V (The 1980's remake) is pretty good, anyone else watching it?

draconian

Newcomer
I just finished watching the latest episode - you can watch on Tues at 10pm on ABC or via their website. They are currently close to ending season 1 with 12 episodes. You do have to suspend your beliefs about the whole idea that reptilian Visitors can hide behind one inch of skin and still appear human but the cat and mouse game between the Vs and the Anti-Vs is pretty good.

I never saw the original V, so I can't compare to it.

Yes indeed, it's on my DVR record list and watch it every weekend. For us that grew up with the original V series (they re-played it all several times lately on cable btw), it's definitely nostalgic. The new version is very much improved, and not just the acting and sfx of course. Thank god Anna doesn't have the same hair style as the original female V protagonist!

The whole concept is pretty much identical to the original as far as the V's plans go. And the original also had a cross-breed who ended up with telekinetic and telepathic powers. Who knows what they will do with the child in this one.

Oh and here's a classic episode fight that really shows the 80's style :)

I'm watching this with my GF but am usually a week or two behind the current episode as we tend to watch via the DVR when we have time. A little cheesy as most sci fi's tend to be but one of the few shows on tv now I find worth watching.

Malo, thanks for that link.

I only remember a few glimpses of the old series. But watching some of these old clips tells me I didn't really miss much - acting wasn't too great, sfx was horrible.... how did people watch TV back then?

Here is the birthing scene for those that care,

I really enjoy this remakes and I hope more people will start watching. Last nights rating came in at 6.5 million, which isn't super low but certainly on that border of possibly being canceled I think.

I certainly wish more people would watch as well. I can't believe people are so stupid to rather watch American WannaBe or Dancing with the HasBeens or other similar stupid shows instead.

I thought it was kinda cheesy but you guys inspired me to continue to watch and let the series soak me in. I'll load up with a cheese toast and a glass of hot choco milk.

I watched the original series religiously as a teenager. The first short series (five episodes or so?) was pretty good, though the longer follow-on got a bit silly at times if I recall correctly.

Meh, don't really care for it. Some what of a fan of the original. CG backdrops are terrible. Acting so-so.

Erm its not too bad. Its sort of on the edge between good and bad for me. If it gets any better I'll watch it more consistantly but if it gets worse I'll drop it entirely. Im getting edgy about watching shows like this in the first season as it really bugs me to get into a show and have it cancelled. Usually I wait for the 2nd season but im pretty starved for Sci-Fi ATM.

Does anyone know please please please if theres a new Star Trek series coming up??! Im kind of getting edgy without my fix of Star Trek... :(

...sfx was horrible.... how did people watch TV back then?

You can say the same for 3D graphics. How did we play games back in the days when all we had was 256 colors, 320x200 and sprites? (picked a stage of PC's randomly) It's the best we had at the time. I can pick many moments during my life as a PC gamer (starting with an XT w/CGA) where I've said "wow, look at the graphics!" which in comparison with todays standards is very laughable.

Meh, don't really care for it. Some what of a fan of the original. CG backdrops are terrible. Acting so-so.

Yeah the CG backdrops are pretty bad in the ships.

Does anyone know please please please if theres a new Star Trek series coming up??! Im kind of getting edgy without my fix of Star Trek... :(

They need to do a Star Trek anthology. Or have it take place in a non-federation ship. Maybe even based on a romulan ship with a progressive crew who start questioning the practices of the romulan empire. The crew could start off as any other romulan citizen with blind loyalty to the empire and through a series of events they change or at least a part of the crew changes. Maybe even a secret love could develop between the romulan captain and a vulcan woman. The series finale ends with the revolution of the romulan empire.

They need to do a Star Trek anthology. Or have it take place in a non-federation ship. Maybe even based on a romulan ship with a progressive crew who start questioning the practices of the romulan empire. The crew could start off as any other romulan citizen with blind loyalty to the empire and through a series of events they change or at least a part of the crew changes. Maybe even a secret love could develop between the romulan captain and a vulcan woman. The series finale ends with the revolution of the romulan empire.

It has to start by being interesting to the viewers and developing an emotional attachment though.

I spent my teenage years in the 80s, "V" was a big part of that whole experience for me (along with many other things now considered corny, freaky or bizarre (like, dudes wearing tight jeans with high waistlines...ahem).

Seeing as I hold a certain amount of nostalgia for that old series, I'm not so sure I'd want to watch a re-make of it. I know it exists, but I've not made any attempts to check it out yet. Who knows, maybe in the future I'll change my mind.

Back