[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, can someone explain me the logic of revealing KZ3 not at E3?

Sure their not? I mean this is a leak from a magazine thats not on the stands yet, from my understanding atleast. E3 is about 1 week away, right? So if the magazine is on the stand the day after they reveal it at E3, then it was just the leak that dropped it first.
Its not like it has been confirmed by rumors and anecdotes already

Sure their not? I mean this is a leak from a magazine thats not on the stands yet, from my understanding atleast. E3 is about 1 week away, right? So if the magazine is on the stand the day after they reveal it at E3, then it was just the leak that dropped it first.
Its not like it has been confirmed by rumors and anecdotes already

June 15-17th so about 3 weeks, but yea this is coming from a leak and not a reveal.

Is it probably to early for GG to focus on 3D gaming (maybe they got pushed by SONY)?
3D TVs are not common at the moment, right!
It is also logic that the typical KZ3 audience will not push the 3D TV sales through the roof due to their limited financial resources available - so, there seems to be no strategy argument left!
They could have well waited for KZ4 or something like this, where the effort for a 3D mode would be justified?!?!
Is this the burden you get being a SONY first party...

They need to understand how stereoscopic 3D works. It will take time to work out together with the consumers.

If those Google TVs are also 3DTV, then we may be at the beginning of a(nother) TV revolution. 3DTV uptake will grow quickly since it's going into be in every mid- and hi-end TV.

I have heard very positive feedback about Metro 2033's stereoscopic 3D implementation. Reviewers were wow'ed by it.

It's a little hard to explain the effect. It's like MotorStorm became LittleBigPlanet in stereoscopic 3D (but free from the latter's 3 depth layer restriction). There was a resolution drop in MotorStorm on paper, but it didn't bother me in practice. Everything was sharp, and I suspect KZ3 3D may have to do away with the blur. The biggest issue is the glasses. If you don't mind the glasses, I think you'd be able to appreciate the added depth/volume.

I noticed from the scans that the art style has changed a little. In KZ2, the Helghast environments are like a giant slump altogether. You had made-shift wooden planks, mixed with concrete and metal structures to form a lousy stair case. You had garbages along the corridor. You had sewers. The scans show clean high-tech structures, which take away the organic feel a little. :(

The jetpack design lacks the clean and sleek WW2 German war-machine theme (although still angular).

Would like to see more.

Earlier on, a Dutch magazine mentioned that KZ3 environment will be more destructible than KZ2. Have not seen any other sources that confirms it yet:
http://translate.google.com/transla...ledig-vernietigbaar/&sl=nl&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

If they take that gameplay direction, I'd say KZ2's art may become "frozen in time". We may not see another KZ title like it. I really really like the art direction in that game.

Bloody GG. Makes my choice to buy a new TV, and not wait for a 3D set, seem a little hasty now.

The 3D is very enticing.

But, hmm, the jetpack implementation better be right. They nearly ruined the game when they arrived wih the Fallen Star(?) expansion.

EDIT: Incidentally I just checked what I can get that new Sammy 50+" 3D set for and, claiming back the tax, I'd have it for circa £1250. Hmm. I wonder if my gf would notice the change from 40" -> 50+"...

Perhaps they are sprites, but it doesn't really matter to me. They look "volumetric". That's why I put the phrase in quotes since the beginning.
Mhh, well that's a misuse, it will only cause misinformation.

This is an example of actual volumetric particles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5RMxO5DsPA

Soft particles are sprites (they just have a depth test to fade them at geometry intersection).KZ2 has soft particles like a lot of games nowadays.
Yeah, I know, I was just mentioning that the dust particles in that particular video didn't seem soft .

Aye, but that's the impression it gave me, "volumetric smoke". The experience is not just enforced by the particles. The lighting (e.g., god rays and dynamic light, shadow on the smoke), the bouncing sparks, the smoke swirl, and other post processing effects helped to enforce that feel. ^_^

Using just "sprites" doesn't convey the amount of work put in to make the KZ2 world convincing.

