[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

Noooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That leaves just 2 must buys for me this year. Versus 10 or so early next year, half of which who were originally set for release this year.

Yeah there are some bugs that cause the beta to crash, but most of it is just small issues that only happen in create mode. I was expecting business as usual. Fix the big problems, smaller problems as much as you can, disable stuff that you can't fix and patch it back in later. You know, like LBP1.

Kudo's to them for choosing to do it the right way. But why didn't this happen before? I know MAG could have hugely benefited from a month of extra development time.

Anyway, I hope this also give them enough time include many of the better suggestions the beta testers have been making. The beta forums are very active when it comes to reporting bugs and suggesting improvements to the game.

Noooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

That leaves just 2 must buys for me this year. Versus 10 or so early next year, half of which who were originally set for release this year.

Yeah there are some bugs that cause the beta to crash, but most of it is just small issues that only happen in create mode. I was expecting business as usual. Fix the big problems, smaller problems as much as you can, disable stuff that you can't fix and patch it back in later. You know, like LBP1.

Kudo's to them for choosing to do it the right way. But why didn't this happen before? I know MAG could have hugely benefited from a month of extra development time.

Anyway, I hope this also give them enough time include many of the better suggestions the beta testers have been making. The beta forums are very active when it comes to reporting bugs and suggesting improvements to the game.

What's coming out early next year ?

I wonder if anyone will remake this game in LBP2...

I have a feeling however this might be too challenging even for LBP2 to pull off:

http://kotaku.com/5654022/littlebigplanet-2-to-include-10+level-move-demo

LittleBigPlanet 2 will have a multilevel PlayStation Move enabled demo, but full support won't be added until after the game arrives in January, Eurogamer reports.

James Spafford, the community manager for the game's studio, Media Molecule, said an extra game - "possibly on another disc, maybe on the same disc" - will be included with LB2, containing roughly 10 levels that will demonstrate the game's Move support.

"And shortly after release we'll do a full DLC pack that's purely Move, and we'll give away the free controls so people can make their own Move levels as well," Spafford told Eurogamer.

:love: :love:

Just thought I'd mention that the logic is proving more versatile than I thought at first thanks to quirks. I don't know if these quirks are by design or not, but still, they're there! Most importantly, what MM call the "direction combiner" is actually a positive/negative combiner, which solves the issue I had with not being able to decrement things. Signals generated from components like timer switches or the On/Off toggle are typically binary, either 1 for on or 0 for off. Some can be set to range from 0.0 to 1.0. But none allows a -1 output. Hence every signal into a counter, for example, increments it, or does nothing.

However, the magic of the Direction Combiner allows you to negate an input signal. Just run whatever input you want through the Direction Combiner's negative input, and the same value negated is passed out. This means I can take a 1 value from a switch, turn it into -1 and enter it into a Counter to decrement it! (woohoo) The fact you can run multiple inputs into the same component means you can have increment and decrement logic to adjust a counter. Examples of usefulness are ammo, decrementing as shot and recharging with a pickup; or an oscillating movement with two timers, one for positive, one for negative, each controlling the other's direction and their output contributing to positive and negative motion thanks to the Direction Combiner.

What this really means is, cool stuff can be more cool with less effort. :D

Mouse and Keyboard support may not be available at launch:
http://forums.littlebigworkshop.com...g-concerned/m-p/294898/highlight/true#M153602

Heya - this feature won't be in the game at launch, we've pulled it back so we can make sure it works really well - we had it working, but it needed a lot of tweaking and testing, and because we have a lot of other stuff to do it's gone tothe bottom of the list - it will get some attention though some time...

all of our designers prefer using the dualshock, and there are lots of awesome enhancements to create mode that make it a lot easier and faster now

It sounds like a low priority item. We may not see it in Feb. May be together with the Move patch ?

Just thought I'd mention that the logic is proving more versatile than I thought at first thanks to quirks. I don't know if these quirks are by design or not, but still, they're there! Most importantly, what MM call the "direction combiner" is actually a positive/negative combiner, which solves the issue I had with not being able to decrement things. Signals generated from components like timer switches or the On/Off toggle are typically binary, either 1 for on or 0 for off. Some can be set to range from 0.0 to 1.0. But none allows a -1 output. Hence every signal into a counter, for example, increments it, or does nothing.

