Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Controls are similar to Gears 2, which means its a bit different from Gears1.

It's not the controls, it's the feel of the game. Seems a little faster and more first-person than third-person in terms of speed. I dialed down the sensitivity a bit to my comfort level.

I just finished Act I, so I'm getting used to it.

Are you sure about that? I was goofing around and fired up some horde mode split screen (only 1 xbl account), I didn't get the impression it would have prevented me from inviting people online. Perhaps you have to host if you want to do that, or maybe you can only do private games? But certainly not impossible to play hordemode in split without both being xbl gold members.

IIRC Gears 2 would only work in private online if I had someone signed in as a guest

I know it's baked, but that part is both a technological and artistic triumph.

It's mostly art style in combination with the Lightmass. They've certainly gone for the high contrast lighting with minimal tonemapping (usually just when changing light source colour), but the GI helps a ton.

I dont think the game has HDR lighting.

Probably still FP10, which is still considerably better than INT8.

HDR isn't just about bit depths, neither is tone mapping (which has to be used).
You can create realistic scale between light source intensities, as the sun is about a thousand times as strong as a candle and most artificial light sources are also at least an order of magnitude weaker.

Which is also why tone mapping has to be adjusted from daytime to nighttime, and you can tweak it even within the same scene depending on where the camera is. Not to mention adjusting individual RGB response curves and so on. It's a bit hard to fully understand because it can't really be explained with images ;) You want to light daytime outdoor scenes so bright that nothing's gonna be visible by default, for example.

Finished Horde on Overpass with three randoms. zomg Had to retry wave 50 about 10 times. Pretty awesome game.

Damn. I need more time to play this game. I'm barely on level 5 for fences and that's pretty much what I've been doing when hording. I'm sure it'll move much quicker now that we're mostly done with the campaign items. I barely played Horde mode, just the three times but managed to get through to wave 50.

I sure wish Beast mode had more than 12 waves.

I have the worst luck with Horde. I always run out of time around late 30's on levels. I need to finish all 50.

I'm loving how smooth the MP is. Played a few hours of KOTH last night and there was never a "B.S." moment due to lag.

It's not the controls, it's the feel of the game. Seems a little faster and more first-person than third-person in terms of speed. I dialed down the sensitivity a bit to my comfort level.

I just finished Act I, so I'm getting used to it.

This is my sense as well. Having made it beyond the first act now there are definitely too many cutscenes. It almost feels as if they took the Halo "30 seconds of fun" a little too literally...

I have the worst luck with Horde. I always run out of time around late 30's on levels. I need to finish all 50.

I'm loving how smooth the MP is. Played a few hours of KOTH last night and there was never a "B.S." moment due to lag.

Me too, either the host/other members quit or I get idiot players.

On the final level with the Queen, and it's a bitch.

But aside from that, my main problem with the campaign is the frequency of revives - it's almost impossible to actually die on hardcore. It ruined a lot of the tension in the game for me as no matter what the threat was, I knew I didn't have to play it safe and flank 'em - I could rush in guns blazing, as if I got taken down, more often than not the Locust would then ignore me while one of my squad rushed in to revive me. I can't count the number of times I could waltz into a firefight and just start chainsawing Locust, I would never be able to do that with such frequency previously.

So often in the game you're with your entire squad, whereas in GoW1 (and to a lesser extent 2), there were long stretches when you were alone, and I actually missed that in this installment. The problem with having 3 more squad members is aside from the aforementioned abundance of revives, it's that the fight scenes are so chaotic you don't really have that sense of desperation and bad-assery (?) that you did in the first two. Many times a fight would break out, I would go off wandering looking for collectibles, come back and oh - we won. Go me. I can't count the number of times I could waltz into a firefight and just start chainsawing Locust, I would never be able to do that with such frequency previously.

The lack of variance in set pieces and gameplay compared to Gow2 was also noticeable. I was awed by some of the landscapes and the levels are definitely larger, but it's not near the funhouse ride that Gow2's campaign was. Part of the problem is that we're so used to the GoW mechanic by now, but compared to the craziness in Gow2 in terms of gameplay elements (riding the diggers/tank/Brumak) it seems like a rinse/repeat of level design from act to act at times.

Dialog and story are...well, painful. Seems like Marcus's voice actor turned the grizzly-dial up to 11 for this go-round. But hey, it's GoW I know - but jeez, so much chatter and no one actually says anything revealing or interesting. Typical Marcus dialog:

(Huge horde of enemies) "We gotta get through em!"
(Glowing door in front of you) "Lets open that door!"

The most mundane dialog delivered the most angrily.

All that being said...dissapointed but not pissed though, as I played Horde for 4 hours a few nights ago, and it's better than ever. I can get my moneys worth just from Horde mode it's so damned addicting/hilarious. The inclusion of cash and upgrades really flesh it out.

Graphically though, absolutely stupendous. Lighting, effects, texture detail (especially on their armour) is the best yet in a 360 title. Horde will still really chug on the later levels though in intense firefights making me long even more for a PC version (which will never happen). But aside from that performance is a solid 30fps for the most part. So few technical shortcomings as expected.

On the final level with the Queen, and it's a bitch.

