New cell phone on Sprint

Sxotty

Legend
Ok guys I need some advice about getting a new cell phone on sprint.

I will have the unlimited data plan.

All I really want from a phone is an excellent calendar (that can talk to outlook) and the ability to tether once in awhile for email when traveling. It seems all of them will be able to tether with more or less hassle.

I was thinking of just getting the Palm Pre, but I am worried it will fall apart, and it is fairly pricey.

The Pixi though girly sounding seems more reliable (since no slider), but doesn't have wifi. I am not sure how useful wifi will be, but it seems like it might be. I think I heard only Verizon allows skype, are there alternatives on other phones? That would make wifi more attractive especially when overseas.

I understand the blackberry's are less open so I guess that means
WebOS, android, and WM are my OS choices. Unfortunately the new MS OS will not be out till next Christmas. Anyway advice is appreciated. I need to decide before June.

Looks like you'd want say... Android with Sense (EVO 4G soon or the Hero) or WP7 (Q4 '10?).

Don't underestimate Android - Goog Calendar is pretty awesome and on the fly syncing for events/contacts/email (if you have Gmail) is seriously addictive. The HTC Sprint phones have Sense which make the UI less ugly to boot and makes Calendar/Music apps just that bit much better.

I'd go for Palm personally. Great UI, best experience overall (I'd say it's even more humanist than Apple/MS), quite a lot of games (easy porting, less boring than Android due to no piracy), but currently less apps.

Windows Phone 7 is definitely in the wait/see territory, but those dudes are doing a seriously good job. Next phone is either the third Palm phone or WP7.

EDIT: if you thought the Pre's kinda pricey then you pretty much only have the Pixi as your choice. Lots of rebates going around though - don't buy from Sprint official.

First thanks for your input. I am glad to hear that the calendar stuff is up to snuff on the android phones.
Don't underestimate Android - Goog Calendar is pretty awesome and on the fly syncing for events/contacts/email (if you have Gmail) is seriously addictive. The HTC Sprint phones have Sense which make the UI less ugly to boot and makes Calendar/Music apps just that bit much better.

That is good to hear at least. It seems reviewers just ignore the calendar and gush about facebook and twitter usually :)

I'd go for Palm personally. Great UI, best experience overall (I'd say it's even more humanist than Apple/MS), quite a lot of games (easy porting, less boring than Android due to no piracy), but currently less apps.
What do you mean by "less boring"?
I am leaning toward the Pre still. Right now I use an old Treo 600. I would get the Pre I am just afraid it will break in half. If I spent $50 and it broke in half that would be ok, but $150 is a lot to throw away.
Only people who have problems make a stink so it is hard to tell, but lots of complaints exist about durability. I checked amazon and the Pre was cheaper, but there were activation fees so it came out close to the same price as Sprint official in the end. Radio shack had the pre free in march, but they don't even list it now.

As I see it now with activation
Sprint: 150 +0 = 150
Lots: 100 + 31 to 36 = 131 - 136
Amazon: 80 + 36= 116

So amazon is the cheapest, but I get a 10% discount through sprint. I guess it might be possible to sign up elsewhere, then call up sprint and get the 10% discount applied after the fact. Is there any specific place you recommend a person look?

Windows Phone 7 is definitely in the wait/see territory, but those dudes are doing a seriously good job. Next phone is either the third Palm phone or WP7.
I actually agree, but I need the phone before WP7 is coming out. Otherwise I would put it high on my list.

For the Pre (not plus) there are quite some issues with the slider mechanism, so I guess that's where the complaints are coming from.

As for Sprint loopholes I can't really help as I'm not American (oops!) but here's something that I stumbled upon: http://www.wirefly.com/template/simpleautocontent.aspx?pageid=6347&r=precentral

Right now the Pre/Pixi Plus are way cheaper on Verizon (25USD/Free) with free hotspot tethering, so if coverage/contract allows it might be a good idea (not too sure how number portability is handled in the US though)

WebOS 1.4 seems to be so consistent in terms of user styling (color choices, shapes, icon sizes) that the whole thing is just a delight to use. I hate the iPhone's jarring Web 2.0 styling and glossy spam (and even Android's not that much better either), but again I'm probability in the minority as a design major :LOL:

You can't get the phone from verizon then swap unfortunately. Sprint is by far the cheapest carrier in the US, which is the most important to me. I think I will just wait till closer to my deadline and see if any new phones come to sprint in the meantime. The best case would be the Palm Pre Plus or the Pixi Plus coming to sprint, but Verizon might have a lock in deal for some time.

You can't get the phone from verizon then swap unfortunately. Sprint is by far the cheapest carrier in the US, which is the most important to me. I think I will just wait till closer to my deadline and see if any new phones come to sprint in the meantime. The best case would be the Palm Pre Plus or the Pixi Plus coming to sprint, but Verizon might have a lock in deal for some time.

I'd say wait till the last day. Go to sprint and get a phone. See if oyu like it. In June the super sonic comes out which is an android 4g phone. Even if you don't have 4g in your area yet the phone is a beast and they are rolling 4g out big time. Faster than anyof the other companys.

You can then return your phone and get the super sonic if its within 30 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtGsNASxo8&NR=1

Its a 4.3inchdisplay with a 1ghz snapdragon

I'd say wait till the last day. Go to sprint and get a phone. See if oyu like it. In June the super sonic comes out which is an android 4g phone. Even if you don't have 4g in your area yet the phone is a beast and they are rolling 4g out big time. Faster than anyof the other companys.

You can then return your phone and get the super sonic if its within 30 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtGsNASxo8&NR=1

Its a 4.3inchdisplay with a 1ghz snapdragon

Yeah I forgot about their 30 day return policy. That is a very good idea. I was bummed b/c the HTC EVO 4G was coming out like 4 days after I have to leave. I will be out of town though I wonder if one can return the phone and get another from a different sprint store. :) Of course they may not have it on the same cheap plan I want. Especially given the tether ability they plan to have in it.

Yeah I forgot about their 30 day return policy. That is a very good idea. I was bummed b/c the HTC EVO 4G was coming out like 4 days after I have to leave. I will be out of town though I wonder if one can return the phone and get another from a different sprint store. :) Of course they may not have it on the same cheap plan I want. Especially given the tether ability they plan to have in it.

IF you get the simply everything plan with data and everything your fine. I wouldn't buy from a store tho. I'd buy from sprint online. Much easier to return if need be. Just have to have a fedx box near ya.

I was going to get the everything data family plan (as I will have more than one line). I am not sure how their returns work though, and I personally hate doing that sort of thing (planning to return before I buy). It looks like palm is selling out anyway though so I guess that makes my choices simpler :)

Back