[360,PS3] Vanquish - New game from Shinji Mikami

Well I was mighty excited for this game & I still am but the short length only means that I'm gonna pass it for now & get it later when it goes cheap. :|

I like this Joystiq review, the demo hinted at this feeling

At the end of six hours, I was feeling as rough as Sam's voice from the challenge, but also coursing with adrenaline -- and a profound desire to walk around high-fiving everyone in sight. Vanquish is a supremely fun and polished action game that makes even Gears of War look like a leisurely stroll, and you simply must not miss it.

I hope it lives up to that review.

I've been playing this game for the past two evenings and it is very intense! The game is NOT 4hrs long btw. My favorite weapon is definitely the Low Frequency Emitter...looks cool and sounds cool too (subwoofer required). In fact this game has some very cool weapons sound effects. The environments are cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview: Atsushi Inaba
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1025/Interview-Atsushi-Inaba

Platinum Games’ executive producer on the Sega deal, Vanquish, and sticking with new IP

Back at E3 I asked Shinji Mikami why he turned his attentions to designing Vanquish – a blistering action shooter so strikingly different from his previous work.

“I’m bored with making anything else,” he said, “so I made this”.

Was choosing PS3 as Vanquish’s lead platform a lesson learnt from the criticised PS3 port of Bayonetta?

We only created the Xbox 360 version of Bayonetta, as you know, and I am aware of the negative comments the PS3 edition received.
But as a studio, I felt we needed to develop substantial know-how of PS3 development, in order to survive in the market. That was the main reason why we chose PS3 as the lead platform.

I beat the game today. It's not 4 hours. Maybe if you played on the easiest mode so you could just run past enemies to the objectives, and also never died, and also skipped all of the cut scenes. My play time was like 7-8 hours on normal difficulty.

I liked it quite a bit. It's very well made. My only real gripe with the game is that it has too many cut scenes. Especially for a super high speed frantically paced game like this, whenever the control is taken away from me and I have to watch a cut scene I get frustrated.

Visually, it looks pretty great. But I do wish they could have made it run at a higher resolution. The up scaling does make it look pretty blurry and washed out at times.

I beat the game today. It's not 4 hours. Maybe if you played on the easiest mode so you could just run past enemies to the objectives, and also never died, and also skipped all of the cut scenes. My play time was like 7-8 hours on normal difficulty.

I liked it quite a bit. It's very well made. My only real gripe with the game is that it has too many cut scenes. Especially for a super high speed frantically paced game like this, whenever the control is taken away from me and I have to watch a cut scene I get frustrated.

Visually, it looks pretty great. But I do wish they could have made it run at a higher resolution. The up scaling does make it look pretty blurry and washed out at times.

Thanks for the info! 7-8 hours fits well to the statements in other reviews.

I like the cutscenes. The only problem is a few times, the cutscenes is right after a checkpoint. If I die, I have to rewatch them.

I agree the game is very well made. It's intense without being punishing. Currently in Act 4. How many more to go ?

EDIT: And I'm done ! ^_^ Great game. A recommended buy.

For those who have ventured far enough, what's the fastest way to kill a:

* Crystal Viper
I saw a [] icon popped up a couple of times but didn't press it in time. Can I melee it to death ?

* Unknown
I killed it by slowly wearing it down. The other way is to use a Rocket Launcher. Is the LFE gun effective ?

I never really used the Disc Launcher and the LFE gun in the game.

Not sure if these are THE fastest way but it's what I did and it's fairly fast.

Crystal Viper: LFE until it drops to its knees then shoot the red glowing sphere on his chest with a strong weapon like a rocket launcher.

Unknown: Break it up into pieces with machine gun then throw a EMP emitter while the red sphere is isolated/exposed then boost up close and/or use AR mode and shoot the sphere with a powerful gun of your choice. The LFE isn't very effective and is too slow against the Unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, is the Disc Launcher useful against anything ? I can't seem to kill the mobs with it.

I also don't know how to use the Lock-on Laser. The gunsight is a little too strange for me.

I completed the game with the standard 4 guns: Assault Rifle, Heavy Machine Gun, Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher. Only melee'd 2 poor enemies to a pulp. ^_^

Games (TM) has given Vanquish a 9/10 and called it a perfect game from Platinum, just like Bayonetta :D ! They usually match my scores for games, should be amazing.

I recently ordered this along with Bayonetta from Shopto.....game's really great, but for some reason Bayonetta's keeping me hooked up a lot more than Vanquish. I haven't even finished the first Act in Vanquish but I'm already in Bayonetta's 8 or 9th chapter, eventhough I started it after Vanquish.

Back