The technology of Alan Wake *spawn

Nice video, but that's not actually from nintendo to show to the presses how awesome their game looks XD

If you're looking for a prior example, I believe Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 were both demoed on a theater screen.

I don't see why people want to complain about sub HD resolution. It's not the first title to do that, and has a unique presentation. People should be happy with the developers' choices. The developers should be given the freedom to explore, and they will always try to make the best decision for their games (e.g., give the game a unique look).

I guess my TV has a decent scaler, and I don't think the TV scalers mess up for 720p->1080p since it's a really easy process, most TV's suck much worse when it comes to upscaling SD or interlaced content. Last time I compared games on PS3/360 head to head was Fifa 10, and PS3 uses QAA as well as relying on the TV's scaler, but the difference was very minor for me, probably because Fifa is not a game that relies on texture detail. There was little difference, compared to GTA4 which I thought was really blurry on the PS3. Strangely, although Conan is 576p, I don't remember it as a blurry experience, maybe because it's been 2 years since I played it though.

Still I enjoyed GTA4, and Alan Wake being 540p should not be a detriment to its enjoyment.

FIFA 10 on the PS3 can output 1080p if you disable 720p.

If you're looking for a prior example, I believe Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 were both demoed on a theater screen.

I'm not saying that it was the first time someone did that. All i'm saying is that if remedy is ok to demoing their game with such a big screen with people playing not that from it, shows that they have confidence in how great this game looks.

I mean, its a controlled presentation, they could have shown the game on a regular screen and keeping people from a certain distance.

All i'm going is that sub hd or not, presentations like this could point to the game having a very good iq.

I track back to your sub-thread. The screen looks like a board room projector/LCD screen ? I jumped in half way thinking that they showed it in a theater too. If they are showing the demo to a large number of people, they have no choice but to show it on a large screen in a large room (or auditorium).

Of course the game will look good. Didn't they spend a lot of time developing this game ? If they go with a sub-HD resolution plus other advanced visual elements, then that would be the best choice for their game in their expert opinion.

Of course the game will look good. Didn't they spend a lot of time developing this game ? If they go with a sub-HD resolution plus other advanced visual elements, then that would be the best choice for their game in their expert opinion.

exactly

I don't see why people want to complain about sub HD resolution.

Well since its different strokes for different folks....

It wont bother some people but it will bother me because I like IQ, I just do. Its not a requirement for me mind you but if you have a ton of press hyping the visuals (quotes of, it might be the best of this gen or the best of the xbox, etc) of this game long before it was known how the final product turned out and it falls short, there will be disappointment.

These current generation consoles (xbox/ps3) were also advertised as HD game platforms so when you have sub HD content on your HD capable console people feel a bit short changed.

But like I said above, some wont care, fine. Personally, I will and so will others. But if the argument is "graphics dont matter, game play does" then what was the point of these current gen consoles?

If the game goes HD, it means the developers will have to spend more time optimizing. In the end, they may run out of time polishing other elements. If they are not consistent, astute players like yourself will be able to notice those gaps anyway. ^_^

There may be other games that raised the bar in the technical department, but it doesn't necessarily mean that more is better. It depends on other artistic elements as well.

I do agree it's a personal preference...

I just noticed that this is a technical thread (i.e., pushing the envelope, identify shortfalls stuff). So I'll bow out. I have always thought that B3D readers are too harsh on game graphics.

Ha ha...what happend to this thread?
People here are really trying to "stealth" convince me that 540p+4xAA is a technical achievment??
And that the IQ at 540p+4xAA is much much (...) better than with 720p+QAA :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Remedy made this decision, because they think that counting all in and looking at the overall quality - 540p+4xAA gives the best result (and I trust them)!
But I really don't believe that they made this decision by choice and I don't think that they are absolute happy with it.

If 540p+4xAA+some extra "bling" is a better decision for the overall graphics: I think we have to see more of Alan Wake.
I myself think that I first have to see it live and play it to judge the overall graphics - but looking at the published screens+vids so far: I think that it looks great!

With respect to the indifferent resolution situation we have (some screens 540p, some 720p): could it possible be that for instance day light gamplay = 540p and night gameplay = 720p?
Would this even make sense?

Speaking of which, did any games last generation (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) utilize 4xAA at all? Or did they all max out at 2xAA? I can't seem to recall.

From what I can recall Project Gotham Racing 2 used 4xAA.

Anyway I expect AW does not dissapoint me.

Generally speaking, that part of your post really depends on the hardware. On 360 you are right the two might be comparable, any losses due to extra geometry processing are offset by less pixel shader execution since it's a unified hardware setup, so perhaps they are comparable. On PS3 though definitely not since 4xmsaa on rsx is very slow hence why many have been doing research into spu based aa.

I really don't understand your post at all: can you explain me why the Metro2033 guys replaced MSAA with their form of CPU based AA then?
They even clearly state in the DF interview that this saved GPU time on the 360 ...I suppose that this saving and optimization was significant, otherwise I don'T believe that they would have even bothered with another AA tech.

Well since its different strokes for different folks....

It wont bother some people but it will bother me because I like IQ, I just do.

These current generation consoles (xbox/ps3) were also advertised as HD game platforms so when you have sub HD content on your HD capable console people feel a bit short changed.

Personally, I will and so will others. But if the argument is "graphics dont matter, game play does" then what was the point of these current gen consoles?

So do you enjoy the current Perfect Dark remake on XBLA? It's a N64 game at 1080p / 4xAA / 60 fps. Gorge yourself on IQ.

I agree that the game looks good and the compromise in resolution is probably worth it because of the other features... But let's not get to the point where we deny that the game looked a LOT better when it was at full 720p, okay? More pixels are definitely better if it's about 540p or 720p.

For sure, but often the buffers are sized to a multiple of the opaque buffer hence why they may still end up larger if one went with 1280x720 for opaque. I'm not so sure anymore how sensitive people really are to blurriness, it's a very confusing topic. Quincunx is by far the worst offender when it comes to blur, more so than sub hd games , but many seem oddly fine with it. Or I had mentioned way back how all PS3 720p games look blurry on 1080p tv's compared to their 360 counterparts because the PS3 depends on the tv's scaler which is usually junk and results in lots of blur, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that can see the difference even though to me it's as clear as night and day. I'm starting to think that some see blur as more cinematic somehow, it's weird. It must be the aliasing that bugs people with sub hd games, not the blur, because plenty of 720p games exhibit blur.
It's time to distinguish personal perception to reality here. I understood to be defensive about the sub hd games, not means bad IQ or bad developers, but really blame the QAA even worsen it's ridicolous now. Loss of details of the QAA is pretty similar between HDMI & component cable definition. & come on now compared even 1080p downscaling to 720p in a full HD on the ps3. Where are finished to gaf here? We are in a technical forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, is it confirmed yet that this screen is in 720p?

288tdhh.jpg

If so, it's the same location as the 540p screenshot: On the boat. So what could have caused this?

Back