[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have literally zero shadow detail in both the dark and extremely bright areas in movies such as Minority Report or War of the Worlds. I don't really care about the math behind it all as long as the result is basically the same.

The crushed blacks are the smaller problem, I've only mentioned it because it's silly to waste a lot of the already small range on this. The histogram should not have an entire band of completely black or white values if they have LDR as a start...

And the bigger problem is the clipped highlights, especially if you look at the gamersyde gallery. A lot of the particle effects are clipped at like 70-80% intensity :(

Look at the muzzle flash:
image_killzone_3-13238-2035_0001.jpg

Whereas in MR, white is 100% white, the entire range is utilized, and the transitions are nicer too:
tom_cruise_minority_report_014.jpg

Anyway, I don't want to argue on this; it's clearly a technical issue, but if you're not disturbed by the results then good for you.

although my personal opinion is it looks dramatic for a still, but it'd be a PITA to actually play.

That's actually the reverse of my opinion. When playing, with all the lighting and other effects and everything moving (including shadows) it's not going to bother me nearly as much as it would in a still shot.

What comes through the glasses is another issue, which I hope will be solved eventually.

Also, if you already have a 80% white - and unutilized tonal range and such artefacts - before the glasses, then the final results are going to be even worse.

For 3D ? I actually don't mind the loss of light. I played Super Stardust 3D. In multiple occasions, my eyes hurt when the screen was too bright. White was very glaring for some reason.

Darker games like MotorStorm is easier on my eyes despite the lower resolution.

For 3D ? I actually don't mind the loss of light. I played Super Stardust 3D. In multiple occasions, my eyes hurt when the screen was too bright. White was very glaring for some reason.

Darker games like MotorStorm is easier on my eyes despite the lower resolution.

The display calibration was probably way off with some of those crazy contrast boosting crap features turned on. Lowered brightness is not a good thing, if your display is actually calibrated properly.

Where KZ3 is concerned, the limited colorspace range will require careful artist work to avoid crushing black. The clipped highlight is not a big problem for me because they are usually gun flare and explosions (KZ2 had nuclear blast that white out the screen >_<). A HDR presentation definitely feels more bright and real (like GT5), but I don't think KZ3 is going for that look on Helghan. The artists will have other tools/tech to make a scene interesting visually.

BTW, what exactly are we calibrating when some games get us to adjust our TV until we can barely see the faint outline/shadow of a logo ?

I see people noting the loss of brightness in SonyStyle 3DTV demo room. It just hasn't been a problem for me. In fact, I was surprised when someone told me about lowered brightness for the first time (was in a reasonably bright demo room). I watched Coraline in 3D at home. The main problem is eye fatique due to anaglyph 3D. The comfort level of 3D glasses is another common issue.

article said:
Ah, so that's why the end of Killzone 3 is in outer space.

Hermen: Yeah, the whole game's premise is "Get. Off. The. Planet."

I wonder if we will have a KZ2 comrade who wants to get off Helghan. :devilish:

One of Sony's product managers revealed to me that you guys have this unofficial goal of achieving "sensory overload" with your games. Care of elaborate?

Steven: It's definitely a term we live by. We want the experience to sometimes be overwhelming where you have to catch your breath. That's what we try to achieve. We want a lot to be going on at any given time, where there's so much information to take in whether you're playing in 3D or 2D as well as the sound system that you have.

Hermen: One of the defining elements I find in Killzone is the visceral, intense combat action. I think we pulled it off in Killzone 2 based on the response of so many people loving it. In fact there might have been too much of it, so we're now interspersing it. But it's still something inate to the franchise and we're always going to keep that. It's part of that sensory overload: it's the weight of your weapon, the epic set pieces around you, the sense of immersion in the world, and now the 3D will put it overboard once again.

Gah... that's what I meant by overdoing the visuals a few posts above. >_<

Don't forget to make the AI even more interesting guys. That's how I like it !

You guys sound rather confident that you'll be able to pull off everything that you outlined in terms of size and scope.

Steven: With Killzone 2, we certainly took our time. With a lot of the tools and technology we developed in KZ2 we don't have to relearn with Killzone 3. We now have that at the start of a project. We now have people who have experience with these kinds of levels so now they're able to move a lot quicker and build these larger environments. We're still learning and we do come up with new technologies in the middle of a project, but the pipeline stays the same. The programmers also create levels in small chunks and the latest technology has allowed them to create more of these chunks in a short span of time. All of a sudden the game just becomes bigger and bigger and bigger.

Hermen: With Killzone 2, we felt like we pretty much scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of performance. Our technology team has actually found an additional 30-40% in performance it we've been trying to figure out how to best apply that into the scale of things. That allowed us to pull off the icebergs you saw today, not to mention the procedurally created content like the sea which is pretty incredible I think. We've been able to pull this off because of the performance we found by the improvements of the technology.

Highlighted for the water freaks on this forum.

And their inspiration:

Going back to your influences from Uncharted 2 and God of War III, were there any specific aspects or features from those games that really wowed you and pushed you guys further?

Steven: The helicopter chase in Uncharted 2 that was revealed in E3 2009 where the building collapsed was a big one. That was a manificent piece of gameplay. It really showed off what the experience of playing Uncharted would be like. I knew right then that I had to play it.

For God of War III, it was having bosses on top of bosses on top of bosses. It's so over the top but so well-executed at the same time. One of the cool moments is where you defeat Posidon as the scene changes to the first person view of your victim and you're still Kratos, but you're at the same time being smacked around. Those are tricks and standout moments for me.

Everyone has their own favorite scenes. For U2, it was the Nepalese village for me. In GoW3 it's the Poseidon's fight and the eye-poking also. :LOL:

The PS Move segment in this Qore episode is actually nicer.

[size=-2][There goes my PSN+ Qore subscription :p][/size]

Somethings I noticed in the Qore episode about KZ3.

1. They said KZ2 was a financial bullseye and critic success for GG, so if Qore is to be believed somebody within GG/Sony was happy with the performance of the game? Its at about 57 seconds in.

2. Fan feedback said the game was to tactical and not enough run and gun, they have "changed" this now, this makes me sad :( @3.40

2. Fan feedback said the game was to tactical and not enough run and gun, they have "changed" this now, this makes me sad :( @3.40
Yea it made me go sad as well.
Those are not "fans" , fans already like it as it is...those are just haters :devilish:

P.S.[Shall we organize B3D KZ2 session sometime in near future ?]

Whoever said Killzone 2 was tactical must have really sucked at shooters. It's about as tactical as "run and hide when you're about to die."

It was more tactical at launch when the aiming was "difficult". Everyone needed to stick together to survive.

EDIT:
P.S.[Shall we organize B3D KZ2 session sometime in near future ?]

Bring it ! Please be fast since my family is away on a summer trip. :devilish:

It is a half shame that the CoD bunch thought the pacing/feel was "wrong" just because it was different to CoD, and another half shame that GG are listening to them.

So an entire shame, I guess.

Whoever said Killzone 2 was tactical must have really sucked at shooters. It's about as tactical as "run and hide when you're about to die."
You surely can't run & gun in KZ2, and therefore it automatically becomes tactical, cause you now have to think something other than simply running towards your opponent guns blazing. Whether its extremely tactical or just mildly tactical is a different thing altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back