Xbox 360 slim hardware thread

I like it. I pre-ordered one yesterday after seeing it on the E3 coverage.

Now I have to decide if this will replace the Entertainment room Elite or the Bedroom Elite.

Any specific reason to why MS didn't make it so that the current 360's HDDs work on the Slim?

It doesnt appear that they will sell this form factor without a HD for the forseeable future, so being able to plug in your old one wouldnt seem to be a popular use-case. They are selling HD transfer cables for $20 at launch (glad i kept my old one) but these wont require a software DVD anymore, the transfer software will be built in to the OS.

That, and as the others have said, i'm sure it wouldve been too much of a compromise to the design by allowing it to fit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (might be mistaken on the units), but I think the highest video profile BluRay titles are barely in the 40-60 mbit range during fast-action scenes. Add in some buffering of the stream and 100mbit should cover it fine.
Yep. Unless you're streaming multiple HD streams from a NAS, 100 Mbit is good enough for any home content. Gigabit's only nice if you're going over lots of content.

Any specific reason to why MS didn't make it so that the current 360's HDDs work on the Slim?

Just some theories here, but with the size they were targeting, I'm sure it would be too big and I bet they didn't want the big bulge sticking out of it. Plus,it gives MS a chance to totally redesign the look & get away from any bad stigmas the old design might of had.

Some people have wondered why MS abandoned alot of potential accessory revenues(wireless, hard drive), but I think they will make way more back on Kinect add-ons. Plus, they still have a lot of other accessories: MS Points, Gold subscriptions, controllers, chargers/battery packs, headsets, chatpads, USB Sansa drives & HDMI cables.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one don't mind bigger power bricks. At least if designed properly they can last ages. Not like those small and nice but unreliable laptop adapters.

I really can't wait for Kinetic to hit the market though!
Will it be more precise to use your imagined steering wheel or pad to race in Forza III? Yes, it will support Kinetic, just watch today's Spotlight on XBOX Live ;)

Im looking forward to the tear downs, decibel readings and kilawatt unscientific testing. If anyone sees any of that would you please share?

In all I think the console looks pretty good, its a fairly realistic size given the fact they obviously went for noise rather than outright size reductions. I wonder if they have finally isolated the drive because I heard that the thing is quiet even when playing a disc based game!?!

I wonder if they have finally isolated the drive because I heard that the thing is quiet even when playing a disc based game!?!
I bloody well hope they have because the current 360 drive is infuriatingly noisy due to sending disc vibrations straight into the plastic casing, making the whole thing act like a big resonance chamber, although with a quarter TB HDD as standard, you can just - ha ha* - install the whole disc, so it's probably not as big an issue as it was when 360 HDDs were teensy-tiny.

Regarding the kitenic, or kixentic or connexit or whatever...the name's friggin stoopid. Who the hell picked it??? :D I just don't get it, it's phonetically TAILOR-MADE to be confused with something else.

The hardware itself looks.......HUGE. Wow. I thought it would be much smaller, but from the pix I've seen it looks almost the size of a wiimote! A little thinner, and a little shorter, but not much difference. I wonder how heavy it is, I figure the base's probably a massive lump of metal. Anyway, I like heavy hardware. Gives a give impression of quality. :)

* = mocking taunt towards those in the community who in turn mocked PS3 games that require HDD installs. ;)

regarding the HDD

Upgradable Hard Drive
The internal 250GB hard drive is upgradable via a small user-accessible port. Opening the port will not require the use of tools. The new hard drive casing fits inside the console completely and is not compatible with existing consoles. Older hard drives are similarly incompatible with the new Xbox 360. The new hard drive casing's connector looks to be composed of standard SATA power and data ports, as opposed to the proprietary connector present on the original Xbox 360. Microsoft did not state what RPM the internal hard drive was running at.

also this...

Sound
Based on our brief encounter with the Xbox 360 250GB, the machine does seem much quieter than the original. Turning on the machine we had to move our ears to within inches of the machine to notice it, but we do have to note that we were in a rather crowded room. A single large fan cools the console. In comparison to smaller fans, large fans are able to move an equivalent amount of air at lower fan speeds, which also reduces noise output. The original Xbox 360 used two smaller fans to get the same job done. Putting a game into the DVD drive raised sound levels slightly but didn't affect acoustics anywhere near as much as the original Xbox 360.
Capacitive Touch Buttons
The new Xbox 360 250GB has touch capacitive power and disk eject buttons. Unlike many touch capacitive buttons, both are highly responsive and emit a slight beep when touched to signal that you actually pushed them. The disk eject button looks quite small but is easy to press.