What this really means is, cool stuff can be more cool with less effort. :D

I only found this out yesterday aswell. Someone put it in a tutorial level that you could copy for yourself.

There is probably more stuff like this, only the beta doesn't explain how to do it. The full game will probably explain such things in the tools specific tutorials.

It does make creating stuff in the beta a bit difficult though. You never know why if something isn't working as you would expect, it's either because of bugs, or using the wrong tools or settings, or what you want simply isn't available. Of course you can hardly hold that against it. It's a beta after all.

I've sort of put making levels on hold for now. It takes too long, and it's going to be deleted anyway. Instead I look more at what others have been making. And only trying out small stuff in create mode.

Media Molecule’s Evans: LBP2 delayed because not all PS3s are connected:
http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/05/med...2-delayed-because-not-all-ps3s-are-connected/

Media Molecule head Alex Evans has told VG247’s Joe Anderson that LittleBigPlanet 2 was delayed into 2011 because not all PS3s are connected to the internet and capable of receiving a patch.

“Like LittleBigPlanet, we will be supporting the game with patches, updates and whatever, but you have to realise right from the beginning that there are those people who don’t have online and that is why we decided it was the right decision to delay the game,” Evans said, speaking to Anderson at EG Expo last weekend.

The developer added: “In the end, the main reason for it though was just that we played the game and in the end realised that we had to make the Blu-ray perfect, and I don’t mean 100 percent perfect, but I just mean something we are proud of.

“We respect people don’t have online and don’t want to patch their game to get the full experience. We could have shipped it and it would have been fine, however we realised that with just a couple of extra week’s we could make the game super amazing, adding the super onto the already amazing which exists today. This is something that will live forever and the delay, people will forget about.

It does make creating stuff in the beta a bit difficult though. You never know why if something isn't working as you would expect, it's either because of bugs, or using the wrong tools or settings, or what you want simply isn't available. Of course you can hardly hold that against it. It's a beta after all.
Yeah, some stuff leaves you scratching your head. I added a joystick mover to an object and it wasn't working at all as it should. So I copied an existing object of mine with it. I'm guessing it matters which way your object is facing when it's added, but who knows?!

I've sort of put making levels on hold for now. It takes too long, and it's going to be deleted anyway. Instead I look more at what others have been making. And only trying out small stuff in create mode.
The time it takes to make anything worthwhile is extraordinary! I'm toying at the moment, trying tech to see if I could make a Paradroid type game etc. I'm working on a horizontal shooter that'll play as a proper horizontal shooter just to show you can, as opposed to a lot of protoypes people are trying which leave some people questioning what's really possible. Although I'm telling myself to reign in the ideas because all taht work will get deleted, so a couple of different pickups will suffice. Now I've cracked the scrolling scenery problem, I can do a proper level akin to Project X. Although managing the bounding space so the player object can't leave it is a bit tricky...

Yeah, some stuff leaves you scratching your head. I added a joystick mover to an object and it wasn't working at all as it should. So I copied an existing object of mine with it. I'm guessing it matters which way your object is facing when it's added, but who knows?!

The movers are indeed affect by placement. Rotating them will also rotate their movements. By default they are always facing upwards. So you'll want make sure whatever you attach them to is facing in the correct direction. The easiest way is to use the grid because you can turn any object at 90 degrees angles with it.

Yeah. Oh, and for those who don't know, they've added a lock-to for rotation too, so you can rotate to multiples of 5 degrees. Very nice!

Here are some more tips from the beta forums.

You're all getting on really well, but here's some basic knowledge and info you might find helpful in LBP2.

Some New controls in Create mode

L1/L2 - When you have your Popit cursor a material it will hide or unhide that layer. Perfect for seeing behind things!
R1 - If you tap R1 when your Popit cursor is over a Sackbot/Controlinator/Microchip or Music Sequencer, this will show or hide it's circuit board.
R3 - Clicking the right thumb stick will get your sackboy out of the controlinator seat when in create mode.
L3 - Click the left thumb stick will open full screen Popit view if you are already in Popit (full screen mode does have some display issues but it works)

Help!

Top tip: Remember that tapping Square over an item in Popit to bring up a brief explanation about what it does - super handy for noobs!

Basic Electronics

Each electronics item has various inputs, outputs and settings. But nearly all of them follow a simple design: inputs on the left, outputs on the right and resets on the bottom.

One exception would be the advanced mover, where the left input is left/right, the bottom input is up/down.

