E3 2010: Pre-Conference Discussion & Predictions

Thanks.

You got a pass to be there? I thought you left the game business...

Yup I'm out of the game biz. Yup I got a pass to be there :) Should be fun, it's a great place to meet up with old friends. If I get any free codes for betas or whatever I'll pass them along here.

I am very excited about this year's E3. I haven't been genuinely interested about the E3 in the last.... 30 years of my life! Meaning that I am fine with the E3 but I was never ever hyped.

This year is totally different. I'm very excited about the new motion controls and the Nintendo 3DS.

Microsoft - Wave sounds extremely exciting and I'm glad they are doing a splendid job holding the surprises for people. I wonder what new ideas they can come up with. The voice recognition thing is very interesting in theory. Also if it helps increasing the life cycle of the console it will be a total success.

Nintendo - 3DS seems really mighty, and they may have another winner in their hands. It will be the cheaper way to enjoy 3D graphics, plus Nintendo handheld = outstanding. It could be a bargain taking into account what enjoying 3D (TV + glasses + console) can cost these days. Nintendo are very smart and they always explore new ways to play.

Sony - Move is really interesting too, combined with the use of EyeToy plus the buttons, it has a lot of different possibilities. It would be great if they showed some details about the PSP2, which could be the ultimate Sony handheld after what they learnt from the PSP. I wonder if they will add voice recognition to Move over time, it would be nice if they do. Something like saying "Playstation on" and the PS3 switchs on automatically, or "Move on" :eek:, to the same effect. Also other voice commands like "Switch off", "PSN games"..., etc, geek.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/08/sonys-playview-trademark-piques-our-curiosity/

Sony Computer Entertainment filed a Playview trademark application and this doesn’t look like this is for a video game. Unlike other Sony filed trademarks, this was registered for more than video game software.

Playview can be used for a portable electronic device for receiving and reading text, an online e-book store, and electronic publishing over the Internet.

One other interesting quirk about the trademark is it can be used for retail services with respect to video games and providing information about computer games.

There are some Valve rumors going from Half Life 3 to Duke Nukem Forever (!) but they're probably all wrong.

Woulda be nice to get a cool and inventive new single player game from them though. There's well enough left in the current console generation for one big release; if they wait for next gen, it'd take another 3-5 years...

Valve going to PS3 is inevitable. It's sold too much hardware. Of course, Gabe himself lauding PS3's architecture is unlikely.

One thing I dont know if people care but, Ninja Theory is now deving a new Devil May Cry game for Capcom. That should be at E3.

A lot of people thought Resident Evil was going to a western developer based on rumors but nah, the western dev is NT and the franchise is DMC.

One thing I dont know if people care but, Ninja Theory is now deving a new Devil May Cry game for Capcom. That should be at E3.

A lot of people thought Resident Evil was going to a western developer based on rumors but nah, the western dev is NT and the franchise is DMC.

I'd heard the rumours but I take it that's been confirmed now? NT doing DMC and Enslaved? Interesting.

Only announcement which would be interesting is next-gen. But they're going to try to buy time with this motion stuff, which hopefully flames out quickly enough for Sony and MS to snap to their senses.

Economy seemed to be set to recover, helping games and console sales (which were down this past year). But then the Greece crisis hit and PIIGS to follow.

Price cut would spur sales way more than motion at this point.

The PS3 doesnt need to buy time. It's likely entering it's peak sales in the next 2 or 3 years. Blu-Ray will also ensure it stays a relevent console for a long time.

The PS3 doesnt need to buy time. It's likely entering it's peak sales in the next 2 or 3 years. Blu-Ray will also ensure it stays a relevent console for a long time.

Neither does 360 really. Both are doing pretty well.

The one area hurting them (sony.ms) is hardware losses, which probably currently the hardware is profitable, but the "problem" is competition. One will slash prices and force the other to follow.

I'm only posting this as...

a) It's covered on MCV
and...
b) It's a Lazard's analyst (and I don't often see them commenting on gaming)

Suggestion of PSN being a big focus of this E3 and then some unsourced speculation on DD for the PS3.

:|

The first one is creepy. The second one is great. I :love: it.

Nonetheless introducing 3DTV will alienate many users even though Sony needs the time to ramp up. It's yet another risky move by Sony. Still hoping someone makes good 3D monitors because I think there will be unusually high demand.

In fact, I think TV watching is evolving at the same time. Besides people watching less TV and time shifting TV programs, some may also want a portable/private TV experience like iPad. I bought the damn thing a month or two ago. Now my wife watch it every day on her bed before she sleeps. My kid wants to see it on the night stand (showing alarm clock) before he sleeps too. My friends (both wife and hubby) also watch different TV channels on their bed now.

May be if Sony can release a wlreless 3D TV/monitor with controllers (PSP2 ?), then playing 3D PS3 game there may be more interesting. It can be autostereoscopic 3D too (i.e., no glasses needed).

I have always doubted that people want a portable PS3 experience (Then again, they may prefer a _private_ PS3 experience). Still chewing on the idea. Don't know if the screen is too small.

In any case, I want a solid 3D monitor, not 3DTV, at the moment.

So, can someone exaplain me Sony's strategy?

First LBP2 reveal, then Kz3D reveal, now Infamous 2 reveal...first screens of MS3 surfacing!

How long does the Sony conference "new games section" last...2 minutes? I don't understand their strategy, what else do they show at E3?

Could this be a sign that they completely focus on Move and 3D gaming?
This would be ultra lame...

Neither does 360 really. Both are doing pretty well.

The one area hurting them (sony.ms) is hardware losses, which probably currently the hardware is profitable, but the "problem" is competition. One will slash prices and force the other to follow.

Sales were down last year and sales are expected to be down this year as well.

Then again, supposedly PS3 Slim bundles are in short supply at many retailers right now.

Maybe new SKUs are coming and/or a price drop.

Back