I bloody well hope they have because the current 360 drive is infuriatingly noisy due to sending disc vibrations straight into the plastic casing, making the whole thing act like a big resonance chamber, although with a quarter TB HDD as standard, you can just - ha ha* - install the whole disc, so it's probably not as big an issue as it was when 360 HDDs were teensy-tiny.

Its a big big improvement from what I hear. Great for places like Europe and Japan where the living rooms are smaller, the Americans don't hear it because its a cultural norm to sit about 30 feet away! :D

@ ha ha: I use a 60GB and that works fine. 250GB is over the hill overkill.

Regarding the kitenic, or kixentic or connexit or whatever...the name's friggin stoopid. Who the hell picked it??? :D I just don't get it, it's phonetically TAILOR-MADE to be confused with something else.

Its Kinect! Actually I like the name as it evokes what the nature of the interface is about, kinetic + connection and its immediately obvious like the name 'Wii'. Im also very pleased they are getting rid of the Arcade and Elite names. I think they are counter productive for normal people, I suspect some people are either confused or put off by the name 'Elite'.

The hardware itself looks.......HUGE. Wow. I thought it would be much smaller, but from the pix I've seen it looks almost the size of a wiimote! A little thinner, and a little shorter, but not much difference. I wonder how heavy it is, I figure the base's probably a massive lump of metal. Anyway, I like heavy hardware. Gives a give impression of quality. :)

I never thought of this... Maybe its to make the fat chicks feel better about themselves? :p Anyway it seems to do its job but I have no fricken clue as to why the base needs to be motorised unless they intend to sell it to the merchant navy as entertainment. :LOL:

Anyway it seems to do its job but I have no fricken clue as to why the base needs to be motorised unless they intend to sell it to the merchant navy as entertainment. :LOL:

During the briefing it was explained that one of the reasons for the tilt was to "keep it simple" and allow for tracking of the user in order to keep them in middle of the frame, like during the Video Kinect demo. I also believe it also helps because of all the different type of environments it will be in. It probably does an automatic calibration. So you don't have to worry about whether it's on top of your TV, below your TV or off center etc.

Tommy McClain

The motorized stand makes sense methinks if for nothing else from a pure convenience standpoint. You don't have to spend much, if any effort setting it up, and it won't fail to perform (as often anyway) if it can follow your movements to some extent. Hopefully the mechanism won't be prone to seizure either. :p

I still wonder why the camera hardware is so bloody big though - even accounting for the motor mechanism it's way bigger than it really needs to be. Apparantly it's just a dumb camera device with no internal processing, so there doesn't need to be room for a lot of additional circuitry inside. Even the array mic shouldn't need to be that wide - the one in Sony's pseye isn't as wide, and it works great. Very nice sound quality from it. Oh well. I guess part of it is that american "bigger is better" mentality that drove the design philosophy of the ginormous original xbox. :)

Regarding scratchy disks - dunno if there's really any way to avoid this with DVD tech. If the lens has to be so close to the disk that the two almost touch in order to read it, then this will happen if you disturb the drive. Perhaps MS could have put some teflon pads around the lens to provide some protection, but that would require even greater customization of the drive hardware = higher prices. Hardware vendors never like that.

Don't this very same thing happen if you flip a PS3 from vertical to horizontal while it's reading a game disc?

The motorized stand makes sense methinks if for nothing else from a pure convenience standpoint. You don't have to spend much, if any effort setting it up, and it won't fail to perform (as often anyway) if it can follow your movements to some extent. Hopefully the mechanism won't be prone to seizure either. :p
Yeah, it seems a good idea. Although how much rotation does it have? You'll need a fair bit of space behind it if it rotates to any significant amount.
I still wonder why the camera hardware is so bloody big though...Even the array mic shouldn't need to be that wide - the one in Sony's pseye isn't as wide, and it works great.
I can only guess it's that. Sony's mic is small, but I can't say I've ever experienced any sound selection/noise cancellation from it. Certainly using it for voice chat, it transmits every sound and not just the player. A wider mic array would make the timing differences more pronounced which perhaps leads to better (or even just working. Has anyone known of noise cancellation with PSEye?) sound isolation.

Damn, just realized MS is ending the BING shopping discount promotion. I hope these are in stock when I get back to the states, I think I'll have a 1 week window to order one before the promotion ends. Argh.

Now that I'm finally replacing my launch 360, I'm getting kind of misty eyed and nostalgic thinking about it.

Regards,
SB

I see the new model xbox is currently #1 at amazon
xbox should have a very good june NPD

Not that you would move the console but still.
OK I agree you shouldnt move a machine with a spinning disc, but what about discman's, car CD players etc they seem to work reasonably well, so its certainly possible to have a machine that is able to be moved.

Back