Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Yep. Frame rate is rock solid. Were the other ones sub-30 fps frequently, because this one feels incredibly smooth? I'm assuming it's 30fps without wavering, for the most part.

I'm only in Act 1, but enjoying it so far. Not sure I understand the complaints about the drab colours, because this one is way more colourful than the other titles. It isn't Mario colourful or anything, but it's nothing like the first title.

Haven't tried 4 player co-op yet, but I'm playing 2 player with my brother and it runs without a hitch. No lag to speak of. Also the multiplayer servers are very good. No lag to speak of. I'm sure there's some lag hiding going on.

This is the smoothest Gears... (Campaign wise and Multi)

Gears 1 campaign's framerate was a bit erratic... Even when there were 2 locusts on the screen:p

As for colorful... Wait till you see Act 3. Completely changed the tone of the game... Until something very disturbing contrasts with it...

I also think the improved motion blur is contributing to how smooth the game looks. Gears 1 was a bit jumpy, but I don't recall Gears 2 really having much problems with the frame rate.

Act 2 Chapters 2 & 3 shows how much polish Epic put into the graphics. It's simply beautiful. I don't know if this is a spoiler... Maybe for you visual nuts. lol ;)

Pretty much stopped at Act 2: Chap 3. Tired. From what I've played so far, this is the best Gears yet. Gameplay is buttery smooth & I don't know about some of you, but I like where the story is headed. Just an overall polished experience and I'm loving it. Going to continue sometime tomorrow when I get off school. But for now, signing off..... :p

thanks for the hint guys...yes, one can choose the chapter (I am now in the final chapter)...but I do not mind playing the campaign again either :D

Comments on Act I
Liking the game, but the section where you play as Cole and Baird in Act 1 is a bit long, and doesn't really advance the story. I guess it's supposed to be character building for Cole, but yeah. Overall, it is still fun to play, and the visuals are great. Really enjoying it.

Maybe I'm crazy but I didn't love the game.

I'm a crap player and, it's almost impossible to die, because you always get revived by the AI. Even when I turned it up to hardcore halfway through the game, desperate for any kind of challenge. Sometimes it's just comical if you get trapped by a big baddie, as you can get in a loop of insta-killed and insta-revived 3 or 4 times in about 2 seconds. You can also usually let your 4 (!) teammates at all times pretty much do all the work if you want.

The series went bad with 2 and imo there's just too much leftover crap from 2 spoiling this one as well. All the useless 57,000 gun types that are more a chore than anything when the only good ones are really Lancer, Shotty, Longshot. The annoying not fun cliched "rush at you mindlessly" enemies (there's about 8 types of those alone by now). The Lambent are another cliche, ugly graphically, and annoying to fight...2 just tried to throw way too much at you and most of it sadly clutter up 3 as well...(boring stuff always cluttering around like poison grenades and shields and 57 types of the same heavy gun as well)

Graphics on Azura-threshold and the like, basically towards the end, are pretty amazing though. Many times the rest of the graphics weren't as good as I hoped. The end boss is another chore mostly, not fun like Raam was.

Gears has just lost that magic since part 1 imo. I would rate this higher than 2 easily, at least.

This is all speaking of campaign, I doubt I'll get that into horde or MP anyway though...

Day later edit: I would just like to say, after all that, the game is still fun and good looking. I'm looking better on it now. I guess kind of like many times I see a movie and walk out saying "meh", but the next day I think it was pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... worst part for me is the constant cut-scenes. Still having a blast though.

They do seem a little more frequent now, and I'd prefer to not have the gameplay broken up. Same complaint I had with Uncharted 2, but both games are very good, so in the end it doesn't have too much of a negative impact.

Also, we need to do some horde or beast mode. I haven't tried either yet.

Just finished Act 3.. Chapter 1 was pretty boring defending the fort and all. I actually just let the locust break through because I was getting so bored of killing them. Chapters 4 & 5 were absolutely amazing. The visuals in the level were great. But man, Chapter 5 took a big toll on me. Epic moment. I literally started a slow clap.. Nuff said. Well, done for the night. Good thing is, tomorrow is Friday! So I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish up the campaign by the end of the day. Besides the bits of boring/repetitive parts, so far so good.

:cool:

Will be starting my playthrough in a few hours :). Installed last night to my 20gig HD, had to remove Reach...I gotta get me a bigger HD.

the only issue I have with this game is that the german voice work is not lip sync...its a little bit of a downer for such an high level AAA title...the rest is top notch!

is there are way to force english language on the Xbox360? Do I have to somehow switch the system language to english and then the game boots with english language?

I just figured out that if you hold left trigger while walking up to an NPC or teammate you can trade weapons or share ammo. >_>

Also, we need to do some horde or beast mode. I haven't tried either yet.

Yeah, horde is pretty fun. :) Played with willard and NRP yesterday in a public match. Got up to wave 30 on Hotel. I still haven't quite figured out the cash sharing.

Back