Nier

So I've finished it now, got all the endings at about 65 hours. Haven't been hooked on a game like this for a while (though I also had more spare time recently than I had for most of the year, with the summer and all).

On that note, the game lets you transfer your accumulated levels, stats and inventory to a New Game+, except it starts you at about halfway through the game, so it's way quicker to push to the end than doing a full playthrough. All side-quests you did in a previous run are still solved, so there's not much to distract you from the main events either.

The second half is where the pace really picks up. Or actually the lead-up to part 2, but I don't want to spoil it. There's still new side-quests in part two, but those are opt-in as usual, so if it feels like it's moving too slow, just push on with the main quest and it'll be great again.

I really respect what they did with the writing. There is one "town" in the game world that's called the Forest Of Myth, very small place, where all your interactions are getting "sucked in" to stories and dreams. It's all reading text, while the 3D rendering of the world is faded to black. These are approximately five-minute episodes, white letters on black background with dynamic music playing along. Sometimes there's a little "quiz" integrated to check if you paid attention. There's one event that is a bit like a text adventure/interactive fiction in that you need to choose directions to go while escaping from somewhere. It sounds lame, but the effective switch to another medium allowed them to really rack up the writing. Excellent story telling.

The association I have here is with the thousand-year dream from Lost Odyssey, except I've never played that. Oh well. In any case, it's fully integrated into the game and the plots are intertwined.

Combat holds up well, too. The enemies keep getting tougher, they introduce armored shades in the second half, and two new weapon classes (two-handed swords and spears) open up, both with their little quirks. Scrub enemies don't take brains to fight, but getting past blocks and armors of the higher-level enemies either with rolls/back attacks, charged standard attacks, downward smashes (triangle while in the air) and/or magic never got old for me.

The UI is very fast, so whenever you feel like you want to switch, you'll be accomodated. Basically, d-pad to open a category (up for healing/buff items, down for SH swords, left for TH swords, right for spears), then a short, flat list pops up. No loading, waiting for animations or any other annoyances here.
It also helps that the game is one seamless world, with visible enemies and no magic transportation to the battle arena or somesuch. You can cover ground very quickly. Of course there's always some glowing harvesting spots to pull you off to the side ;)

All in all I would definitely recommend this. I've imported from the UK for 18£ plus shipping and got way, way more than I expected. The graphics look a bit iffy, and I suspect that's what scared a lot of people away, but everything else, combat, quality of the story, amount of content, is ace. I can't overstate how good the music is. It's dynamic tunes, ala Lucas Arts iMuse back in the day, where instruments chime in and bow out depending on which rooms/floors of dungeons you enter, and what enemies are around, if any. Nier is only the second PS3 game so far where I'd buy the soundtrack (the other being Shatter).

One more story note: the game reveals much more of its hand in New Game+. After the first ending, you might still feel it's all just "Hero kills all the bad guys and saves the world" kind of deal ...
In New Game+ though, the game goes in the
Shadow Of The Colossus
direction.
(the spoiler text is a reference to another game, not a description of plot developments)

tl;dr: it's awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does the framerate hold up? Smooth? Jittery?
It's stable. I think it's v-synced as well (on PS3), never saw any tearing.
In some of the DLC challenges, when you charge up your attack and kill ten+ small enemies swarming around you with a single swing, with blood spraying everywhere, it slows down for a second, yes. That's a rare situation though.

Edit: I think they sacrificed some image quality for framerate. The texture filtering looks a bit suspect in spots, with implausibly blocky mipmaps in prominent places and a bit of shimmering.
Edit2: At least one of the (in-engine) boss exposition cutscenes drops to 20fps, maybe even 15. It goes back up to 30 once you regain control.

Seemed very stable to me. Considering how the game looks like absolute ass that's not exactly an epic accomplishment. Seriously, this is the worst looking game I have played in ages. Far worse looking than Cavia's last game Bulletwitch in fact. Very interesting story though.

So I've finished it now, got all the endings at about 65 hours. Haven't been hooked on a game like this for a while (though I also had more spare time recently than I had for most of the year, with the summer and all).

Excellent story telling.

Combat holds up well, too.

The UI is very fast, so whenever you feel like you want to switch, you'll be accomodated.

it's awesome.

Thanks for the impression ! :cool:

I've just ordered for the 360, Shopto.net (UK online retailer) have snuck it under a tenner.

Really looking forward to it. :) Not enough games with hermaphrodites at the moment.

