Killzone 3 and MLAA

And the aliasing along car seams is a great example of why 4xMSAA shouldn't be the universal benchmark for console IQ.

But they may not be MSAA related, but come from low-res shadows and/or HDR side-effects (I think it's the shadows in most cases). Still, MLAA could cover both the shadows and HDR side-effects, being a pure post-prossessing solution.

Well racing games will have a lot of sub pixel edges to deal with I won't count on MLAA much when it comes to racing games.

Well racing games will have a lot of sub pixel edges to deal with I won't count on MLAA much when it comes to racing games.

Surely a way to apply it selectively could be found? I would assume that the problem with racing games is the background, what with all those far away details slowly coming in to view. With MLAA they would look quite messy, but perhaps programmers could just not-apply MLAA to that part of the screen. I don't know!

MLAA doesn't mess up small meshes, but cannot smooth them. You need multisampling at the subpixel level (or going with a new drawing method that doesn't rasterise subpixel triangles which I advocate but no-one seems to be doing yet!). To combine MSAA and MLAA, you're going to have to spend more resources running both AA methods, which is plain too costly, unless MSAA can be very selective and only used on subpixel sized objects..

Siren had 4XMSAA as well and coupled with the dark colour palette, the IQ was pretty good. It was sub-HD like Alan Wake too, but ran at a slightly higher horizontal resolution (1024 instead of 960).

GOW3's colour palette (= dark, darker, darkest) allowed it to have a generally 'stable' contrast. Very few instances of starking contrast (black-white, red-green etc...). This of course makes it a little harder to catch the jaggies, even if it had no AA. Same for KZ2, but in that case QAA blurs everything so much that the jaggies is the least of our problems!
I dunno, because the Aphrodite sex scene in GOWIII and the environment in which it took place (downloadable from Gametrailers btw, I think) was pretty damn bright and colorful with lots of clean and clear edges/contrasts, and the image quality still held up admirably, nary a jagged edge to be seen.

Oh, here it is (warning: nudity): http://www.gametrailers.com/video/-contains-nudity-god-of-war/62768

For those people arguing that 4xMSAA would be strictly better than a MLAA implementation a la GOWIII, they might want to take a look at this scene, because the anti-aliasing holds up extremely smoothly on all of the bright, contrasty edges. Even straight-up 4xMSAA (no blur filter) would probably falter under these conditions a little bit, I think, in terms of smoothing out edges.

Although the compression and quality on the Gametrailers vid isn't the best, but I've seen the scene in a higher quality Youtube vid and in-game.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can also mention - for the 10000th time, i think there's a memory loss issue on these boards - that effectiveness of AA on the IQ varies so much according to the game because of colour palettes, contrast in different scenes and yawn i'm already bored.

GOW3's colour palette (= dark, darker, darkest) allowed it to have a generally 'stable' contrast. Very few instances of starking contrast (black-white, red-green etc...). This of course makes it a little harder to catch the jaggies, even if it had no AA. Same for KZ2, but in that case QAA blurs everything so much that the jaggies is the least of our problems!

Uncharted 2 had a less 'forgiving' contrast for its AA method. It still looks pretty clean but the variety in colours and contrasts - which gives the game its amazing look in its own right - makes it harder to hide the jaggies, especially with a measly 2xAA @ 720p.

Now, some vitamin B6 for everyone!!

I have seen the E3 demo of GOW 3 and the jaggies are really evident here in the high contrast moments or under the light effects, or even in more different situations...MLAA has sure it's limits but it's a lot better of 2xmsaa. We can discuss about 4xmsaa more 'uniform' effect, but just depending on what you can tolerate more... 4xmsaa & its limits with the high contrast levels, vs MLAA 16xAA edges appeals & its limits of small edges detect or particularly slowely camera motions . To me MLAA is better because it's very cheap and the illusions of 16xAA even not uniforms, it has an extra value...From what I have seen MLAA works greatly even in LBP 2 and KZ 3 too.

I have seen the E3 demo of GOW 3 and the jaggies are really evident here in the high contrast moments or under the light effects, or even in more different situations...

The E3 demo uses 2xMSAA ... ! Only the final retail game uses MLAA.

I dont think I like MLAA on KZ3. It gives the helghast a "groty CG" look imo. They should focus on other parts of the graphics. Killzone was always about looking grainy anyway.

I have seen the E3 demo of GOW 3 and the jaggies are really evident here in the high contrast moments or under the light effects.
MLAA is better with high contrast edges than other methods because the algorithm is all about finding edges and smoothing them, and high contrast edges are easier to find! And unlike MSAA, MLAA works on the tonemapped LDR buffer so won't interpolate HDR values outside the final dynamic range.

I think the KZ3 MLAA still has a fair ways to go...sub pixel issues seem more apparent to me than in GOW3:

28cek4k.jpg

All those railing and pointy geometry, there are just plain more subpixels! Nowt can really be done about that.

I think the KZ3 MLAA still has a fair ways to go...sub pixel issues seem more apparent to me than in GOW3:
:???: Pre alpha... however my doubts is: if no one knew MLAA has those flaws how many people would have noticed those? :???:

I'd rather have them do QAA again instead of MLAA... just too many railings,fences,wires to cause the issue. Atleast this is one game where the blur would help the look as well.

Back