F-Zero GX

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Ok, this game is really superb. It's hard as hell, but I'm seeing why they made the decision to make it that way; very rewarding in the end to conquer the challenges. I'm a fan of XG3, and this title simply outclasses that game in every respect!

I am totally amazed at the speed and level of detail Amusement Vision pulled off. The people at that developer REALLY have racer game design down. This is the most impressive display of Gamecube graphics next to Star Wars: Rogue Leader.

It obviously comes heavily down to absolutely amazing texturing skills on the part of the artists. Most things seem to be low poly, but the lighting is very good.

A wonderful addition to my GCN library.

Anyone else pick it up? What do you guys think of it?

I was thinking about it. The demo at TRU didn't turn me on. The track was pretty, but boring. I'm sure others are more interesting.

Does battle play a significant role in the game? I'm afraid I like my futuristic racers with weapons, ala Wipeout... But I've been temped to plunk down for F-Zero GX if it's fun and beautiful.

Kolgar

PC-Engine said:
Thank goodness....Wipout = BORING!
If thats your opinion ... ok :rolleyes:
I am sure many gamers disagree.

Anyway, AMUSEMENT VISION rules, can't wait for my copy to arrive :devilish:

damnit, a cube is tempting me more every day. I told myself, if the Cube pack (including Metroid Prime) comes down to 150 CHF / €100 / $100 US, I'll be right there to get one. F-Zero is definately on my list aswell! :)

Phil said:
damnit, a cube is tempting me more every day. I told myself, if the Cube pack (including Metroid Prime) comes down to 150 CHF / €100 / $100 US, I'll be right there to get one. F-Zero is definately on my list aswell! :)
Dude, don't hesitate! The GC complements your PS2 viewtiful, you won't regret it ... I'll promise :)

Swaaye: Agreed.

The game looks great, plays great.. even sounds great. Mostly generic techno, but eh.. the sound effects are good.

It's also got a lot of replay value. Tons of unlockable courses/vehicles/characters and so forth.. and robust multiplayer options. F-Zero is also difficult, sometimes too difficult.. but the more you play, the more you appreciate this.

ChryZ said:
PC-Engine said:
Thank goodness....Wipout = BORING!
If thats your opinion ... ok :rolleyes:

I don't find WO boring, just badly designed. OK, I haven't tried WO3, but WO2 suffered from the same problem as the first game, namely sticky tracks. Bump into anything and you lose major speed. Bad design choice for a racer that relies on speed as a major part of the game.

Couple this with some madly cheating computer racers, and you have a very frustrating experience...

*G*

Grall said:
I don't find WO boring, just badly designed. OK, I haven't tried WO3, but WO2 suffered from the same problem as the first game, namely sticky tracks. Bump into anything and you lose major speed. Bad design choice for a racer that relies on speed as a major part of the game.

Couple this with some madly cheating computer racers, and you have a very frustrating experience...

*G*
We're getting a little off-topic here, but anyway ... I accepted the "sticky track" as part of the challenge, with a little training, cockpit-view and smart use of the air-brakes/boost-pads it was hardly rendering the game unenjoyable. Same goes for the "cheating computer racers", you were able to cause havoc, so it only fair that the computer is able to cause it too. Nobody said, it would be easy :)

Kolgar said:
I was thinking about it. The demo at TRU didn't turn me on. The track was pretty, but boring. I'm sure others are more interesting.

Does battle play a significant role in the game? I'm afraid I like my futuristic racers with weapons, ala Wipeout... But I've been temped to plunk down for F-Zero GX if it's fun and beautiful.

Kolgar
play at the highest difficulty settings and get half way through the game that way. Battle becomes very important.

Is it possible to ram other craft in FZ GX? I never played the N64 version, but in the original SNES game it was extremely dangerous to touch other craft, you were likely to fly off into the barriers, possibly end up facing the wrong way too. Could cost you the entire race actually...

Same thing with Wipeout btw, ramming didn't really work there either. Enemies seemed to basically go on rails and if you knocked them too hard they'd shove you aside like you were an annoying fly.

Would be nice if the controls in FZ were precise enough, and the physics of the game good enough to allow the player to do some mean stuff to competitors... ;)

*G*

GX is a lot like X. You have the spin attack option thru the Z button (i think it's Z). Attacking is used liberally in a story level. I don't really bother during Grand Prix races, but it's certainly a viable tactic to remove the competitors.

The music is sort of a mix of metal/techno/trance. I really like some of it, it's pacing is PERFECT for the game. And, they took a lot of the old FZero tunes and remixed them into some really nice modern, and up-to-the-tech versions.

One complaint I do have is the view options. The in-cockpit view is sorta lacking in that it's just too low, although I suppose this is realistic. I'd also like to be able to hear those turbines better from the cockpit :)

I still can't get over that there is an intro screen with both the Nintendo and Sega logos on it ;)

What games has Amusement Vision made lately? I know there was Daytona USA, but that was years ago. They were Sega AM2 back then I believe. I would love to look up their older stuff.

swaaye said:
What games has Amusement Vision made lately? I know there was Daytona USA, but that was years ago. They were Sega AM2 back then I believe. I would love to look up their older stuff.

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 and Virtua Striker 3.

CeiserSöze said:
swaaye said:

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 and Virtua Striker 3.

I own all three games, and I will own F-Zero GX also in October ^^
I love all Sega games :)

swaaye said:
GX is a lot like X. You have the spin attack option thru the Z button (i think it's Z). Attacking is used liberally in a story level. I don't really bother during Grand Prix races, but it's certainly a viable tactic to remove the competitors.

GX gives close range rams to the left and right, and a spin attack for 'clearance'.

In the Master difficulty, as a matter of fact, since it's damned hard and sometimes more or less impossible to achieve 1st place, the actual 'recommended' strategy is to place as high as you can, while killing off your nearest Rivals so you can pull up past them without NEEDING to finish 1st.

In F-Zero X, finishing the Queen cup on Master, I finished no higher than 10th in any race and still won overall. =) Had over 50 kills at the end of the circuit.

Tagrineth said:
In F-Zero X, finishing the Queen cup on Master, I finished no higher than 10th in any race and still won overall. =) Had over 50 kills at the end of the circuit.

Ugh!

Remind me never to date you, Dragon Lady from ninth level of Hell. ...Or if I do, at least not sit in passenger seat while you drive. ;)

j/k, hehe. :)

Anyway, we PAL users get screwed over as usual of course, blehhhhh. Why do we always have to wait so fricken long before games gets released over here? Grr, still like half a month to go for FZ GX... :(

*G*

Man oh man is this game freaking hard. My hands always gets sweaty after every race. My brother's girlfriend who really likes arcade racers couldn't handle the game, it actually gave her a headache(or an sore eye?) trying to get through one race.

Back