[360,PS3] Vanquish - New game from Shinji Mikami

You can target his head too.

If all his limbs and head are gone, you can shoot at his core when he unleashes the death ray attack.

Use boost to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

I can't play Bayonetta. This one I can stomach !

You can target his head too.

If all his limbs and head are gone, you can shoot at his core when he unleashes the death ray attack.

Use boost to get out of the way as quickly as possible.

I can't play Bayonetta. This one I can stomach !

After I posted that, I found out that I'd also have to get behind him and target his back before the core was open for good, then it was not an issue. I had a problem with running out of ammo more than dying, that's precisely why I don't play resident evil too. However, weak points should not be targetable after you've destroyed them, horrible, inconsistent design!

There're multiple ways you can defeat that boss. The quickest but probably most risky is shooting one of his ankles and when he falls to the ground boost right up to the core and use your guns. You could do this two times one for each ankle. You don't even need to shoot the other core located on his back.

I shot the ankle once, but the next time its health bar wasnt going down.
Definitely not a fan of how weak points are implemented on that boss fight.

In the beginning the ankles are glowing, after you damage them enough the leg damage meter decreases, when it decreases to zero the boss falls. when it gets back up that damaged ankle shouldn't be glowing anymore even though you could still target it and do more damage to it, but you're just wasting ammo at that point. You have two chances one for each ankle to drop the boss and attack the core, but if you're not able to defeat it with that method then you'll have to resort to shooting the core on its back. Your ultimate goal is to target the main core in the chest, that is the bosses main health meter it's actually called the core meter. The joints, head etc have their own meters. You can't kill the boss from just shooting the individual parts. You only shoot those parts for example the elbow to disable the hand cannons etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not like this game, don't like the way enemy weak points reveal and hide and it took me an hour to beat the end boss, after dying a few times before memorizing its attack patterns. I shot his arms and legs, with a QTE on the arms part, yet those parts are still targetable with half the energy and they don't go down after that. That's bad design, they should not even appear as weak points to target, it confused me to no end.

Are you blue yellow color blind? This is not an insult. It seems like the most likely what is going on here from reading your post.

All the weak parts you are supposed to shoot are colored yellow. When they cease being yellow, you should move on to the next part.

I didn't know there's an additional core in his back. :LOL:

There is also a white timing bar to indicate how long the core is vulnerable.

The sniper rifle is the most powerful. It takes about 5 shots to damage a joint. If you want, the mounted turret can be used to target the boss's main core when he's down. The grenades are useless against the boss.

Are you blue yellow color blind? This is not an insult. It seems like the most likely what is going on here from reading your post.

All the weak parts you are supposed to shoot are colored yellow. When they cease being yellow, you should move on to the next part.

I didn't pay attention to that, I was just going by the hud. I assumed if it shows a health bar, it should be shootable, however for example the arms still show a health bar after I shoot them off, and shooting further doesn't damage them any more.

I used the turret to finish him off because I'd run out of ammo (after picking up all the crates upstairs and downstairs) trying to shoot body parts that the hud was still showing me a health bar for :)

I didn't pay attention to that, I was just going by the hud. I assumed if it shows a health bar, it should be shootable, however for example the arms still show a health bar after I shoot them off, and shooting further doesn't damage them any more.

Actually, it does, but it takes a lot more rounds to make the health bar on a previously damaged limb go down.

I love that Vanquish has a "SD mode", glad to see that some devs don't shaft SDTV owners over

Almost worth purchasing it just to support that

This game is the bastard child of Gears, Wet, and Max Payne...
I also wonder if they sacrificed too much for platform parity. Given that PS3 doesn't get 30fps throughout, I'd wager 2x MSAA is taking the toll on the PS3 version. Maybe they should replace it with MLAA on the PS3 and maybe the 360 can easily do 4x MSAA but they held back for the sake of platform parity.

I also wonder if they sacrificed too much for platform parity. Given that PS3 doesn't get 30fps throughout, I'd wager 2x MSAA is taking the toll on the PS3 version. Maybe they should replace it with MLAA on the PS3 and maybe the 360 can easily do 4x MSAA but they held back for the sake of platform parity.

if you read the other post here

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1467659&postcount=1278

neither version were held back, both struggle to maintain a solid 30 fps. Both need to sacrifice in resolution and stuck at 2XMSAA probably.

That boss is HARD. I still haven't beaten him after several tries over several days. Even after reading this thread and learning many things I didn't know.

I kind of like it though I suppose, that old school Japanese difficulty. And I imagine this is just an early boss in the game! I hope the rest of the bosses aren't all this hard.

That boss is HARD. I still haven't beaten him after several tries over several days.

WAH-Hahahahahah !
[size=-2][How do I make this bloody quote blink][/size]

Ahem. It's easier if I keep moving or boost as much as I want.

To be honest, I am too afraid to venture downstairs myself.

You honestly think they would intentionally make the 360 version dip below 20fps to achieve parity?

That boss is HARD. I still haven't beaten him after several tries over several days. Even after reading this thread and learning many things I didn't know.

I kind of like it though I suppose, that old school Japanese difficulty. And I imagine this is just an early boss in the game! I hope the rest of the bosses aren't all this hard.

It's not hard, just boost to the boss' back when he opens up to do the big blast ray thing, it's actually pretty repetitive, not the best pattern fight I've experienced. The demo on the whole was pretty meh.

Well... the first and second time were great (dazzling !). Once you figure out the pattern, the magic kinda fades a little. But you gotta admit, it's pretty cool. Is the walk path scripted ? or does it follow me ? I can't tell for sure.

Back