FIFA World Cup 2010

So when does the US spank the Brits? Isn't that today? :|

It's not the Brits you'll be playing, silly, it's the English. The Scots, Welsh and Nironish would be very annoyed if you confused them with the English(*) and lumped them all in as "Brits". If you do manage to beat us, I'm sure that Mel Gibson will make a very nice movie about it.

(*) The major reason for their annoyance being that their own teams didn't qualify for the WC, because their football teams suck even more than ours, and nobody really misses them. Except maybe North Korea, who would've fancied their chances against them.

Damn, France didn't lose. :( Although they did look rather bad not being able to score even with a man advantage.

I'd be a happy man if France manages to lose or at best tie their next 2 first round matches. Still irked that they got in due to a quite obvious handball.

Regards,
SB

Damn, France didn't lose. :( Although they did look rather bad not being able to score even with a man advantage.

I'd be a happy man if France manages to lose or at best tie their next 2 first round matches. Still irked that they got in due to a quite obvious handball.

Why do you want France to lose?

What a fail by Robert Green....feel kinda sorry for that guy.

Anyways this was an interesting match (eventhough it ended in a draw) I'm especially impressed by USA's attack & pace, & wow Landon Donovan is still amazing !

Why do you want France to lose?

Because of the way they did(n't) qualify for the World Cup. :p Ireland should have gotten in. Almost makes one think there was a vested interest by FIFA to get the French team in any way possible. Especially since they are one of the traditional soccer powers. Having a larger TV market than Ireland probably helps also. Yes, I'm being cynical, but it still rubs the wrong way.

And poor England in their match with the US, a blunder by the goalkeeper allowing the equaliser. While glad for the US, England were clearly the better team that match.

That said both teams had a chance to win. How Altidore missed the ball completely with an open net... /me shakes head.

Regards,
SB

So far I thought Germany were outstanding and the team to beat. Holland, Brazil and Portugal still need to play but yesterday, Germany would've beaten anyone imo.

I don't think we should overestimate German performance against Australia. They are known to score lots of goals against weak teams.

I don't think we should overestimate German performance against Australia. They are known to score lots of goals against weak teams.

The German team certainly has potential, but I've seen at least 4 teams so far that could match them. The one thing that the tournament has taught me is that so far going all out to try to get an early goal in proves to be a powerful strategy, if you perceive you have a qualitative advantage over your opponent. Today it's the Dutch team, and as usual, they look to have great individual players, but the proof will be in whether or not they can work as a team.

The Yanks did OK against a well below par England team but still needed our keeper to throw one into the net for them to get the point. We were pretty rubbish and now have probably the slowest central defensive partnership in the tournament yet ought to have won the game. I still predict that we'll qualify from the group, manage to reach the quarter-finals then depart on penalties as usual!

From what I've seen of the other two teams in the group, the US ought to be able to qualify for the next round but they won't get much further than that. Good teamwork can only get you so far but with no great ability in the forward line, I can't see them bagging many goals.

I've been away over the weekend so haven't seen much from most of the other games. I half watched the Germans stuff the Aussies yesterday and they looked decent enough with their usual confident start. Ozil looks like he has plenty of creativity so they should progress through the tournament to the quarter-finals at least but the Australians looked very weak indeed. Haven't they got any good young players coming through?

Fuck interlacing, fuck it up the ass. Each fucking pan the detail gets sucked out of the image.

Own goal for Denmark, poor guys. If that hadn't happened, they were doing an excellent Italian defense style game. They seem to be great defenders (of which their only 4 goal against in preparation of the WK is good proof, with two of those against goals from their win against Portugal, 3-2)

I'm not watching everything but my colleagues have it on HD projector downstairs, sourced by cable tv. Not bad. :p

Back