[360/PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops

What's wrong with Black Ops' multiplayer ?
I haven't played any CoD MP game (only briefly).

If so many people are playing. they must have done something right. I know some Gaffers don't like CoD.

There's nothing wrong with the multiplayer (atleast game breaking wrong), infact the new one fixes a lot of issues from previous games. MW2 was probably the most unbalanced of the lot but it was still fun to play cause of the tried & tested COD gameplay (which always works due to smooth & responsive controls). And then there's the social factor...for some reason COD games are a blast to play with friends.

Yeah, I'm thinking of trading in my old CoD4 for this one. It's sitting on my shelf collecting dust anyway.

This online is awesome so far.
Instead of the mw 2 spawn raping(on every map) so to say.
Here it stays quit right some spawn places are fucked but the kill streak except on Nuketown are okey.

The textures aren't as good but the levels look more polygonally complex. Seems like a simple tradeoff.

I hate to say it but the texture quality is due to lack of space on the DVD.
The disc is maxed out. There's like a meg or so left.

I really doubt it's a bug. Ask anyone what they saw people on their friends list playing, last night....

Yea doubt it was a bug. Brought my buddy and his group at gamestop pizza at 11:30 the night of launch for the midnight opening and the stacks of the 360 verison vs ps3 was easily 3-1 and the line was horrible it spread out both ways across the store and wrapped around. I know its hard to picture but the game stop is in the middle of 5 stores and then behind those stores is a stop and shop and a pathmark back to back and the line extended to the end of the stop and shop. So its quite a large line

I'll be able to check my friends list this evening. I don't remember a lot of people on my list playing previous CoD releases. Probably 4-5 at most. Games like GoW3 and U2 and LBP showed more, but it's not a good indication of sales anyway. Actually, NetFlix shows up pretty often on my friends list too.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...m-concurrent-players-on-live-140-000-on-steam

A tweet by Treyarch community manager Josh Olin revealed that just shy of one million gamers were shown as playing the game on Xbox Live yesterday.

Meanwhile, Steam stats reveal that a peak of 77,609 people were playing the PC version's multiplayer mode concurrently over the last day, and 64,267 its singleplayer. This is a significantly higher amount than those playing perennial Steam multiplayer hits such as Counter-Strike and Modern Warfare 2 over the same period.

None of these figures represent the game's total sales, as in both instances they reveal just the number of owners of the game playing at a given time, and in the 360's case just those online and logged into Live.

In addition, Black Ops' unlocking on Steam was delayed in a number of territories until 10AM EST (3PM UK time). Furthermore, no data for PS3 is available as yet.

well, it would be helpful for me if someone can tell me how the SP campaign is!?
what about the length of the game for first playthrough?

I am mainly interested in SP, so some comments are very appreciated!!

So that means at least in the US on X360 it's going to easily sell more than 1 million units. Wonder how close it'll come to Halo: Reach or combined X360/PS3 sales for MW2.

Still, 1 million+ units already just on X360 is pretty hefty. :) And yes, just in case someone notices, I know it was just shy of 1 million people playing online, I'm assuming some people might have been playing single player offline. :p

Regards,
SB

I'll be able to check my friends list this evening. I don't remember a lot of people on my list playing previous CoD releases. Probably 4-5 at most. Games like GoW3 and U2 and LBP showed more, but it's not a good indication of sales anyway. Actually, NetFlix shows up pretty often on my friends list too.

:LOL: Only 1 out of 14 active players. I'll wait some more. There should be more…

My local Gamestop is out of PS3 copies, with some 360 ones left (Store was allocated 30+ PS3 and 50+ Xbox copies). I saw a bunch of scary looking dudes got turned away because they didn't pre-order.

So is it safe to say they reach a technical wall on the ps3 therefore we can't expect much from there next game? I need to invest in PC gaming.

When I was on Live earlier today, every single person on my friends list was playing Call of Duty, including all of the people I normally play NHL with, except for Azbat. So my friends list was about 15-20 playing Call of Duty and 1 not. On top of that, most of them were in parties of people I don't know who were also playing.

I hate to say it but the texture quality is due to lack of space on the DVD.
The disc is maxed out. There's like a meg or so left.

Wow. I'm curious why the extra space on the BD wasn't used for higher quality textures on the PS3, given that you mentioned that the 360 was pushed in ways that the PS3 couldn't.

Isn't that kinda obvious, SG79? It's multiplatform. Lowest common denominator and all that.

Anyway, if Barbarian is indeed one of the devs I'll probably get the game. I like to support devs who hang out here (as long as their games aren't ass).

Isn't that kinda obvious, SG79? It's multiplatform. Lowest common denominator and all that.

It would be if the PS3 version wasn't running with some obvious performance issues, and lower res to boot. Check the tech forum where he mentioned a few bits about the game; parity wasn't intended apparently.

Fallout NV uses the extra space for example, but the 360 version still has some performance advantages over the PS3.

Its silly , why don't they just use 2 dvds on the 360. Put the single player on one dvd and the multiplayer on a second dvd

If you can say, how would you do differently to achieve better parity next time ?

Also what's the relative team size between the 2 platforms ? How much time did you have, and how much code do you share ?

Back