How to Remote Control a Sackbot

Place a Controlinator in the scene
Place another one inside a Sackbot's brain circuit
Set the Controlinator inside the Sackbot to be a remote control receiver
Set the Controlinator outside the brain to be a remote control transmitter
Now you are done!
There are many ways to make a camera follow a Sackbot - one way is to place a movie camera on to a Sackbot and then connect the ACTIVE output of the Controlinator (it's the ON/OFF icon on the DualShock circuit) to the cameras input. This will turn the camera on when the seat is active.

Using a follower with a game camera on holographic material could also achieve this.

Star Menu

The new star item in Popit lists everything you have already used in your level. It's a good place to quickly look up things you want to use again. Great for artists looking for a consistent look in their levels by using a palette of set materials, stickers and decorations

The Music Sequencer

The music sequencer can be found in the music section of the tools bag, towards the bottom. Place down a music sequencer object and you will notice a timeline appear like a circuit board above. The sequencer object can have it's global settings tweaked as you'd expect. When the sequencer plays through (either by being triggered or having an input connected to the left of it) it will play through the complete length of the timeline.

Placing notes - On the timeline, you place different sounds from the sequencer instruments section in Popit. Tweaking them will bring up a musical scale and timeline consisting of 4 bars. Depending on your instrument, placing notes will create different sounds. Piano for example, will produce a straight scale low to high, whereas percussion will still produce different notes but may also change instruments as you go from low to high.
Thermometer - When editing in the music sequencer, you'll notice the thermometer go from red to blue - The blue thermo is the individual capactity for the current music sequencer you are editing. Each different instrument will load a whole bunch of audio assets and load too many of these and you'll overheat. Really great songs can be made with just 2 or 3 samples so there is plenty of space.
Advanced - Whilst editing a note, use the R1 and L1 buttons to change a notes length, and drag the right stick left/right to change the timbre, or up and up/down to change the volume. Once you've placed a note, you can drag select by holding down X. When you have selected notes, you can copy/paste like in you can in regular popit using L3, R3 to flip, use the right stick to modify further. Pressing square whilst placing notes will bring up a whole host of advanced options.
Not just music - You can trigger events from the timeline much like a timeline in a piece of software. If you want to trigger something - a simple way is to place a battery on the timeline, and hook it up to something in the level. When the timeline reaches the point at which the battery has been placed, it will turn the battery on, sending a signal output. You can change the length of a placed battery by pushing the right stick up and down. If you want to use the sequencer as just a timeline, then you'll want to use the sequencer object from the Gadgets section of the toolbag.

What is light matter?

Dark matter that is light! Both dark and light matter can be tweaked now too.

Why are some items appearing twice in Popit?

Some items are duplicated at the moment, duplicates will be removed.

What is holographic material?

It's a material that can pass through other materials - it has no physical properties and it can be tweaked! Select it, tweak it and you'll see the options. You can still stick things to it and place decorations on it. It's properties allow you to create custom UI elements.

Can you make the Creatinator put out fire?

That's an easy one!

Place a Creatinator
Place a piece of material
Place a danger tweaker on the material, set it to inverted
Place an projectile sensor on the material and set the number of times you want it to detect hits
Connect the projectile sensor to the danger trigger
Done!

Group Emitting

Another new thing in LBP2 - group emitting - for when you want to tweak a bunch of the same things at once. Simply select all the items and hit square to tweak. Works well for adding random costumes to a bunch of sackbots!

Better Emitters

Emitters (and the Creatinator) have the ability to emit any object you like. In LB1, you had to create your object, capture it and then emit it. BUT in LBP2 when selecting your object to emit, you can now choose the 'pick emitted object' option at the top to choose something on the level to emit, instead of having to capture and save as an object.
What's more - you can edit and update the object being emitted in real time!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...te-bounce-pads-lbp-bloggies-lbp2-beta-update/

Talks about…

* Bounce Pads

* Kindred levels created by the user community for PSP

* LBP Bloggies

* LBP2 beta for PSN+ members and others:

the 2nd phase of our online beta will be ready next week. This phase will be a small phase, with invites going to a special mix of LBP contributors, DLC owners and PlayStation Plus members, so be on the lookout for an e-mail soon with your beta code. Don’t worry: there are more beta phases in the works, so if you don’t get in next week, we’ll keep you posted on following phases.

Back