Official E3 Nintendo Conference Thread 2010

I am in no way a diehard fan. The initial lineup is good, including several hardcore titles (metal gear, resident evil). It looks like they'll have some good games and good support from 3rd parties. Very promising.
OK that was the interesting part but I'm not to play with graphic from another century sorry.
Whatever Nintendo pulled out will be pulled out by Sony and more importantly Apple sooner than latter.
I'm losing hope on the future of handled gaming, or I start to acknowledge the fact that in this regard smart phone are the future, some millions or tenth of 3DS sold won't change this.

True that, the iPad seems utterly more compelling now - both as a device to have and a device to develop on.

To be honest, what would you choose as a dev? A "cereal box illusion" 3D image or a big big big touch surface capable of multitouch?

With the hardware on the 3DS Nintendo will be looking at the hurdles Sony faced with the PSP- a big gap between the current gen consoles and the portables.The DS was such a success because it tried to avoid getting into this losing game of contortion (for the sake of mobility) but what does the 3DS offer on top of that? Is there anything really new besides the gyro and analog? The push for 3D and real 3D gaming- would it drive devs into another frenzy of bad console game representation (porting) like the PSP?

That Kid Icarus game looks good enough for me. (and it's certainly going to look a heck of a lot better on the 3ds screen than it does in a crappy GT stream at the wrong resolution) Awesome show, unlike the MS trainwreck yesterday. Seriously temped to buy a Wii now as well. Love what they did with Zelda graphically as well. The painterly and sort of cel shaded style is a great match for the hardware.

Epic Mickey looks very cool. I'll be excited to see how the final product reviews and the user feedback.
Donkey Kong wins the show. I want to play this!

I don't have an interest in handhelds but from what I can see, the 3DS will easily pick up and take off to the same success as the current DS.

This pretty much seals it. I'll have to rebuy a Wii at some point this year. I will not miss out on, NSMB Wii, SMG2, DKC and Epic Mickey. No one does platformers better than Nintendo.

OK that was the interesting part but I'm not to play with graphic from another century sorry.
Whatever Nintendo pulled out will be pulled out by Sony and more importantly Apple sooner than latter.
I'm losing hope on the future of handled gaming, or I start to acknowledge the fact that in this regard smart phone are the future, some millions or tenth of 3DS sold won't change this.

Sure you have fun with your 500 dollar device that won't even last 3 hours when gaming and has shitty touch screen only control input. Not to mention the total lack of decent games. The other 100+million people will get a 3ds and have worse gfx but a decent price, tons of great games and good controlls and a battery that actually lasts long enough to do some decent on the road gaming.

Seriously. When will people finally start realising nobody gives to shits about gfx? certainly not on handhelds. Nintendo always dominated the handheld scene while they always had handhelds with far less capabilities than the competition. Why is it so hard to accept for some people?

edit: But what I really wanted to ask is if there is some place I can download the show or see all the trailers? I missed the live show but I love to see some of the games. Especially donkey kong. My first console was a SNES with donkey kong country and I love those games.

edit: But what I really wanted to ask is if there is some place I can download the show or see all the trailers? I missed the live show but I love to see some of the games. Especially donkey kong. My first console was a SNES with donkey kong country and I love those games.

You should be able to rewatch the show almost instantly EDIT: on gametrailers, though it seems to be overloaded right now. By the way, no-one cares about graphics on a handheld is a big overstatement. It's just not the most important thing. ;)

Strange, but I liked Kirby most in the whole presentation.

I think gametrailers has it.

Apparently the games actually exist.

Mario Kart 3DS, Pilotwings 3DS, MGS Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample". Pilotwings, wow.

Super Street Fighter 4 3DS (WTF).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 kids, a 5 year old and 2 year old. I have a NDS, iPhone, and iPad. My kids prefer games on the iPhone/iPad. I've tried to get them interested in the DS (so I can use my damn phone), but Apple has something here: lack of buttons, obviousness of touch optimized yields better user experience, lower learning curve.

Hell, I work for Google and try to get my kids to play games on Android, but I have to admit, Android phones have too many buttons (the Menu button in particular).

Nintendo should be worried. The iPhone in Japan launched and is selling like hotcakes. The price of the cheaper iphones are dropping to $99. Battery life is improving. The publishing model is *way* better even if Apple is a bitch with censorship, it's quicker to author a game with Xcode and publish it as a digital download or with virtual purchases in-app, then to publish through retail, cartridge, or memory card.

