[360/PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops

I'll pass....I'm kinda tired of the COD formula. On the other hand, we haven't had a completely new Halo game in 3 years so Halo Reach it is for my multiplayer appetite.

Those are probably the best visuals I have ever seen in a console FPS game

They are great, that's for sure, but certainly not the best IMO.

Still wonder if that is still 60 fps or they just like insomniac drop the 60 fps and go for better graphics.

As much as I appreciate their push for 60fps (which is never rock solid 100% of the time), I do wish they would drop it down to 30fps. I can see them (or the old IW) making a game that rivals KZ2/3, Gears 3, Reach, or any other shooter considered to have top-tier graphics.

Respawn Entertainment might make a better engine, but that talent is no longer COD/MW bound. I'm certain any development studio under Activision is only tasked with milking the rest of life out of the Call-of-Duty and Modern-Warefare series. Activision won't allow for time to be wasted on improvements and certainly not on bug fixes.

Respawn Entertainment might make a better engine, but that talent is no longer COD/MW bound. I'm certain any development studio under Activision is only tasked with milking the rest of life out of the Call-of-Duty and Modern-Warefare series. Activision won't allow for time to be wasted on improvements and certainly not on bug fixes.

Well it's worked well for them so far, since each iteration of COD seems to sell better than the last. And now they are even claiming Black Ops, the lowly treyarch entry, is ahead of MW2's preorders.

Will they take the time to improve the engine after all these COD games. Get native 720p already!

Look at 640P or whatever as your tradeoff for 60 FPS, because thats what it is. I'm sure they could have 720P and more...at 30 FPS.

They are great, that's for sure, but certainly not the best IMO.

As much as I appreciate their push for 60fps (which is never rock solid 100% of the time), I do wish they would drop it down to 30fps. I can see them (or the old IW) making a game that rivals KZ2/3, Gears 3, Reach, or any other shooter considered to have top-tier graphics.

The attraction of COD to me atleast is the fast paced gameplay which favours skill over luck, drop to 30fps and it will be like every other shooter.

I've always been a fan of Treyarch COD games, I somehow felt they were a lot underrated just because people looked to them as the "B Team".

They are the B team. The amount of bugs in the treyarch games compared to IW is huge. IW gives you more polished games, and tbh i doubt the treyarch games would be anywhere near as good as they are, if it wheren't for the fact that they basically got updated engines etc from each IW installment.

It's always amusing to read stuff like that, when EA milks dry more franchises than Activision can ever hope to milk. And where is Respawn now? Oh yeah, EA. I'd imagine once Respawn releases a game that is popular, EA will start putting on the pressure to milk it.

I realize people like to have companies to throw in the doghouse, but really, pretty much all the publishing houses are the same. Only reason EA isn't as much in the public eye is because they've ground into dust most of their formerly very popular franchises already. They need new popular franchises to ground into dust. :) Plus the fact, their CEO at least knows how to keep his thoughts to himself. :D

Regards,
SB

SB, I completely agree with you, that EA doing the exact same thing, just look at ALL of their sport games. However with Activision, it didn't used to be that way, but it clearly is the case now on COD/MW franchise. It's already a dead franchise to my friends

@SB

Isn't Respawn using EA partner program EA only publish the game bbut has nothing to say over the devs.

Maybe, maybe not. We'll have to wait and see. But even the Battlefield series is getting some serious milking now days.

SB, I completely agree with you, that EA doing the exact same thing, just look at ALL of their sport games. However with Activision, it didn't used to be that way, but it clearly is the case now on COD/MW franchise. It's already a dead franchise to my friends

They've always done it, they've just had far less high profile titles than EA has had over the years. And prior to Kotick's investment group taking over the company in '92, they were well known for shovelware and on the brink of disappearing entirely.

Mechwarrior II was the first game that was a hit for them that they could milk. And milk it they did, until they lost the license to produce the games. Then there was the Tony Hawk games and then COD. It was mostly a lack of high profile games that kept them under the radar compared to EA and Eidos (Tomb Raider).

Regards,
SB

interesting :smile:

Treyarch is going to use Theater mode to determine if people are cheating/ boosting in Black Ops. There will be an in game report button on everyone. You hit that button on the specific person, it gets sent to Treyarch linked to the full match video. They review the player and if they think he/she is cheating/boosting, they'll get banned. Not bad.

http://twitter.com/JD_2020

He has replies to a whole bunch of people on this topic.

They're so going to be overwhelmed by that. They'll need to have a staff ratio of 1 reviewer per 10 matches played if CoD:BO is anything like MW2.

Its not a bad idea at all, but you know how the online crowd is...pointlessly accusing people just cause someone plays better than them.

Can't boosting be detected by automatic means? If guy A headshots guy B 30 times in a row + they are using tactical insertion you can be pretty sure something's going on.

I didn't care about the boosting.

I cared about the obviously broken game items such as map glitch hacks (elevators, glitched through geometry, players out of bounds, teleporting claymores) and hacking of the general game settings (speed boosting, damage boosting, care package changes like NUKES in them) and general all around game code failures like infinite care packages, commando tac-knife from all the way across the map, and numerous other failures that plagued the games but I've since forgotten. These are easily fixed if the developer/publisher had any pride in their work, as it comes naturally with attention to detail and quality. Instead the publisher is horribly greedy and refocuses resources on milking out of the franchise with additional buggy map packs and the next game in the series.

How about instead of focusing solely on dishing out punishment they simply fix their piece of shit games?

How about instead of focusing solely on dishing out punishment they simply fix their piece of shit games?

Not to play devil's advocate but, why should they bother? MW2 is the buggiest game I've played on the PS3 yet it sold like hot cakes. Doesn't seem to me that the game being buggy as hell prevented any sales.

The only reason why is to feed into their egos more than their bank accounts in the short term. They should take pride in providing a bug-free and positive gaming experience. They should feel ashamed in providing an extremely buggy and negative gaming experience.

Of course we know money trumps pride in the immediate future. So we need to look elsewhere...

If they look at the long term payoffs instead of immediate short term payoffs they will realize that given enough time their buggy pile of ooze will be realized for what it is. That will have extremely detrimental effects on their future efforts to obtain money. In the future consumers will have realized they milked a franchise to much that the consumers will not be purchasing their products. To counter that, all they need to do is provide a quality product. Quality products will keep the consumers coming back for more.

Back