E3 2010: Pre-Conference Discussion & Predictions

Neither does 360 really. Both are doing pretty well.

The one area hurting them (sony.ms) is hardware losses, which probably currently the hardware is profitable, but the "problem" is competition. One will slash prices and force the other to follow.

The xbox will be entering it's sixth year upon Natals release so i disagree on that. With the Blu-Ray factor becoming increasingly significant and the PS3 able to do proper 3D Games/movies plus motion control I'd hazard a guess it's only just starting to build up a head of steam. It's got all the up to date tech to keep it relevent in the next few years. In terms of pricecuts. 2 years ago things such as Blu-Ray were a bit of a meh to most people but now it's becoming a big value added bullet point.

Not to be outdone, they will bring a circus to their show too. Now kicking out games to pre-E3...

Ringling Brothers! None of that cheese-eating surrender-monkey garbage!

Oh, and Sony says those videos are fake. Probably just demo ads made by a marketing firm to show potential clients, like all those "banned from TV!" ads you see on YouTube that aren't actually authorized by the brands they portray.

So, can someone exaplain me Sony's strategy?

First LBP2 reveal, then Kz3D reveal, now Infamous 2 reveal...first screens of MS3 surfacing!

How long does the Sony conference "new games section" last...2 minutes? I don't understand their strategy, what else do they show at E3?

Could this be a sign that they completely focus on Move and 3D gaming?
This would be ultra lame...

Well, it's probably pretty hard to keep stuff a secret.

The xbox will be entering it's sixth year upon Natals release so i disagree on that. With the Blu-Ray factor becoming increasingly significant and the PS3 able to do proper 3D Games/movies plus motion control I'd hazard a guess it's only just starting to build up a head of steam. It's got all the up to date tech to keep it relevent in the next few years. In terms of pricecuts. 2 years ago things such as Blu-Ray were a bit of a meh to most people but now it's becoming a big value added bullet point.

How is the Blu Ray factor becoming increasingly significant if movie disc sales are dying and stand alone Blu Ray players are rapidly reaching mass market pricing of $99 and below? It's actually becoming less significant, just as happened with PS2 and DVD. Except the PS2 DVD didn't have to deal with another front of digital downloads encroaching on it.

PS3 is only one year newer than X360...so if X360 is entering year six PS3 will be entering year 5.

3D games is still unproven at best (many reports seem mixed on the experience itself at best), most people dont have 3D tv's, hell we constantly hear how low HDTV adoption is (something I dont actually believe) let alone $3k 3D Tv's..3D is a great unproven.

360 has motion control too, arguably with advantages (aka, no wand). So does Wii.

Sure PS3's future looks bright judging by Sony's 15 million ship projection this year, but counting 360 as dead is foolish. 360 has proven with games like Reach, Gears 3, Crysis 2 etc that it also has plenty of graphical punch left.

I'm only posting this as...

a) It's covered on MCV
and...
b) It's a Lazard's analyst (and I don't often see them commenting on gaming)

Suggestion of PSN being a big focus of this E3 and then some unsourced speculation on DD for the PS3.

:|

That would be huge...

Too bad it's an analyst, so almost by default untrue :LOL:

Ringling Brothers! None of that cheese-eating surrender-monkey garbage!

Oh, and Sony says those videos are fake. Probably just demo ads made by a marketing firm to show potential clients, like all those "banned from TV!" ads you see on YouTube that aren't actually authorized by the brands they portray.

IMHO, the second "fake ad" piques a gamer's interest in 3DTV more than the official Sony 3DTV ad targeted at everyone, or rather soccer fans:

EDIT:
How is the Blu Ray factor becoming increasingly significant if movie disc sales are dying and stand alone Blu Ray players are rapidly reaching mass market pricing of $99 and below? It's actually becoming less significant, just as happened with PS2 and DVD. Except the PS2 DVD didn't have to deal with another front of digital downloads encroaching on it.

Because $99 BR players may not be suitable for everyone since they lack features and performance. Sony will drop their price also. Fundamentally, Blu-ray has a software stack, so they can keep stacking new features on top. Managed Copy and 3D Blu-ray will come next. There are some shortcomings (e.g., consumes more power), but PS3 is the only one that is most versatile.

That's not actually a 3D image. At least the end certainly isn't. Rather than stereoscopic left/right views of the goal shrapnel, it's a time-offset blend. You can see the doubling is vertical with the pieces moving vertically.

EA's Lineup. Mild interest in Medal of Honor. That's it for me.

Bulletstorm
Crysis 2
Dead Space 2
Medal of Honour
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
RISK: Factions
The Sims 3 for console and handheld
The Sims 3 Ambitions
Spare Parts
EA Sports Active 2
EA Sports MMA
FIFA Soccer 11
Hasbro Family Game Night 3
Madden 11
Monopoly Streets
MySims SkyHeroes
NBA Elite 11
NBA Jam
NCAA Football 11
NHL 11
NHL Slapshot
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

Woah, they kept Woods name. I was pretty sure they would have gone with someone else after the guy was metaphorically lynched for cheating on his wife tens of times.

MOH has potential. We'll see if it can match BF:BC2 and COD.

EA's Lineup. Mild interest in Medal of Honor. That's it for me.

Bulletstorm
Crysis 2
Dead Space 2
Medal of Honour
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
RISK: Factions
The Sims 3 for console and handheld
The Sims 3 Ambitions
Spare Parts
EA Sports Active 2
EA Sports MMA
FIFA Soccer 11
Hasbro Family Game Night 3
Madden 11
Monopoly Streets
MySims SkyHeroes
NBA Elite 11
NBA Jam
NCAA Football 11
NHL 11
NHL Slapshot
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11

Crysis 2 and Bulletstorm for me... maybe even a lil Medal of Honor.

That said as I understand it, if companies have anything secret it wont be on these lists anyway.

So wi-fi, 250 GB, Natal, and Slim in lieu of price drop? :/

Anyways, a slim certainly wont be announced at E3, unless it's nearly ready.

Heh heh, that's what I call a Blitz. :D

The desired effect is you'll see Natal everywhere you turn to (There is no escape). This is the American style of large scale consumer marketing.

EDIT: The big one is probably reserved for fall.

Heh heh, that's what I call a Blitz. :D

The desired effect is you'll see Natal everywhere you turn to (There is no escape). This is the American style of large scale consumer marketing.

EDIT: The big one is probably reserved for fall.

So slim at Tokyo game show as a way to spark some more interest from the Japanese crowd. From what i heard they like smaller editions of electronics.

*shrug* No idea. They probably stand to gain there the most. I thought there's supposed to be a European show somewhere. Is it over this year already ?

From the grapevine, it sounds like Natal can help to do mocap for the end users rather proficiently too. So yeah, while a 2D camera can perform some or most of the object recognition, MS will focus on activities that a depth camera will excel in.

Similarly, Sony will try to stand out by combining the 2D cam with the Move controller.

Back