Need Help Please

linthat22

Regular
Alright folks this is what I got:

Installed: 1 dvd burner and 1 blu-ray burner last night (both are SATA)

Booted up Windows 7 and it found them and installed the drivers for them. Now when I go to explorer, the drives do not show up.

I went into the device manager and I see the two drives under the hard drives and there's a letter associated with them, but the system doesn't recognize them in explorer.

Now the funky part, if I put a disc in the drive, the drive will show up in explorer.

I've hit as many websites as possible and nothing has solved my problem (example: the registry edit trick)

Any ideas?

Are you sure it hasn't just shrunk the "Devices" section when there is no disc in the drive?

what mode are they set to in the bios ?

They are set for IDE.

Malo, I made sure they weren't collapsed, because 3 programs on my computer that I use have told me that I do not have any CD-drives hooked up on my system.

Such a weird thing, I've never experienced before. My old DVD burner was an old IDE drive, I thought I was doing the right thing by getting a SATA DVD burner just for airflow in my case, sigh

Alright folks this is what I got:
Now the funky part, if I put a disc in the drive, the drive will show up in explorer.

Any ideas?
That seems to be the standard Win7 behavior (SATA drives may be seen as removable). Try going to the 'View' tab under 'Folder Options' and uncheck the 'Hide empty drives in the Computer folder' box.

That seems to be the standard Win7 behavior (SATA drives may be seen as removable). Try going to the 'View' tab under 'Folder Options' and uncheck the 'Hide empty drives in the Computer folder' box.

Great tip, but it's already unchecked.

It's funny that you said it seems to be standard with Windows 7, because my wife mentioned to me this evening our laptop does this. Talk about feeling like a retard.

Thank you all for the input on my non issue. I guess I'm struggling with some changes from XP to 7.

Sorry for the bother everyone :)

Ah, well. There may be some bugs with that functionality, or some other setting, software, service or whatnot impacting it. When I went to double check, I couldn't get mine to hide again (it did when the install was fresh).

Win7 has some annoying features enabled as standard. For example I couldn't understand why my audio almost disappeared as soon as me and my mate called each up over on skype to do some gaming.

Literally months (and much swearing over Skype for messing with my volume settings) later - by complete chance - I find an option in the windows audio control panel to disable this behavior.

Back