EDIT: Incidentally I just checked what I can get that new Sammy 50+" 3D set for and, claiming back the tax, I'd have it for circa £1250. Hmm. I wonder if my gf would notice the change from 40" -> 50+"...

My strategy is to change my monitor first.

I will upgrade to a 3D + Internet TV after that. :p
The Internet TV is not cheap, I think.

Wasn't the smoke swirl just a texture animation? It's been a while, but I only ever saw it in that one level, where the ship flies through the smoke and it swirls. It didn't seem to be based in physics, in any way, as I never saw it in the rest of the game.

I think they are all animation, instead of physics based. The sparks are the only one that's calculated based on physics (and they can bounce from a dynamic object). Still, it doesn't detract from my point that Guerilla tweaked a lot of details to make a convincing world. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

You, patsu, are a brilliant strategist. :)

Ah, it goes deeper than that. :devilish:
I have already bought an iPad to soften my wife weeks ago. Next one is my own gift. ^_^

[size=-2]Anyone found a good 3D monitor, please PM me ! Or post in that 3D Gaming thread.[/size]

Aye, but that's the impression it gave me, "volumetric smoke". The experience is not just enforced by the particles. The lighting (e.g., god rays and dynamic light, shadow on the smoke), the bouncing sparks, the smoke swirl, and other post processing effects helped to enforce that feel. ^_^
And yet, they're not volumetric. Also, KZ2 doesn't have god rays.

Using just "sprites" doesn't convey the amount of work put in to make the KZ2 world convincing.
But that's what they are.

Sure, but I was talking about the overall effect. I can see the god rays in the warehouse level (through the roof and windows) although they may be baked in, I have no idea.

Now for the jetpack...

The jetpack design lacks the clean and sleek WW2 German war-machine theme (although still angular).

Here's the jetpack (Was told image is from KillZone Liberation):
normalhelghast2020jetpa.jpg

Here're some of the elegant and functional WW2 period German design that should have inspired the KZ3 design, IMHO:
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/aircraft/fighters/messerschmitt-me-163-komet.asp
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/aircraft/fighters/messerschmitt-me-262-photos.asp

In KZ2, the sleek war machines juxtapositioned with the slum to make an interesting picture and Helghast culture.

Now I don't know whether this level of "details" will be in KZ3.
[size=-2]The jetpack needs to be sleek in a dated way, not patchy or merely angular (without a purpose). I know GG makes Helghast machineries more angular, sharp and spikey to contrast with ISA weapons.

Also, how come no stabilizer for the jetpack ? ^_^[/size]

KZ2 doesn't has real God rays, although they do manage to give the illusion of the effect pretty well....best illusion I've seen till date in any game.

But I do believe (or atleast...feel) that the smokes & particles were volumetric & not just simple sprites.

They have been very careful in crafting the levels. In FFXIII, I walked past all the real god rays without even noticing them. In KZ2, I "saw the light" right about where I entered the level. And spent more time admiring and fighting with the AI in the warehouse.

The smoke effect is definitely very well done. I felt immersed in it.

If I understand this correctly, the poster found all infos in a gamepro article.
So, if we assume that he does not have access to the magazine weeks before its release (i.e. before E3) - KZ3 would be revealed in this gamepro article?!
That is why I asked about their E3 strategy? Maybe they have some other bombs ready, but they already ignite LBP2 and now KZ3D...

E3 is mid June, Sony should already know the magazine will come out before the event. Or is this the July issue ?

I shall get hold of a copy.

I can't help but feel a little sad for Sony....this would've been one of the Sony Megaton @ E3. (it still is but since most of the excitement was already spent over these leaked images its just a ton...no mega :| )

I can't help but feel a little sad for Sony....this would've been one of the Sony Megaton @ E3. (it still is but since most of the excitement was already spent over these leaked images its just a ton...no mega :| )

Ha ha, if this is an unintended leak, then they can only blame themselves. I think the fundamental problem for this E3 is they can't show the stereoscopic 3d effect to remote audience. Same for 3ds.

If they can tape the show in 3d for SonyStyle and retail stores, then it may be worthwhile. It is tempting to show brief trailers in anaglyph 3d though. Not sure if it will backfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back