[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This coming one ? Yes. I'll be away from 16th to early August.

You surely can't run & gun in KZ2, and therefore it automatically becomes tactical, cause you now have to think something other than simply running towards your opponent guns blazing. Whether its extremely tactical or just mildly tactical is a different thing altogether.

I am having trouble classifying gameplay like this. When I play objective games, sometimes I do die intentionally to foil the enemy's plan (as in "run and die"). But yeah, the game does provide mechanics for both run & gun or stop & pop. It depends on your role too. If I play as Saboteur, I tend to run as quickly as possible to enemy territory. :p

I wondered myself about the financial success part?!

I am sceptical too when I heard that they want to change it to run and gun (although we don't know yet how this really turns out) as for me that KZ SP gameplay is in a sense closer to the Gears of War gameplay then any other FPS shooter out there (which is a good thing for me!).

But, if it helps that more people play KZ3, that more of my friends join and play online, that MP is more accessible and thus more popular...at the end maybe all of us profit and are happy and maybe even Scott joins the b3D KZ3 party :D

I haven't played any Killzone game but KZ 2 tempted me to buy a PS3. From what I saw at E3, Killzone 3 was the most impressive game for me so it's going to be doubly hard to resist buying a console.

Somethings I noticed in the Qore episode about KZ3.

Fan feedback said the game was to tactical and not enough run and gun, they have "changed" this now, this makes me sad :( @3.40

That is very very disheartening news. It was the reason the campaign had so much replayability. Full-on Run n Gun simply kills replayability in the kind of small arenas setup that KZ2 had :( ! I want my dependency on cover to continue ! It made me think, even if little !

I haven't played any Killzone game but KZ 2 tempted me to buy a PS3. From what I saw at E3, Killzone 3 was the most impressive game for me so it's going to be doubly hard to resist buying a console.

If there's no monetary concern just do it man. There's a lot of content for the machine and a lot of it is great (depending on genre preferences of course).

I can't wait until KZ3 reaches KZ2's level of polish. Wish I can see the game in person. Did you see KZ3 in 3D or 2D ? It sounds like you didn't play it on the show floor ? :(

KZ3 article talking about cinematic deaths:
http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psml?kz_news_article=Cinematic+Deaths
(Videos inside)

During playtesting, this particular cinematic death produced an interesting side-effect: after one jetpack trooper was sent flying by an exploding fuel tank, he managed to land on another jetpack trooper, whose fuel tank promptly ignited as well. Though unintentional, the whole domino effect proved such an amazing spectacle that we decided to leave it in...

While deaths are interesting, I think cinematic fight is more impactful (like GoW3 and to a certain extent MGS4).

Co-op is a huge feature. I'm still skeptical having not enjoyed 2, but co-op is definitely a big seller for me. My eye is back on this one.

I wondered myself about the financial success part?!:D
Why wouldnt a 1st party title that sold well in excess of 2 million not be profitable?. I'd imagine Killzone 2 made a very tidy profit. The production cost of Killzone 2 was if i can remember what i was told 27million Euros.

Play was mistaken about the co op.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255888

"Unfortunately the Killzone 3 preview contains a piece of erroneous information about a four-player co-op mode which isn't present in the game. It was something that had been rumoured that we mistakenly picked up on as fact. Apologies for that, especially to Guerrilla for whom this has been an annoyance."

http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psml?kz_news_article=Killzone+2+vs.+Killzone+3+-+Controls

One of the most characteristic qualities of Killzone 2 was its control scheme, which underscored the weighty feel of the game's first-person animations. It was also Killzone 2's most divisive quality: some players loved the sense of realism it provided, while others believed it impacted the responsiveness too much.

For Killzone 3, Guerrilla's developers are aiming to keep the unique sense of weight in the game while ramping up the accuracy and responsiveness of the controls. We talked to Game Director Mathijs de Jonge to get a better idea of the considerations involved with the redesign.

I don't get why they just dont keep the old slow as molasses control scheme and add a new more responsive scheme. That way they can make everyone happy.

I don't get why they just dont keep the old slow as molasses control scheme and add a new more responsive scheme. That way they can make everyone happy.

If you can make everyone happy with one control scheme, I think that's probably the ideal, no?

The results so far have been very encouraging. "Right now it's still a work in progress," Mathijs says, "but we're definitely getting there. We’ve recalibrated the dead zone to be more responsive and significantly reduced the input lag, resulting in far better accuracy. Best of all, we've managed to retain that sense of weight that set Killzone 2 apart from other shooters. I can't wait for people to try it out."

The bolded part will be an interesting one for DF analysis. ;)

Agreed...especially if it's Online Coop.

Playing coop in split screen mode is probably the lamest thing about coop games. Why the hell would you want to only use half of your screen AND watch your partner's POV?:???:

Because playing together in the same location owns playing online and do conversation via mic(you can actually punch your partner too if he does anything stupid)...Only thing better than splitscreen is LAN

If one has a small TV, I can see why not to like splitscreen...But I am satisfied with my 28", and I still remember playing Super Mario Kart splitscreen on a 15" without having problems

If one has a small TV, I can see why not to like splitscreen...But I am satisfied with my 28", and I still remember playing Super Mario Kart splitscreen on a 15" without having problems
Indeedy. I even played Hired guns on Amiga on a 14" TV. That was only 160x128 resolution per player, yet some of the most fun I've ever had with a computer game. and being able to see each other's POV was an added advantage when someone 'accidentally' died and the rest of the players had a quick death-match to finish each other off before reloading. There was a great victory of mine where, with the last player other than myself in a trench an no access point besides the ramps which he had covered, I took the damage from jumping into the trench and finished him off before he knew what happened.

Modern HD gaming affords us the equivalent of a 14 to 20" screen each, better than anything we've enjoyed before. Now is the very best time yet for splitscreen gaming!

Talking about split-screen, there are two interesting things I noticed recently.

First of all, I read on NeoGaf about an idea that Sony patented which used some kind of box to blend two 3D sources (say, cable and game) into one feed on one 3D screen that then depending on your glasses or settings in your glasses show you one of the two feeds, without seeing the other (came with audio included in the 3D glasses for obvious reasons). An interesting technology, but it also leaves another interesting alternative, i.e. using the same kind of left/right eye filter to just show one image for one player and another for the second player.

Of course, that's not necessarily optimal or superior regular split-screen, but it could be great for some applications, and could even combine with regular split-screen.

Another interesting idea is an existing one - I just played the demo for Lego Harry Potter (pretty good) and it has drop-in drop-out co-op, that keeps the screen together when you're close enough, but dynamically splits the screen into two when you're not. And it doesn't just split the screen left and right - instead it splits it through the middle depending on where the two players are. For instance if you're in the bottom right corner and the other player is in the top left corner, the split-screen will be diagonal. It felt really natural to go in and out of split-screen that way and I thought it was very clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back