[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

Wow ! That is absolute genius. I didn't know LBP2 had gone so far ahead of LBP1 :oops: ! That cutscene was brilliant and the Bunny and caterpillar race means this time, the fun is actually unlimited ! The sequencer means musically controlled objects and I can't stop my imagination ! Imagine a level actually morphing and changing according to soothing music. A Silent Hill level where we go between two different worlds and more, maybe characrters change with time. We can even have a GROOVITRON in it ! Am I Dreaming or has PS3 been finally unleashed. Everything Sony promised.......is coming true.....Aaaah ! :LOL:
(goes and checks wallet for money !)

Yap, the new LBP2 tools are incredible. Will see if their story mode is hard as hell. :)

I am also keen in EA's Create game (Can't remember what it's called).

EDIT: Heh, it's called "Create".

I'm definitely looking forward to non-LBP gameplay. I fired up LBP1 and I found the control really aggravating playing the POTC levels. I could jump down from a ledge, and jump from the floor on landing only to get zero height. Even if the jump mechanics remain unchanged, LBP2 is no longer limited to platforming, and there'll be lots of other games to play. Also there's lots of ways to change the platforming, with grabbers, creatatron, etc.

One could as well remake Crash Commando in it ! It was awesomely fun !

EDIT: on similar lines, I checked out the Modnation Racers demo. It looks fantastic and I loved the gameplay :) ! Add to that millions of tracks and split screen gameplay, it might be the best racer for the family. Much better than all of those destructive racers out there. Split screen makes it a definite family fav I guess.

I'm definitely looking forward to non-LBP gameplay. I fired up LBP1 and I found the control really aggravating playing the POTC levels.

Really? I just sailed through those levels. I think I even aced one or two first try.

Anyway, watched through the long presentation below and I just can't wait for the next game. From the day Move comes out it's going to be great games overload until probably summer 2011 for me just based on what's been announced so far.

Really? I just sailed through those levels. I think I even aced one or two first try.
I've had no trouble completing them when I first played them. I can't really claim to have had significant trouble this time around. However, it was clear that without keeping one's hand in, a fresh gameplay experience is frustrating. I'd miss jumps, end up in the water, climb onto floating debris, then try to jump off only to jump next to nowhere, fall in the drink again, etc. nothing prevented me from completing the levels, but I spent too much time wrestling with controls ending up where I didn't intend to be for it to be particularly fun. It had a sense of the old-skool, pixel-perfect requirement, where you could try a jump 20 times in a Spectrum platformer and keep getting wrong because you were out a hundredth of a second. Only in those days, it was always you who was wrong, where in LBP it's the changing circumstances that you have to adapt to.

I can think of plenty of remakes that should translate really well, unlike the rather patchy (though always impressive) remakes that LBP was squeezed into creating. Let's be honest, none of the horizontal shooters were actually good shooters! I wondering if I could create a top-down dungeon crawler. Gauntlet comes to mind in it's simplest form, and from there it could be evolved. New pickups are possible thanks to the hands, but I don't know how the top-down view works. I'm also thinking of a Paradroid '90 remake. Basically top-down is where I'm at! Much as I'd like to create stories, I think conventional game experiences are an easier starting point.

Well defintely the direct control is going to 'open doors'. I really liked the 'control two sackbots at once' puzzle minigame!

On another note, and I don't want to dwell on it too much, but I've been playing NSMB on a DS XL in a store the other day, and I hated it's guts again. I think probably most people played that shit so often and so long that they forgot that the jumping is totally unforgiving and annoying in that game. This is not a knock on NSMB per se - it just means that there's a learning curve to this as well. The difference in your enjoyment of it seems to primarily be the predictability of the jump, but I have to say that overall I have less problems with the much more forgiving jumping in LBP than that in SMB where you have to be pixel perfect.

But is that not part of the challenge, its changing ie you can not do it the exact same way, every time?
One could argue that, but if the situation is unpredctable, you can't really learn to accomodate it. The only solution is repetition until environment variables allow you succeed. LBP's core jump is reasonable forgiving with it's mid-air adjustments. It requires fine control beyond the casual gamer, but I'm very comfortable with subtle stick counter-moves to arrest forward momentum and land properly having lots of 16 bit platform experience. Gameplay that has too much repeating the same bits over and over again is hardcore and seems to me not too popular these days when gamers are no longer kids with time on their hands and wanting to be able to brag about their successes on the playground.

