Gears of War 3: Brofisting to the End

Whoa. Big spoiler... :cool: (I like where this story is going)

I thought it was just the stuff from the intro of Act 1. lol

Man, this game looks utterly amazing.

I think there should be at least another big Epic game on the X360, maybe not a new Unreal but it can't just end with Gears 3...

Whats up with the shadows in this game?I mean, because they really look great, not really used to see them this good on consoles.

Whats up with the shadows in this game?I mean, because they really look great, not really used to see them this good on consoles.
Seems to be pretty much same as before, pre-calculated shadows/lighting on background and per object shadow maps on characters.
Although they have fixed the shadow accumulation problem, most likely they use shadow mask buffer to combine shadows and then use it to mask light.

Epic pwned that Youtube video already. LOL!

I guess it's time to start a "who's playing what and when" thread.

Review are out already! I expected the game to launch sometime during autumn, they caught out of guard :LOL:

Review are out already! I expected the game to launch sometime during autumn, they caught out of guard :LOL:
It surprised everyone, I think. The scores are very good in general. Also the software value is really good, because of the lasting campaign, multiplayer modes, even for those who don't have an internet connection with the addition of bots, the new game modes, and the usual different difficulty levels which are usually pretty well balanced in Gears.

Even Edge gave it a 9. Edge!!!!!!! They are usually very harsh when scoring games, although they have at least a balanced and "equitable" scoring system, regardless some people might dislike this. Cheers to them.

What I didn't like though, was the 8 from Eurogamer which, as usual lately, are full of themselves -giving 10s to some almost irrelevant games, Halo 3, GTA IV- and giving an 8 to a game with such longevity and value. They try to be hip and cool, or what? In trying to stand out and make a spectacle of themselves they forget to laud the game for it's value. If you want to strike a sour note do it with style at least. The review doesn't say clearly why they scored it with an 8 instead of a 9 or so, and the negative comments don't hint at it.

They have Digital Foundry and this reviewer -can't remember her name- who makes me laugh a lot with some of her reviews, but I expected a better score from them.

I completed Gears 2 like a month ago, after three years or so since it was launched but I will purchase this new game soon, I had real fun playing it. Now, excuse me, I have to duck for cover, I can hear the bad guys who want "more guns" coming... !!! :LOL:

Praise the Cliff.

Man, this game looks utterly amazing.

I think there should be at least another big Epic game on the X360, maybe not a new Unreal but it can't just end with Gears 3...
agreed, I am really surprised at how good it looks, so sharp...Also everything is lit in a different way than its predecessors, it looks orders of magnitude better than Gears 2 and 1. Gears 1 impressed me more, though, because I played it in 2006. Only Oblivion made a deeper impression on me 5 years ago. Time flies like an arrow. Sigh.

IGNs perception of framerate is often completely removed from reality.
lol, so true. They aren't also great at pixel counting. Don't worry about them. Don't yah get it? They just like to complain!!! Their reviews, and the whole homepage, are usually fine for me though.

Review embargo up today?

Bummer, just makes it that much harder for me to maintain my media drought...wonder why when most games embargoes dont seem to end until release day anymore.

9.0 from IGN isn't that great given the other reviews.

I've come to decided I dont like IGN's new half point system either. As a practical matter since 10's are rare, "really good" games only have two score options, 9.0 and 9.5. Gets repetitive. Bet every big release this fall gets a 9.0, with a occasional 8.5 and 9.5.

Back