[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

The timing seems off for a delay to happen now. Just this week the gaming press was allowed to share their impressions from the beta, and the beta testers are also allowed to do it. If there really is a reason for a delay that probably wouldn't have happened. Yes the beta has bugs, but that's to be expected.

Would you say the bugs are on the creation side or the gameplay side? I think you can still go to press with a less than perfect creation side, just be open about whast you plan to fix and creators will plan for it, wait, or come up with a work around.

That is amazing! I wonder if it's using nested emmitters, something LBP1 had trouble with?

I'm also interested to know what the "bugs" are, specifically.
Oh, please. Bugs, in quotion marks, because we've got no idea what bugs are and they're actually intended design features.

Putting down objects with bolts on them binds them to objects behind and they can't be separated.
2D camera has corrupted graphics.
2D camera zooms out to the whole level at start of play so you can't see anything.
Collision geometry not being destroyed when the visible geometry is destroyed, so you run into invisible objects.
Changing your sackbot's costume causes the PS3 to freeze requiring a reset.
Even a design issue with one level where if you die, the respawn gate has no Grabbinator so you can't get past a a hazard and have to restart the level.

And yes, SB spontaneously jumping a quarter of a second after landing in low-G levels is a bug.

Delay confirmed until January. TBH that's probably good for me. This game can be a huge time-sink and I'll probably have less demands by then and more room to fit it in comfortably without something else giving way. Missing Christmas is a blow though.

I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed that I won't be able to play it, or that I lost a really easy holiday gift for my nephew. :p

Oh, please. Bugs, in quotion marks, because we've got no idea what bugs are and they're actually intended design features.

Putting down objects with bolts on them binds them to objects behind and they can't be separated.
2D camera has corrupted graphics.
2D camera zooms out to the whole level at start of play so you can't see anything.
Collision geometry not being destroyed when the visible geometry is destroyed, so you run into invisible objects.
Changing your sackbot's costume causes the PS3 to freeze requiring a reset.
Even a design issue with one level where if you die, the respawn gate has no Grabbinator so you can't get past a a hazard and have to restart the level.

And yes, SB spontaneously jumping a quarter of a second after landing in low-G levels is a bug.

The bugs were in quotes because I didn't know if you were talking about physics issues, or actual performance issues, which there clearly seems to be.

For the jump, does it happen instantly after for a quarter of a second, or is it a quarter of a second after he landed?

what is a bit surprising is that this isn't something they can launch and work on patches for - everyone surely understands LBP2 will have some bugs...it's inevitable on such an open product

The bugs were in quotes because I didn't know if you were talking about physics issues, or actual performance issues, which there clearly seems to be.
I wouldn't generally call physics issues bugs, except stuff like the self-destroying geometry which still exists.
For the jump, does it happen instantly after for a quarter of a second, or is it a quarter of a second after he landed?
In zero G, press the jump button, and then put the control down. SB leaps about...40" into the air, if he's 4" high. He falls gently to earth and lands, and stands still. A quarter of a second of standing still later he jumps a good 4" up again. This time delay and jump height of the second jump decreases with increasing gravity, suggesting this second jump is always present. If so, and SB always leaves the ground after landing, that'd explain some control issues, but I've decided that isn't happening; at least the second jump isn't causing SB to leave the ground so pressing jump fails. Small jumps seem to be properly inertia based in normal gravity.

what is a bit surprising is that this isn't something they can launch and work on patches for - everyone surely understands LBP2 will have some bugs...it's inevitable on such an open product
You have one shot at attracting casual creators. If they find like I did that putting a skateboard in their level, it binds itself to the background, and then when they try to remove the skateboard the whole level disappears, they won't be interested in trying further! I don't think releasing known serious bugs is ever a real option, although it's too common place these days. Before online updates, console games had better QA and just plain worked on the whole. Now the experience is growing ever closer to the PC experience that console ownership is supposed to avoid, with games not working out of the box and owners waiting for bug-fixes, some of which never arrive. It's a sorry state of affairs, and I applaud developers and publishers who choose a quality of product. Also in Sony's case, this is a flagship title where compromise is less of an option than some cheap, fairly niche 3rd party title.

Good. They can expand the beta if they want to let more people experience LBP2. Don't release buggy games to the consumers at large. Not everyone can stomach software issues, especially new customers.

Maybe all PS3s sold before LBP2 is out can get a free copy of LBP1?

Horrible news. This means the game will not perform better then the first game. Sony and MM will lose a ton of potential money.

You have one shot at attracting casual creators. If they find like I did that putting a skateboard in their level, it binds itself to the background, and then when they try to remove the skateboard the whole level disappears, they won't be interested in trying further! I don't think releasing known serious bugs is ever a real option, although it's too common place these days. Before online updates, console games had better QA and just plain worked on the whole.

I know what you're saying, but the game is still 6/7 weeks from launch so my thoughts are that they'd have a patch ready for launch. I know it's not ideal, but I'm also fairly certain most people who makes levels will be online.

I do find it odd that such an error wasn't picked up earlier?

Back