So, I played through the main story this weekend.. (Gamesave says 30 hours)
The game is pretty good, only JRPG's I liked better this generation are Valkyria Chronicles, and Demon's Souls... I've not played Final Fantasy 13 yet tough.. :p

The story-line is pretty dark, it's a JRPG so the people you encounter, will most likely end up dead - there's 4 different endings I believe, I got ending A, dunno if that's a good or bad, but I liked it.
The battle-system is pretty simple, it's realtime battles only, wich is usually a turn-off for me, but this one were pretty great. Mostly because you get 15-20 different magic spells, wich is the thing you need to track. And you learn 'magic-words' wich you can put on your spells, weapon and martial-arts, to alter improve your magical abillities, or make them cheaper to use.
It's kind of limited to two-button mellee-battles - square (strike) and triangle (dash), and X is jump, O is interact/take/talk.. L1 (Aim) R1 (Cast magic), L2 Block - R2 Roll/Evade

(It will take a 30 minutes (or a hour or something like that, can't recall) until you meet the magical-book, wich will be one of your companions, and in addition to provide you with magic-abilities and similar, it will keep track of your various side-quests, and similar, so don't worry if the game feels empty in the beginning, after the tutorial, soon it will be much more there).
Even tough the game is pretty open-world, and let's you wander off to other city's, area's and similar to do side-quests at your own leisure - there is allways a big red X on the mini-map aswell as the main-map, showing you were to go, in order to progress further in the main story-line.
And if the Joystiq person who fished on the wrong place had bothered to check his minimap or full map - he would see that there were a big red X, located at the only other beach in that town.
The beach he were fishing at also had fish, but not the kind of fish he needed for his quest, that type were only at the other beach. :p

Afterall, if you want a good typical JRPG, this is the game I would reccomend..
Valkyrie Chronicels and Demon's Souls are games I reccomend before Nier, but VC for strategy and DS for gmeplay over story. While Nier is the better traditional JRPG..

Eternal Sonata were really bad, I didn't like it at all.
Enchanted Arms, WKC, and Disgea 3 a notch better in my opinion, but I liked Nier better than all of them. :)

Finished endings A and B (total playtime 25 hours for both, apparently), and it's well worth doing the second playthrough. You start off halfway through the game, and it's really amazing how just a few extra sentences here and there give a whole new perspective to the story!

Was going to do ending C next, but my copy of Reach arrived (finished that too - what a dull campaign), and now I've installed Resonance of Fate. Ah, well, looking forward to seeing Ending C in the New Year, perhaps. :) Not my favourite game of the year, but Nierly! (sorry!) An easy recommendation for a tenner.

Edit: another plus: after playing Nier, Resonance of Fate looks fantastic! ;)

I started playing Nier !

So-so graphics. Game is intriguing. Still early. I have a feeling I will like it.

If I remember right it's from the makers of Drakengard. Which means so so graphics repetitive but fun gameplay lots and lots of weapons to discover and a weird but well written dark story.

%&*$(&%$*) F-I-N-A-L-L-Y ! Completed the game in parallel with a death march at work.
Can't put down both work and play for 1-2 weeks. XD
[size=-2]Now I need to catch some sleep.[/size]

Square Enix, Nier should have been a numbered Final Fantasy game. :yes:
I like it so much more than FF13.

xbd, continuing from my XMB message, I don't want to reveal the plot point at all. It's a story about a small band of folks fighting for their dreams/desire in an endangered world. Simple and dark. Its approach is the anti-thesis of FF13.

Pre-requisite is you need to like JRPG.
Off to bed I go !

EDIT:
I :love: the City of Facade ! T_T

@patsu: I saw your game status yesterday on PSN, it was like:
Nier: Dreamsdreamdreamdreamdreamdream...dreamdream.

Is that a level in the game or does the game have that quirky status message?

Both.

I was told Nier's status messages are funny. Tried to drop back to XMB to see my status but XMB doesn't display my own presence data.

"Dreamsdreamdreamdreamdreamdream…dream dream." because I was indeed in someone's dream. :)

EDIT: I skipped one of the earlier cutscenes accidentally. Can someone tell me what happened 1300 years ago ?

In the opening scene, I defeated the Shades and went back to see Yonah. Then black scrawl appeared on her arm ? [I pressed <START> by mistake] and the scene forwarded to 1300 years later. What happened to Yonah and her father ?

The Shadowlord and his daughter… are they the same "people" I played as 1300 years ago ? … before they turned into Shades.

Yeap, finally found the cutscene on YouTube. I didn't miss much it seems. :)

Now on second playthrough. They tweaked the story a little to show you different perspectives (e.g., More backstory on Kaine and the monsters you fought). They are not so evil afterall. :(

EDIT: Done with Ending B. LBP2, I'm ready.

Back