Using Drive compression

Davros

Legend
using windows built in drive compression on a games drive. Just wondered what peoples thoughts on this were ?

Since 2TB drives are under $100 now, there's no need for drive-compression for games especially when most of the assets are compressed.

It reduces disk performance and increases overhead, complexity and power consumption as well. Not sure how well file system repair tools handle compressed volumes as well. It's a needless complication in today's world of large, cheap storage.

I do have another 1tb drive its currently a backup of the sacred terrabyte
ive also got a hdd caddy

being esata I can just hook it up to any future pc and have instant goodness and I like that fact ;)

Drive compression needs to die. I can't believe this feature still exists.
Nah, its quite good for folders full of textfiles, shaves off hearly the half of their size. Wouldnt use it on anything else though, especially games which have most of their assets compressed anyway

Depends, all my raw source code (in various languages) compress fantastically -- and I've got tons of that stuff laying around. Compression isn't something you should just turn on for everything, and games are probably a bad idea as a target for additional compression. But most of my source code is compressed, as are the folders that contain my various virtual machines, and the ones that contain a bunch of my raw-format pictures from my camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Unreal Engine map format compresses so well it reminds me of text files. At least through UE2.

Back