When will the next generation start?

What would the Valve box use for OS and API? Linux and openGL? I don't know if you can lock down windows to that level without having access to the source code, and MS surely won't give access to that.
Why would MS care?! A third party creating hardware that runs MS OSes and links to MS services is their ideal. If the whole world created Xboxes without MS having to, they'd be much, much happier. I'm sure if any hardware manufacturer wants to create a gaming PC, MS will happily charge them to use their OS and tools and ensure content is shared with Live! with a cut.

But it's for this reason no-one like Valve will create a box. The money to cover the hardware comes from the software. Consoles only survive (and let's be realistic here - how many billions have been lost by companies from one generation to the next?! Consoles are hardly a license to print money unless you're lucky). Why would Valve lead with PC ahrdware to play games when instead they can leave people to buy a PC (more useful) and just buy into Steam?

I wasn't suggesting selling them at a loss.

Why would they lead? Because no one is making PC's with the same level of intuitiveness of use as a console ... but for a subset of PC games it's certainly possible to do so. They could do it and thus expand the market for people who buy games off Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could just create a front for Windows, a la Media Centre, and sell not only boxes (which not loss leading, will cost considerably more than a console, and the same price as a far more flexible PC) but also sell the service to existing PC users.

Except I am suggesting a PC which they maintain ... and for them to be able to maintain it you do need to restrict the potential configurations and as I said you would want a boot prom so they can fix things from outside of windows when necessary. They could license it to other system builders, but it doesn't make much sense for end users.

It doesn't really need to be less flexible than a normal PC, you would just have to dual boot to use it as a normal PC or run applications inside a virtualized client OS.

Such a dual-boot system could be added to current PCs, much like backup utilities that create hidden partitions. The idea of manageable, limited hardware makes sense if Valve are to manage maintenance, but given the overhead of management and hardware, I can't see it being worth their while. If you're going to have a finite box and provide all support, you have the same issues as creating a console.

They have some of the same issues, but it's much lower risk. You could get this off the ground for much less money than a real console launch. No need to design custom hardware, no need for developers to specifically target your platform (other than supporting gamepads and not making crap buggy software).

Hell, Valve doing what I suggest makes a hell of a lot more sense than Microsoft making the XBox ... Valve would expand their existing market, Microsoft is sawing one of the legs out from under Windows.

I expect 2012 to be the start of the next generation for all platform providers. We may even see a newcomer to the console industry, Apple (not counting Pippin of the 90s). By 2012 the 360 will be 7 years old, the Wii & PS3 will be 6 years old. That's enough of a run for the current generation. I don't expect the current systems to last until 2014-2015 as some do. Maybe 2013 at the latest but i'm betting on 2012.

I still say Valve should start selling locked down boxes to run Steam PC games

I was just talking about that with some guys the other day. All they need to do is go with Linux and Opengl, and partner with one of the big boys. Imagine if EA and Valve partnered on a game box that was all closed and secure, perhaps download only with Steam, and it was the only place to play EA games. EA would only have to port DirectX games to opengl and bam, the machine has an instant library of hits. Add in built in Netflix support from day one and it would be a tempting machine!

I think if esp ms does this and allows you to buy Crysis 3 on the 360 but since you own the liscense you can also play it on your pc , pc gaming will take off again.

Dunno if Microsoft would do that. Look at Game Room on the 360. You can buy an arcade game for one cost, but you have to pay extra if you also want it usable on PC. They don't seem to like the one price for multiple platforms idea.

Why would MS care?!

Because they would potentially not need to use any Microsoft platforms or technologies, except for using Visual Studio for development.

If it doesn't have a d-pad it's not a handheld console.

Doesn't mean it can't dwarf "traditional" gaming platforms as far as revenue potential goes.

I was just talking about that with some guys the other day. All they need to do is go with Linux and Opengl, and partner with one of the big boys.
At that point you are really launching a console though. If they use windows (even though to consumers it wouldn't look like it) you have an instant library of games.

A bit OT, but I can't really understand why MGS hasn't set up a DD system like Steam via their Games for Windows Live program. With one swing if their sword, MS could completely destroy Steam and every other DD system out there.

I wonder if Valve and MS have some sort of "gentleman's agreement"? Valve devs exclusively for 360/PC, and MS lets them have Steam? Probably just a crazy conspiracy theory. Been reading too many of xxx's threads in the RSPC forum. :D

I think Steam's so entrenched now and GFWL has taken off so badly that MS couldn't do much in this area, even if they wanted to...

Yeah, just MS promised that. Didn't a certain other company practically promise a standard of 1080P at one time? Whatever happened to that? Instead they ended up struggling to keep up at 720P. There's just as many sub HD games on PS3 as 360, even if 360 has had a few high profile misses lately.

No, they didn't. They said the system is 1080p capable, but they never promised 1080p would be the minimum.

9pm, 10NOV 2012

9-10-11-12

Are you sure you didn't mix that with the end of the world? :)

I think MS want's to launch before or no later than Sony again, so they have to take some initiative on the matter. I think it's either 2012-2013, maybe someone will move away from the traditional late year launch to say march, to get two peak seasons during the first year?

I was just talking about that with some guys the other day. All they need to do is go with Linux and Opengl, and partner with one of the big boys.
That's actually a good idea but I'm not convinced on launching new hardware is the right way to go. It costs a ton of money to sell it, and it'd really be no different than Sony or MS launching a new console.

Maybe a better method will be to make a Steam OS (Linux) that anyone can download from the steam website for free and install into a separate partition on their hard drive, or a brand new PC. It would include an easy partition manager program, and a bootloader to choose between the steam OS and other OS's. It would only support a limited subset of hardware of course. They can start by writing sixaxis and 360 drivers so both would work.

No, they didn't. They said the system is 1080p capable, but they never promised 1080p would be the minimum.

Never promised, but implied and touted at one point. Obviously. Pretty sure you know what I meant. Besides that I clearly never stated that they did, so I'm not sure how your response is supposed to make sense.

9pm, 10NOV 2012

9-10-11-12

LOL.

Speaking of 9PM, quick OT, heard on a podcast that the game releases dates should move from Tue midnight to Friday 9PM. That actually makes a hell of a lot of sense if you think about it...well for most people, for me it's the reverse since I work weekends and am off weekdays :)

Back