking about the games and not the technology! So irrespective of the tech, Kinect is described as their preferred way of playing, warts and all, because it feels better.

At this point I think, certainly in the early days of Kinect, we have enough info to know it's not pin-sharp input. That's not what it's about. It's time to let that discussion go (certainly in this thread) and instead look at what experiences Kinect actually provides and whether it's actually fun or not. This game seems to be resonating and leaving very positive impression with those whom it clicks with, which bodes well.

Thank you for this. I am really getting tired of the complaints. This is a thread for the game experience and not the tech behind Kinect.

I agree with the sentiments but the tech side really is a big part of the game experience. There is certainly no point in constantly mentioning that Kinect has a certain amount of lag in many games, we all know this. However discussing how these technical issues may or may not effect certain types of games and its effect on the overall individual game experience is valid.

I agree with the sentiments but the tech side really is a big part of the game experience. There is certainly no point in constantly mentioning that Kinect has a certain amount of lag in many games, we all know this. However discussing how these technical issues may or may not effect certain types of games and its effect on the overall individual game experience is valid.
As long as it's kept in relation to the game experience, yes. If we just look at this most recent example, Rangers says there are lots of impressed people, and thop replies he hasn't seen any good impressions. Ranger's links to good game impressions, and thop replies those aren't technical impressions. Well clearly in a thread about the games, it's the impression of the game experience that matters. If people are saying, "this game sucks because the interface tech is really laggy," then the tech is being raised in relation to the games. Whereas if people are saying, "this game rocks," then the tech issues aren't coming into effect, so there's no point taking yet another thread down the Kinect Technology debate when we already have a thread or three for that.

Impressions of Child of Eden, the game, sound pretty positive. Impressions of how well the tech does or doesn't work belongs in a different thread - feel free to post, "Impressions of Child of Eden mention a very noticeable lag," in the Kinect tech thread or Motion Controller thread.

Back