But aside from that, my main problem with the campaign is the frequency of revives - it's almost impossible to actually die on hardcore. It ruined a lot of the tension in the game for me as no matter what the threat was, I knew I didn't have to play it safe and flank 'em - I could rush in guns blazing, as if I got taken down, more often than not the Locust would then ignore me while one of my squad rushed in to revive me. I can't count the number of times I could waltz into a firefight and just start chainsawing Locust, I would never be able to do that with such frequency previously.

So often in the game you're with your entire squad, whereas in GoW1 (and to a lesser extent 2), there were long stretches when you were alone, and I actually missed that in this installment. The problem with having 3 more squad members is aside from the aforementioned abundance of revives, it's that the fight scenes are so chaotic you don't really have that sense of desperation and bad-assery (?) that you did in the first two. Many times a fight would break out, I would go off wandering looking for collectibles, come back and oh - we won. Go me. I can't count the number of times I could waltz into a firefight and just start chainsawing Locust, I would never be able to do that with such frequency previously.

Exactly! I'm surprised more people arent talking about this. I guess most of them didn't play much Gears 1 or 2 or something, because it's a major difference. Having 3 squad members always just as you said, and I posted my thoughts before, means A, you're always revived, B, you can often let the AI do all the work for you if you want in any given battle. I dont consider myself a very good video game player, and I actually turned the difficulty up from normal to hardcore halfway through the campaign in search of some challenge. And that's unheard of for me, and I play games on normal difficulty as a matter of course.

I have a theory about that, I often notice major balancing issues in Gears games (2 and 3). I think Gears games are touted as being deved with fairly small teams by current standards. Now Epic has other teams working on UE3 and all, but the actual Gears team is pretty small AFAIK. This may be good for Epic's bottom line, but I cant help but feel their games have serious balancing issues that a game with a team of 2 or 3 hundred wouldn't have.

It's hard for me to imagine Epic didn't step back and notice at some point, "hey, this is easy as hell". Like I said, I almost feel like maybe the Gears team is understaffed is why it happens.

I didn't find the queen fight particularly hard either. Lost once I think. It is a bit aggravating and takes a while, I guess. Still think the Raam boss fight is king for the Gears series. Epic graphics, challenging, and fun.

The lack of variance in set pieces and gameplay compared to Gow2 was also noticeable. I was awed by some of the landscapes and the levels are definitely larger, but it's not near the funhouse ride that Gow2's campaign was. Part of the problem is that we're so used to the GoW mechanic by now, but compared to the craziness in Gow2 in terms of gameplay elements (riding the diggers/tank/Brumak) it seems like a rinse/repeat of level design from act to act at times.

Now see here's where you completely lose me. I disliked all the set pieces in Gears 2, and consider the lesser number of set pieces and scripting in Gears 3 to be a major improvement over 2. To my mind Gears is at it's best when it's a courtyard, some weapons, and some baddies. I dont like heavy scripting in most any game for that matter, and maintain more or less there has never been a fun vehicle sequence in any game, ever (stop and think about it....every single time in every single FPS/TPS that I set foot in any kind of vehicle, at best it's tolerable but you still wish you were back on foot, at worst horribly annoying).

Dialog and story are...well, painful. Seems like Marcus's voice actor turned the grizzly-dial up to 11 for this go-round. But hey, it's GoW I know - but jeez, so much chatter and no one actually says anything revealing or interesting. Typical Marcus dialog:

(Huge horde of enemies) "We gotta get through em!"
(Glowing door in front of you) "Lets open that door!"

The most mundane dialog delivered the most angrily.

I agree here. Bad dialogue is common in games sadly though and I dont think it's any worse than say, Killzone, okay maybe a little. But yeah, it can be a little grating. I dont know why they tout spending all this money on writers every time and come up with this trash. Although it's a bit allowable because you know, "that's Gears".

Graphically though, absolutely stupendous. Lighting, effects, texture detail (especially on their armour) is the best yet in a 360 title. Horde will still really chug on the later levels though in intense firefights making me long even more for a PC version (which will never happen). But aside from that performance is a solid 30fps for the most part. So few technical shortcomings as expected.

I wasn't as wowed by the graphics as I'd hoped, but the end levels certainly are amazing and overall the graphics are top notch, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished it last night (on Normal) and really enjoyed the campaign from start to finish.

I didn't really have any issue with some of the comments here about the story, cutscenes or voice acting. Maybe by standards are lower than others, but I thought all of those were fine. Good even.

Going to play through it again on Hardcore and maybe spend a little more time looking for collectables. Might even try some of the online options, but I've never really played any Gears online so am bound to be seen as the weak link in any group of players and therefore an undesirable ;)

I think Gears lost a lot of the horror elements. I don't remember a single point in this game where it was trying to scare me. Maybe it's because I'm surrounded by 3 other guys the whole game.

Gears 1 and 2 had some scary elements. This one just felt like a straight up action game.

Don't have one of little "scary" moment in Gears 1&2… there really not "scary" games. And they're "easy" game in veteran too, dement is other story. Gears 3 seem to easy by the fact you're 4 all the game. ;)

Just started reading Aspho Fields (Book 1 of 4 now). It's pretty good so far with the character backgrounds. I can already get a sense of what the losses have been like for several of them.

Back