FIFA World Cup 2010

Throughout the game, the Danish primarily had issues holding on to the ball. That didn't get worse after the first goal, but it definitely was their biggest weakness, and the reason they didn't make it to the other side enough. They really have to work on their counters if they want to make it further than the first round using Italian defense.

Dutch and German play-style remarkably similar this year, I think, even if the different opponents appear to mask this a little. There's definitely some potential in the Dutch offense. Elia definitely stood out, and Kuyt did great work as well. A few players seem able to work together really well - if this improves over the tournament, there is definitely hope for the team to go somewhere.

Quiet a showing for the Germans yesterday, the match was a pleasure to watch :)
Speak for yourself. It was depressing :(

Still, I suppose in Australia it is only a minor code so to be expected. sigh

Here's one 2010 FIFA World Cup Predictor . The site is similar to BBC's Premier League Predictor so the idea is to enter the likely results and see which teams will proceed to the next rounds.

When a result is entered, the group table is automatically updated based on the result. When all the results of one group have been entered, the predictor will update the knockout stage games with the right teams.

Disclaimer: This is a site which I have created but it doesn't contain any ads so I think it's ok to mention it here.

Kiwis made up for their best buddy the Kangaroos...and drew the game seconds before final whistles. :D

Ivory Cost is playing well against Portugal right now.

Yeesh, all these draws so far. And the sloppy play by virtually all teams, I'm starting to take the players side that the Jubulani ball is just poo, especially combined with the altitude of some of the venues.

I know players have always complained at past World Cups with the introduction of new balls, but it seems this year their complaints are particularly justified. I don't remember 2002 or 2006 being this sloppy.

Regards,
SB

Yeesh, all these draws so far. And the sloppy play by virtually all teams, I'm starting to take the players side that the Jubulani ball is just poo, especially combined with the altitude of some of the venues.
I know players have always complained at past World Cups with the introduction of new balls, but it seems this year their complaints are particularly justified. I don't remember 2002 or 2006 being this sloppy.
Regards,
SB
I think it's just the learning curve to how a new ball handles. I mean, these are professional players so they've got a lot of muscle memory that they might have to unlearn.

The combination of altitude and the new ball has made the tournament booooring so far.

I'm getting kind of bored watching players attempt loads of long-range shots only to see the ball spoon over the bar or be sliced wide...

Spain pwned by Switzerland: Hardly surprising as the Swiss were playing as a team while the Spaniards were doing $DEITY knows what.

I never watch football but I was interested in this match as I had the suspicion that after so many years of using way too many foreign players in the national league Spain's reputation was not close to reality.

Didn't see the game but it does add some weight to my opinion that Spain are a greatly diminished force when playing without a fit Torres... ;)

Spain pwned by Switzerland:
I would hardly call that "pwned". Spain played pretty well, they utterly dominated the game - they just didn't score. Switzerland had one good chance and they managed to take advantage of it. Ultimately, all that counts is the end result but Spain was _cleary_ the better team. Much better. I'd even go so far and say that Spain is probably one of the stronger teams we've seen so far.

I would hardly call that "pwned". Spain played pretty well, they utterly dominated the game - they just didn't score. Switzerland had one good chance and they managed to take advantage of it. Ultimately, all that counts is the end result but Spain was _cleary_ the better team. Much better. I'd even go so far and say that Spain is probably one of the stronger teams we've seen so far.
Well Ive mentioned already in football the results are often very dependent on luck.

odds after the first round
WKround2.png

germany the big risers (theyre who I picked to win the thing at the start of the tournament).
NZ done quite well so much so the aussies are claiming a part in the draw :)
sydneymorningheraldheadline_500x281.jpg

Hmmm, after reading this, it does help a bit to explain why Germany was pretty much the only team able to score a lot of goals in the first round.

The first paragraph is a quote from Capelli.

"But the really big problem is that sometimes this ball is just impossible to control. Impossible. And when you shoot at the goal, you can see it's difficult. When you play on the floor, it's good. When you play the ball longer, it's more difficult."

When asked, Wayne Rooney said the players were "starting to get used to it eventually". He continued: "I can imagine it's been a nightmare for goalkeepers but for forward players when you get your shot off it's an advantage I feel. So I think we're getting more used to it with every day that goes by so hopefully that will help the forwards and midfielders to score more goals throughout the tournament."

Rooney added that Germany had a clear advantage as five clubs in the Bundesliga used the ball last season. "I am sure the Germans will be a lot more used to it. They used it all of last year."

And sounds like for the strikers it's going to be a lot easier to adjust to than for the keepers.

I still don't understand why the ball has to be constantly changed. Just leave the damn thing alone.

Regards,
SB

"I am sure the Germans will be a lot more used to it. They used it all of last year."
I heard yesterday it was only about 4 months usage so far, same with the spanish (the ones that lost yesterday).
My prediction
those that win will love the ball
those that lose will blame various things, referees, ball, crowd, an undiscovered species of parrot even.
After decades of following sport, I know the drill

With ARG vs KOR at 4:1 right now, I guess the ball magically got better since yesterday, since it's apparently not only the German team anymore that is able to score goals.

With ARG vs KOR at 4:1 right now, I guess the ball magically got better since yesterday, since it's apparently not only the German team anymore that is able to score goals.

Well, Argentina have some very skilful players so it's not all that much of a surprise. I've not seen extended highlights but saw the goals and a couple were pretty lucky too - one own goal and another deflection which fell nicely to Higuain. It will be interesting to see how the Argentinian defence holds up against one of the better teams as they started the last World Cup in great form before losing out.

That said, remember that some countries (including Germany) have been playing with the ball for several months at least whereas others have only been using them a few weeks. I think the main problems with the ball are at altitude but, regardless, we've not seen much in the way of accurate long-distance shooting and passing which would normally be expected.

I'm not trying to downplay Germany's performance in their first game, by the way. Despite the Aussies being pretty rubbish, the Germans played well with Ozil in particular looking like a very good player. Serbia ought to provide a tougher game but assuming Germany can beat them they should have qualified before needing to play at altitude which is a bonus.

I didn't watch the entire match but, like I said, it seemed to me that the Swiss were playing as a team while the Spaniards where not. It's good that Spain lost as it prevented a bunch of retards from getting drunk and destroying public property to "celebrate".

In other news, Argentina kicked some butt today, 4-1.

Heh, that was the one and only time I think I'll ever root for Mexico. :D

France still has a slim chance but would have need to win their next game by 5 or 6 goals while Uruguay lose without scoring a goal, I "think."

I "think" Mexico would automatically win a Tie with France since they beat them head to head.

I might be calculating that wrong. It's been a long long time since I looked at the tie breaking rules for the group stage.

And now it's off to cross my fingers that team USA doesn't botch their game against Slovenia.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm. What odds that Mexico and Uruguay draw their game? Pretty good, I'd say.

Mexico much the better team but it is really amazing how utterly dreadful France have played when you consider how many players of real quality they have. I know Domenech is unpopular but there was such a lack of teamwork, you have to ask questions not just about his management, but of the character of the players themselves. If I was French, I would be extremely pissed-off with the lot of them.

Back