The difference in your enjoyment of it seems to primarily be the predictability of the jump...
In LBP, but i get eaqually annoyed at games needing pixel-perfect jumps. IMO there needs to be suitable margin for error. And having seen people play my LBP levels, the margin for error needs to be pretty broad to be publically acceptable. I could easily control my jumps hanging onto a balloon, but I never saw anyone else who could cope with getting pulled around. You also find that in other games, where the devs even patch games to make them easier, like Trine. Gauging what the public likes in terms of difficulty, especially the broad spread of abilities, is definitely hard!

EDIT: on similar lines, I checked out the Modnation Racers demo. It looks fantastic and I loved the gameplay :) ! Add to that millions of tracks and split screen gameplay, it might be the best racer for the family. ...

For our family, YES !!!
I highly recommend Modnation Racers.

In LBP, but i get eaqually annoyed at games needing pixel-perfect jumps. IMO there needs to be suitable margin for error. And having seen people play my LBP levels, the margin for error needs to be pretty broad to be publically acceptable. I could easily control my jumps hanging onto a balloon, but I never saw anyone else who could cope with getting pulled around. You also find that in other games, where the devs even patch games to make them easier, like Trine. Gauging what the public likes in terms of difficulty, especially the broad spread of abilities, is definitely hard!

Yep. I guess that's why you need levels that basically train the player to possess the skills you want them to have. But it is difficult to do it in such a way that skilled players can rush through those 'training' sections (or skip them altogether) while a learning player has a good time playing the 'training' levels. To some extent, the various bonus 'bubbles' for items and points littering the stages in LBP at harder to reach areas are the kind of thing that make the 'training areas' more interesting for advanced players. A lot of games use that kind of technology to make a game fun for variously skilled players, but the problem here is that skilled players don't always realise this - they will finish the game without finding all the extras in very short time and complain that the game was easy, boring and short. I've seen this happen to LocoRoco a lot in particular, where it was great fun to get 20/20 for each level, but you didn't have to. I went for that 20/20 every time and had an awesome time, but others just rushed through and were disappointed.

Visually, this is the best looking game this generation. Look at how they use the fluid dynamics for disintigration effects! They've gone top-draw in pretty much every department. The jump physics are unchanged (boo) but the guy says you can change a Sackbot and control them instead. Although I'm not sure that solves anything because the problem wasn't so much how high SB jumped, but the underlying physics.

The jump physics are unchanged (boo) but the guy says you can change a Sackbot and control them instead. Although I'm not sure that solves anything because the problem wasn't so much how high SB jumped, but the underlying physics.

I think, given LBP's out there, it's a pretty elegant solution: keeps their pride intact and in a roundabout way appeases all the naysayers.

I'd also though they'd said something like you can change the "gravity" with SBs so the jumping isn't just height but your "floatyness".

C'mon Shifty you've been paying closer attention than I have so you should've known that!
I hope I'm right about the gravity otherwise I've just made myself look stupid!

I know gravity can be changed (LittleBigMod and all!) but the jump issues are something else, general erraticness of the physics engine when dealing with jumps. to be able to change that, you'd need to change SB's response to jumping from a moving platform, such as when jumping from a floating log. To have a uniform launch velocity instead of one affected by the platform motion would require a jump style setting in the physics engine, and AFAIK there's nothing like that. We might even see low-gravity levels aggravating the issues. If where typically perhaps you can jump a screen's height in a low gravity world, jumping from a floating log may result in you barely rising at all.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/07/littlebigplanet2/

The first LittleBigPlanet saw a simultaneous worldwide release, with versions in all major territories arriving within a few days of each other.

It looks like Sony will be pulling off the same feat with LittleBigPlanet 2. The game's US version is already confirmed for November 16. While Sony Japan has yet to formally announce a date, an online retailer has posted a listing with a November 18 date.

The listing promises the following features:

* Play all the user-created stages from the original -- over 2 million.

* Includes 10 completely original PlayStation Move-exclusive stages.

* First run bonus item is a product code for downloading a "Sackboy Special

EDIT:
I know gravity can be changed (LittleBigMod and all!) but the jump issues are something else, general erraticness of the physics engine when dealing with jumps. to be able to change that, you'd need to change SB's response to jumping from a moving platform, such as when jumping from a floating log. To have a uniform launch velocity instead of one affected by the platform motion would require a jump style setting in the physics engine, and AFAIK there's nothing like that. We might even see low-gravity levels aggravating the issues. If where typically perhaps you can jump a screen's height in a low gravity world, jumping from a floating log may result in you barely rising at all.

If they position SackBoy in a SackBot at the beginning of the level (e.g. in a Space Invader level), then I don't think the users will experience the old jump physics at all. To them, it would be a totally new control scheme throughout the whole level.

Back