3DS does seem lacking in light of iPhone. It's a DS with a 3D screen, a screen which isn't going to change gameplay. And then they've added an analogue button when they have a touch-screen, which seems a step backwards, at least for DS type games. It will improve traditional games, like a top-down shooter that can have analogue direction now. Compared to Apple, it seems very yesteryear. 3D will have to be extremely compelling.

Nintendo did a great job with 3DS. For the casual gamer, and especially for kids this is the perfect choice. The 3D screen may not add anything to the gameplay but it adds to the experience. It has the features it needs, and it might open doors to more ideas.

The good thing about Nintendo and MS in their strategy is that they eliminate as much as possible the hardware you have to use to get a specific experience while they replace anything that needs getting used to with a direct solution.

And then they've added an analogue button when they have a touch-screen, which seems a step backwards, at least for DS type games.

That's what people thought of DS games in 2004. These days touch is used alongside everything else -- analog control was one of the things that are really missing from the DS, all the schemes to simulate it via the touch screen were bad.

It will improve traditional games, like a top-down shooter that can have analogue direction now. Compared to Apple, it seems very yesteryear. 3D will have to be extremely compelling.

Why? Are you saying there's no room for larger handheld experiences?

Indeed double standards, if 6 unannounced (if rumored) games are suddenly 'same old games with a gimmick' when elsewhere 'shooter #4444' gets a pass. The last console Zelda was a GC game. There hasn't been a console Kirby in ages. Donkey Kong... well, there was the Jungle Beat game, and its re-release, but not a platformer.

Why would Nintendo even care about reaching PSP level? The DS didn't reach the PSP's level, how did that go for them?
Indeed double standards. MS announced at least 6 new games (Kinectimals, Kinect Sports, Kinect Joyride, Kinect Adventure, Star Wars, Ubisoft Your Shape, The Eden thing (Rez 2 looks like), The Dance game, a new Forza, and more). Many of those weren't even rumored.

The last console Zelda was a Wii game, by the way. (Twilight Princess)

Great show, packed with games, much better than I expected.

I want to know the physical stats (thickness and weight) of that 3DS. It seemed to be slimmer than the DSi/DS lite, but I can't be sure from just a bit of video.

edit: on Nintendo's new 3DS section the weight is given as approximately 8oz (preliminary specs yadda yadda). 225ish grams I reckon.

0.8 inches thick ≃20mm. I've measured 22mm on my DSlite (sans rubber feet), so that's a welcome improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
some good, some meh. That icarus game didn't really look that great. It's a step up from the ds, but come on.....we want something better....I'm guessing 64 megs of ram at most.
You should check out the Metal Gear Solid 3D demo.
3DS does seem lacking in light of iPhone. It's a DS with a 3D screen, a screen which isn't going to change gameplay. And then they've added an analogue button when they have a touch-screen, which seems a step backwards, at least for DS type games. It will improve traditional games, like a top-down shooter that can have analogue direction now. Compared to Apple, it seems very yesteryear. 3D will have to be extremely compelling.
They also mentioned the added tilt sensor and gyroscope a la iPhone 4, not to mention the dual cameras will make 3D tracking all the more much accurate.

I have 2 kids, a 5 year old and 2 year old. I have a NDS, iPhone, and iPad. My kids prefer games on the iPhone/iPad. I've tried to get them interested in the DS (so I can use my damn phone), but Apple has something here: lack of buttons, obviousness of touch optimized yields better user experience, lower learning curve.

Well obviously a 2 year old isn't capable of playing anything other than simple straight forward games. 5 year olds probably still lack a lot of skills needed for more complex gaming (or more complex tasks too for that matter) too.

Hell, I work for Google

Good. Stop showing me german search results when I search in Dutch ;)

Nintendo should be worried. The iPhone in Japan launched and is selling like hotcakes.

Yes. Its a phone. Besides if you look at the metro's the amount of iphones you see is nothing compared to the amount of other phones. Also its far far smaller than the amount of people with a ds/psp you see and if you consider that a fair amount of people probably does little to no gaming on their iphone I don't see how apple is a threat to Nintendo. Sure apple sells games, but its on a different level than Nintendo. Apple is for the small, im bored and want to be entertained for 5 minutes games. Nintendo (and sony) are there for people who want bigger games. Even a simple pick up and play game like new super mario bros already has way more depth than any iphone game I ever seen.

Would you please point me to all those awsome iphone games? ;)

Back